AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On BAYLEAF auction ID 5798569700. A new 1292Q. I wonder, how long do you think the PJ has been sitting in broad daylight with the lens caps off? Isn't this how phosphors get burned?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm selling that projector. It was only outside long enough to take the photos. Taking the photos in sunlight with no flash is the only way to truly demonstrate the wear on the tubes. But thanks for promoting it! :) If I left it in the sun the C-Element would be burned. The phosphour is burned by watching it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just did a quick setup, no optical focus, astig/flare or EM adjustments. I could see why you would knock it since you're selling an Ampro 4300 on ebay right now.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No, it's coz I have an XG110 hanging in my ceiling right now, that blows your screenshots to pieces. Seriously, I hope it's your camera, coz if your watching that, buy a digital

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well you don't have to buy it then if your happy with your setup.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Jeez you guys. Which one of you is going in for the kill?

Suddenly everyones a critic. The auction clearly stated little setup was done.

I believe Rob also has a good idea of what he's doing. (Anyone hear of PSI or Nine3 media?)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotguy8289
(Anyone hear of PSI or Nine3 media?)
I don't think mentioning PSI is a very good way to establish that anyone know what they are doing because PSI definitely don't know what they are doing :confused:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
B.Hegelstad... please clarify if you're insinuating PSI of old, or PSI of the new ownership.

I've had good talks with PSI of new ownership. While I have not purchased from them yet, I do plan on a purchase this week from Matt, who seems like a pretty good guy.

PSI of old didn't have good reviews. But PSI of new seems to be doing a pretty good job for someone taking over alot of bad news, from what I hear.

But I guess that's why PSI of new is taking on a new name. To distance theirselves from the previous ownership?

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Heh,

I was watching that auction a bit. If I had the cash, I would buy it.

The screen shots are among the worst that I've seen. I'm sure a 103x could make better screen shots. Could be the simple matter of not using a tri-pod. The first time I tried to take a screen shot I didn't use a tri-pod and my pix came out like that. When not using a flash you pretty much have to use a tri-pod unless you are amazingly still.

UFO, if you didn't use a tri-pod, try that. You may get shots that look like what you really see from the pj (to a certain extent.)

-B

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Guys, what we need to remember is that not all PJ's are sold from their ceiling mount, where they have already been calibrated and adjusted and whatever and are at their beginner level optimum.

Most PJ's sold are those that are delivered from a seller, to a reseller who check out the PJ to make sure it's running, then relists that PJ on ebay. It takes a couple hours minimum to get a begginner level picture. But most resellers only have time for a 15 minute setup.

Never look at a screenshot for indicators of how a CRT projector performs. A perfect example of this is Curt, who hasn't the foggiest idea of how to take a screen shot picture, yet the fact remains that he has some of the best performing reseller PJ's in the US/Canada countries.

Ps. Brian get over the screenshot already. :D I wouldn't buy a PJ based on that screenshot due to the fact that there is very little in the pic other than a shiny ring. Get some colors in there and some sort of objects in the background that can allow the average user to see just how much detail you dialed into that particular Sony. :lol: :)

But then again, I might buy that PJ based on the fact that you are a known Sony 12XX 7" CRT projector fanatic, who proably dialed the puppy in pretty well before selling it.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Here's another,

This pic from the 1271 (A much lesser quality pj), I sort of didn't want to upload because it's got a few problems. The issues with this pic come from my camera (blotchy black due to it's CCD struggling with the black level of the pj.) Actually, I don't remember where the red dots in the pic come from but they were not of the projected image.

My whole point that I'm trying to make is this Sony 1292 is most likely looking much better then the screen shots in that auction. Could be just a matter of taking better screen shots. (And the PotC shot dosn't look bad at all compared to the nemo shots.)

Edit- The blacks look a little bit crushed in this pic to me but I think it was fine in the projected image but my camera without a flash (obviously) had difficulty getting it all. I maybe could have done some other adjustment to the camera but I don't know much about manually setting up a camera.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Quote:
Invalid Attachment specified. The post or the thread may have been moved into the archive.
:(

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie
B.Hegelstad... please clarify if you're insinuating PSI of old, or PSI of the new ownership.

I've had good talks with PSI of new ownership. While I have not purchased from them yet, I do plan on a purchase this week from Matt, who seems like a pretty good guy.

PSI of old didn't have good reviews. But PSI of new seems to be doing a pretty good job for someone taking over alot of bad news, from what I hear.

But I guess that's why PSI of new is taking on a new name. To distance theirselves from the previous ownership?
I ordered a new tube from Matt in march this year and i got an old used one and when i returned it i got the bill myself + i got only some of my money back now an then and the last payment i got a week ago so it is the most expensive nothing i have bought.

They still owe me for the shipping but i have gotten the money back for the tube.

Good Luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Seems like they (PSI) are really changing things now based on auctions dumping CRT parts and the new website with a lot more digital pj information.

-Brian

Edit- I wish I had picked up that broken Barco 1209 they recently sold for $127! I think I could have used the parts.

Another edit.= Sadly, that's all I can do for pics from my 1271 have-ing sold it a long time ago. I do miss it. Those can be pretty great with new tubes.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Brian, I remember that auction and I regret my words above, because I also now remember how awestruck I was with the ring pictures when you auctioned off that PJ. I guess I just feel that the average newbie wouldn't realize much from the two-color pic (gold & grayscale).

Bjorn, hope you get your shipping costs back. But *most companies* (in the USA) do not refund shipping costs even when something is their fault. Still though, that sucks.

I'll be calling Matt anyhow, on Monday. He's PM'd a few pointers over the last several months and worked his way into my confidence. So I'll be sending him a few of my duckies ($) shortly (for an XG ceiling mount).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie
Bjorn, hope you get your shipping costs back. But *most companies* (in the USA) do not refund shipping costs even when something is their fault. Still though, that sucks.

I'll be calling Matt anyhow, on Monday. He's PM'd a few pointers over the last several months and worked his way into my confidence. So I'll be sending him a few of my duckies ($) shortly (for an XG ceiling mount).
Matt was always nice but when things got wrong i begun getting answers from different persons all the time.

It's maybe the best way to try with less expensive stuff as your first order and maybe work your way up ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.