AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cable says on it "HDMI Technology E226001 (UL) CL3 25AWG 75C 30V Ethereal". But doesn't say which HDMI version. How do i tell if it's good enough for 3d? This is from a prewire done and I don't have any 3d display yet to test it. I'd like to figure this out ahead of time in case I need to buy a different cable and run it through walls and ceiling.

Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely says ethereal. And I can't see any other text on it other than what I put in the original. I'll have to check the other end of the cable. Hopefully it says more.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20809789

My cable says on it "HDMI Technology E226001 (UL) CL3 25AWG 75C 30V Ethereal". But doesn't say which HDMI version. How do i tell if it's good enough for 3d? This is from a prewire done and I don't have any 3d display yet to test it. I'd like to figure this out ahead of time in case I need to buy a different cable and run it through walls and ceiling.

Thanks

The markings from your HDMI cable do not indicate if it is high speed or not. How long is the cable? Since it does say it uses 25AWG (25 gauge) conductors then would not assume it would support the bandwidth requirements for 3D if it is longer than perhaps 12 to 15 ft. (4 to 5 meters). Do you already own a Blu-ray Disc player and a HDTV that can accept regular 2D video from the Blu-ray Disc player at 1080p/60. If you do then use the cable in question to directly connect the Blu-ray Disc player to your existing HDTV than set the player to force the output to 1080p/60. If your HDTV can also support "Deep Color" then set the Blu-ray Disc player to also use "deep color" if it supports this. If this works alright with this setup then the cable should also be able to support 1080p/24 3D in frame packing signal format since the bandwidth requirements for HDMI are about the same.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. This cable is already installed into the walls/ceiling. I def want to find out if it's good enough before I start repainting the room. I don't have any of that equipment, but I should get my Sony HW30 on Monday. So i will have to hook my computer up to te hw30 and try it out before my father gets here an construction begins... Hopefully the builder didnt cheap out....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't buy it, it was part of my pre-wire, I'm just trying to figure out if I need to try and replace it right now, before I start work putting a false wall in, recarpeting and repainting the room.

I'd never heard of them before either

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a way to test this out with a computer with a DVI to HDMI converter, and a hdmi to DVI converter on the other end of it? If 1920x1200 60fps refresh works, does that means its ok?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20811121

Is there a way to test this out with a computer with a DVI to HDMI converter, and a hdmi to DVI converter on the other end of it? If 1920x1200 60fps refresh works, does that means its ok?

If you can pass 1080p 60Hz without problems you can pass 3D. 1080 24Hz 3D uses about 15% less bandwidth than 1080P 60Hz.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, right now im writing this from my laptop with a display port to hdmi adapter, then the prewired HDMI cablw, then hdmi to DVI converter, then my computer monitor.

Doing 1920x1200 32 bit color. So I guess I don't have to replace this cable... yes! that was going to be a pain....

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo /forum/post/20811811

What about this one? It says standard speed, but with ethernet. I only ask because it's what's in my ceiling already. I guess I'm beat because it doesn't say "high speed"?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

SIMPLE, does it pass 1080p 60Hz without a problem? For the 100 time that is all you need to know to KNOW.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo
It says standard speed, but with ethernet...
There are no passive high speed cables that length. A good cable of that length might be good for a bit rate something around 50% more than that required for 1080p60 with 8 bit color depth. As always, performance depends on more than the cable. It depends on all the electronics involved, the bit rate of the data being transmitted, and the environment. The only way you are going to know is to try it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
That product will support "High Speed" HDMI.

Note that when that product was created (if it has a blue tip on the HDMI termnal) the HDMI specs were 1.3.

And as all of the blue tipped Ethereal Cables were tested to 1.3 Cat/2 specs, which are the same as the current "High Speed" specs you will be fine.

All Ethereal Branded HDMI cables since the beginnings will support at least 5 Gbs (1080P/60)

Most (6 meters or less) will support a full 10.2 Gbs.

All (at 10 meters and less) will support 3D as it is presented today (it currently uses about 6.75 Gbs).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.