AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is pretty expensive. I think you could get it for a lot less if you look around for sales. It's probably a few hundred to set that up and calibrated, it is not that hard to do yourself nowadays though. Setting up a receiver is pretty much plugging it in, plugging in a hdmi cable, plugging in a few speaker wires, and plugging in the mic and pressing calibrate. You could pay a lot more for a "professional" set-up but that is not worth it for that set up.

quick calc in my head says this is only about 3000 bucks in equipment.

also those speakers are HUGE. could be too big for your liking in only a 13x17 room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22208947

That is pretty expensive. I think you could get it for a lot less if you look around for sales. It's probably a few hundred to set that up and calibrated, it is not that hard to do yourself nowadays though. Setting up a receiver is pretty much plugging it in, plugging in a hdmi cable, plugging in a few speaker wires, and plugging in the mic and pressing calibrate. You could pay a lot more for a "professional" set-up but that is not worth it for that set up.

quick calc in my head says this is only about 3000 bucks in equipment.

So in your mind I am overspending by about a grand?

I remember how much of a pain in the ass my car stereo was to get calibrated, so i am a little apprehensive about that process. Maybe home theater is difference. It's just when folks start talking about crossovers, plasma lighting and any other type of eqing it seems like a big deal

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22208970

So in your mind I am overspending by about a grand?

I remember how much of a pain in the ass my car stereo was to get calibrated, so i am a little apprehensive about that process. Maybe home theater is difference. It's just when folks start talking about crossovers, plasma lighting and any other type of eqing it seems like a big deal

Yeah just a rough estimate but I'd say a grand.

Yeah car audio is much more complicated then home theatre is nowadays. The crossover and such is very simple thing to do, most receivers do it automatically now. Setting up a home stereo "decently" is about as hard as turning on a computer and opening a program.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22208901

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=803&crid=305&cat_name=HOME+THEATER+BUNDLES

Any idea what kinda of prices i could expect if was feeling lazy and wanted to pay somebody to set-up and calibrate this system

Dirkmcgirk,

We love to spend other people's money. Based on your link, is it safe to assume that you have a $4000 budget? You probably should include a photo of your planned space from multiple angles. It will help with member suggestions. Will the space just be for watching video entertainment or will it be your music sanctuary as well? What type of speakers do you currently have? What speakers have you auditioned in the past that you really liked? The members here will walk you through the set-up process, so you can avoid spending money on an installer. If you post pictures with your questions, the answers will be more targeted to the proper solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_M  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22209194

Dirkmcgirk,

We love to spend other people's money. Based on your link, is it safe to assume that you have a $4000 budget? You probably should include a photo of your planned space from multiple angles. It will help with member suggestions. Will the space just be for watching video entertainment or will it be your music sanctuary as well? What type of speakers do you currently have? What speakers have you auditioned in the past that you really liked? The members here will walk you through the set-up process, so you can avoid spending money on an installer. If you post pictures with your questions, the answers will be more targeted to the proper solution.

Thanks i will post a video tonight. The space will be for everything from video entertainment(movies & football) to music (folk, neosoul, r&b and rock). I am starting with nothing except a plasma tv. I have never auditoned any speakers outside of my car stereo and my current hometheater consists of my beloved $500 yamaha pianocraft bookshelf system from college

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dirkmcgirk,

Take a couple of your favorite CDs to your local speaker dealer and audition as many of them as you can. Take notes on what you perceive the differences to be. Take notes about the listening environment, your seating location relative to the speakers that are being audition, and the components that are connected to the speakers. Take your CDs to bestbuy and similar brick and mortar stores has well. You might find that those speakers might be good enough. There is nothing wrong with spending less money.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dirkmcgirk,

Even knowing nothing about your space and how much of it is available for your system, I can pose a few comments and suggestions:

It is a crime to spend $4000 on a system that contains only a single 10” subwoofer. Even if you lack the space for a refrigerator sized 18” ported sub, there are many compact subs available that are much better than the one in the system you are considering. And good bass will be the most noticeable improvement in any sound system.

Do you need towers? They take up a lot of space, and good bookshelf speakers crossed over to a good single or especially paired subs will provide superior sound.

There are many receivers out there (eg. Denon) that include Audyssey equalization, a simple way to configure your system yourself

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22209679

Dirkmcgirk,

Even knowing nothing about your space and how much of it is available for your system, I can pose a few comments and suggestions:

It is a crime to spend $4000 on a system that contains only a single 10” subwoofer. Even if you lack the space for a refrigerator sized 18” ported sub, there are many compact subs available that are much better than the one in the system you are considering. And good bass will be the most noticeable improvement in any sound system.

Do you need towers? They take up a lot of space, and good bookshelf speakers crossed over to a good single or especially paired subs will provide superior sound.

There are many receivers out there (eg. Denon) that include Audyssey equalization, a simple way to configure your system yourself

Thanks for the advice. I will say, however, I don't live in a single family. I live in a townhome, albeit a very well constructed luxury ownhome. Taking that into consideration, wouldn't a subwoofer to likes of which you describe be more trouble than it's worth. I can speak with any decent amount of education on this, but it seems that towers would provide more sound that a book shelf in addition to them being more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22209722

Thanks for the advice. I will say, however, I don't live in a single family. I live in a townhome, albeit a very well constructed luxury ownhome. Taking that into consideration, wouldn't a subwoofer to likes of which you describe be more trouble than it's worth. I can speak with any decent amount of education on this, but it seems that towers would provide more sound that a book shelf in addition to them being more aesthetically pleasing.

do people live below or above you? if you put the sub on an outside wall or one that isn't beside a neighbour you probably won't have any problems with a medium sized sub

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My room is the same smallish size as yours and those klipsch would be great for movies, but they are pretty big, especially the towers. I would drop that sub and marantz receiver and go with an onkyo 809 (last years model, good power output and excellent video processor, around 650 dollars) or 818 (new model, has audyssey XT32, 899 ish dollars) and an internet direct Epik Legend sub (499 dollars plus shipping) or Epik Empire sub (900 dollars plus shipping). I have the Empire in my room and it can get ridiculous in there. May want to stick with the Legend if you have close neighbors on the other side of the wall.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Some people find the Klipsch horns fatiguing. Be sure to listen to some before you buy and make certain that they are right for you.

Also, those Klipsch are popular because they are very dynamic, high sensitivity speakers that can get very loud with the same amount of amplifier power in comparison to other speakers. So well suited for a dedicated home theater where you want a lot of volume. Doesn't sound like you need that. I agree with DM. Go listen to some speakers at your local hifi stores. Some brands you might look for are Kef, Paradigm, B&W, Martin Logan, Focal, PSB--to name a few. If you would like some Internet direct speakers, look at Ascend Acoustics.

And I agree. Look at different subs. Best values on good subs are almost always the Internet direct sub retailers: HSU, Epik, SVS, Outlaw Audio, and Rythmik.

Finally, get an Onkyo, Marantz, or Denon receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ or higher version of Audyssey. Set up the microphone that goes with it in your primary listening position, and it will automagically configure and EQ your speakers and your sub. Makes it fairly painless to get better sound

·
Registered
30,264 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkmcgirk  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22212079

bump

Bump for what? A few of us have responded since your last post with text. WagBoss even asked a question that you haven't answered. What are you thinking now?

Also, it would be helpful to know the dimensions of that living room (both area and volume). It's hard to tell from videos and pictures due to perspective changes caused by camera lenses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22209846

do people live below or above you? if you put the sub on an outside wall or one that isn't beside a neighbour you probably won't have any problems with a medium sized sub

No one lives above me. I live in town homes similar to this

·
Registered
11,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1419767/is-this-home-theater-bundle-decent-for-a-13x17-basement#post_22211179

Some people find the Klipsch horns fatiguing. Be sure to listen to some before you buy and make certain that they are right for you.

Also, those Klipsch are popular because they are very dynamic, high sensitivity speakers that can get very loud with the same amount of amplifier power in comparison to other speakers. So well suited for a dedicated home theater where you want a lot of volume. Doesn't sound like you need that. I agree with DM. Go listen to some speakers at your local hifi stores. Some brands you might look for are Kef, Paradigm, B&W, Martin Logan, Focal, PSB--to name a few. If you would like some Internet direct speakers, look at Ascend Acoustics.

And I agree. Look at different subs. Best values on good subs are almost always the Internet direct sub retailers: HSU, Epik, SVS, Outlaw Audio, and Rythmik.

Finally, get an Onkyo, Marantz, or Denon receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ or higher version of Audyssey. Set up the microphone that goes with it in your primary listening position, and it will automagically configure and EQ your speakers and your sub. Makes it fairly painless to get better sound

I think this says it all. There is certainly nothing wrong with Klipsch, I think they are very dynamic for home theater. But speakers are like tennis shoes.. Tons of choices, really depends on what you like. What your preferences are, the layout of your room, etc. For the amount you are spending I would defintiely find an audio store near you that has brands like:

- Paradigm

- Kef

- B&W

- PSB

- Kef

- Goldenear

etc.

There are also internet direct speaker companies like Ascend, Aperion, etc that are in your budget and offer home trials.

Lots of choices out there. I would also second the subwoofer recommendation. You can do much better for your money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts