AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all -- I have spent nearly 2 months researching, listening to and reading about speakers. Been oscillating between on-walls and in-walls - but I want in-walls for the aesthetics of it. The challenge is that (1) the studs on the wall where my TV is mounted restrict speaker location and (2) the wall is a weight bearing wall and I don't want to have to modify the wall structure if possible.


Here is what I am thinking equipment wise:
  • Rotel RSX-1057 (already have)
  • Atlantic Technology IWCB-525 for R & L
  • Atlantic Technology FS-3200 for Center (there is a double stud going down the center of the wall
  • Atlantic Technology IWTS-14 for surriounds


The attached picture (taken from the center of the viewing area) has both the stud layout (red) and the approximately speaker placement (white paper) taped to the wall. Is the placement of the left channel just to close to the wall?


And if so, would I maybe just be better off doing three wall mounts (ex: 3 - FS3200s or ERA PL24/28s or RBH WM-30s for the fronts) so I can place the speaker further from the corner?


Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions.


Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
I realize you are looking for asthetics but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and do what works and not what looks good. best of luck to you either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Most threads like this are grim, because the person has either already decided to make huge sacrifices to the sound for looks, or ends up doing that.


Though I will say that's a very useful photo, with the studs and speaker locations marked; and you're asking a good question about the side wall. But an onwall is going to have the same problems, pretty much. You can probably live with it, especially if you can put something on the sidewall to break up the reflection on some of the frequencies.


So it's really more of an issue between the performance of onwalls vs. inwalls.


BTW that center isn't the one you're planning to use, is it? Looks a little small, the one you mentioned looks bigger.


You don't say how far away you're seating is, or much else about the listening position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14184687


Most threads like this are grim, because the person has either already decided to make huge sacrifices to the sound for looks, or ends up doing that.

I am with you on this buzzy -- I have read lots of threads and see them all end up that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14184687


Though I will say that's a very useful photo, with the studs and speaker locations marked; and you're asking a good question about the side wall. But an onwall is going to have the same problems, pretty much. You can probably live with it, especially if you can put something on the sidewall to break up the reflection on some of the frequencies.

I haven't decided - I have a preference but I haven't decided!
(I have however decided that my next house will have a perfect room for a shared theater room - ONE CAN DREAM RIGHT?)


If the in-walls and on-walls will have the same reflection issues than that will somewhat move away from a "technical preference" to a "personal preference".


The other side of this wall is a closet which is mostly open (it is a closet and I have not aesthetics committee to make happy) so I may actually bite the bullet and tweak the framing (I did this to install the Middle Atlantic Rack) since it actually only involves one "new" stud and just making a slight change for the Middle Atlantic rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14184687


So it's really more of an issue between the performance of onwalls vs. inwalls.

Understood -- and in my next place -- I'll have the room for floor standing speakers behind my acoustically transparent screen!


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14184687


BTW that center isn't the one you're planning to use, is it? Looks a little small, the one you mentioned looks bigger.

If I go with the Atlantic Technologies I will go with their FS-2300 -- if I go with other wall mounted speakers, I will get the appropriate center.


And as I have been thinking about this -- if I have the wall open I may actually just "tweak" the studs going down the center of the wall (with more support than is there currently) so that I can do a matching center LCR using the speakers of my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ /forum/post/14184687


You don't say how far away you're seating is, or much else about the listening position.
Here is a link to a PDF that has a HORRIBLE google sketch up drawing I did that will hopefully provide some perspective. The seating position will be about 3-4 feet off the back wall (I may need to move the couch when watching movies).



Any additional feedback/thoughts/perspective is greatly appreciated as I want to make a decision this week -- I can't stand using only the speaker on my Pioneer PDP-5070 plasma!



Thanks,

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by malovich /forum/post/14184556


I realize you are looking for asthetics but sometimes you need to bite the bullet and do what works and not what looks good. best of luck to you either way.

Agreed -- I am certainly willing do do on-walls if they are going to be of benefit (i.e. reduce the issues) but don't want to go that way "assuming" that they will be "better". I am new to this and I know just enough to be VERY dangerous!



Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hi Folks,


New to the forum and didn't want to start a new thread. I want to add an in-wall center channel speaker to my bedroom.


My problem is that is a stud is located where I'd like to place the in-wall speaker. See photo below:


Pre 2003 Construction



Recent 2008 Photo


I've been given permission by my wife
to upgrade the TV and speakers in our bedroom. If I don't touch the center stud the speaker will be off centered from the new LCD TV I'm planning to wall mount.


I don't want to mount the center channel on the wall for aesthetic purposes. Not sure if it's really worth the time, effort and materials, but, my current plan of attack is to remove an 8" portion from the stud where I'd like to place the in-wall speaker.


I would then brace both the top and bottom portions of the stud to the studs on both sides. I'd also provide more support by adding studs cut to fit wherever needed.


Any suggestions as to how I might solve this problem without messing with the stud? I don't want to cause structural problems in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Ok, something a bit more helpful, but I just can't stop looking at those curtains.


How 'bout just putting the speaker on a small stand under the TV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14236970


Ok, something a bit more helpful, but I just can't stop looking at those curtains.


How 'bout just putting the speaker on a small stand under the TV?

Ditto - the curtains are nasty and I wouldn't be able to even relax long enough to think about speakers until that "elephant" was out of the room. They're actually nice windows behind the curtain - just get some white blinds no bigger than the width/length of the windows. I realize those curtains and bedspread aren't your fault.


About in-wall mounting the center, I've had a similar dilemma (so will just about everyone that has to retrofit existing construction since studs are 18" apart, which is obviously narrower than most decent center speakers). You can play with cutting out a section and then bracing it but it's a lot of work.


Also get a decent flat screen TV to replace that toob TV before worrying about high-end in-wall speakers. Otherwise you're driving a car whose front half is a ford focus and back half is a ferrari. A clown car, basically.


Also, chuck that oak TV stand. *shiver*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14237103


Ditto - the curtains are nasty and I wouldn't be able to even relax long enough to think about speakers until that "elephant" was out of the room. They're actually nice windows behind the curtain - just get some white blinds no bigger than the width/length of the windows. I realize those curtains and bedspread aren't your fault.

Curtains are low on the priority list.



About in-wall mounting the center, I've had a similar dilemma (so will just about everyone that has to retrofit existing construction since studs are 18" apart, which is obviously narrower than most decent center speakers). You can play with cutting out a section and then bracing it but it's a lot of work.


Also get a decent flat screen TV to replace that toob TV before worrying about high-end in-wall speakers. Otherwise you're driving a car whose front half is a ford focus and back half is a ferrari. A clown car, basically.

I bought the Samsung LN-40A750 and will mount it on the wall. I'm also replacing the speakers and placing them in the wall, hence my problem.


Also, chuck that oak TV stand. *shiver*
Got new A/V furniture so all components aren't visible.

Still hoping someone can provide a solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi728 /forum/post/14237362

Got new A/V furniture so all components aren't visible.

Still hoping someone can provide a solution.

Keep in mind I was just breaking your ball$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14237658


Keep in mind I was just breaking your ball$

I know! But I was starting to wonder if I accidently logged into HDTV's Next DesignStar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14237398


Can you post up a pic of your new A/V furniture? It may help us help you.

Haven't received the furniture yet. But it won't be an issue. The stud is my main problem. Don't want to compromise the structural integrity of the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi728 /forum/post/14238240


Haven't received the furniture yet. But it won't be an issue. The stud is my main problem. Don't want to compromise the structural integrity of the house.

One stud isn't going to bring the wall down, don't worry - even removing the stud completely wouldn't matter but just for psychological contentment you can chop the stud right above where the speaker needs to go and then brace it by attaching a horizontal piece to the neighboring studs on the left and ride side of it.. as in, taking two 2x4's and cutting them down to fit between the two adjacent studs and then sandwiching both of them so they're standing up (the 4" face is showing) and then either getting some of those framing right-angle pieces of metal or just putting nails through the studs you want them to fasten to. So they will form the horizontal part of an upside down T and brace the stud that you shortened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14238899


One stud isn't going to bring the wall down, don't worry - even removing the stud completely wouldn't matter but just for psychological contentment you can chop the stud right above where the speaker needs to go and then brace it by attaching a horizontal piece to the neighboring studs on the left and ride side of it.. as in, taking two 2x4's and cutting them down to fit between the two adjacent studs and then sandwiching both of them so they're standing up (the 4" face is showing) and then either getting some of those framing right-angle pieces of metal or just putting nails through the studs you want them to fasten to. So they will form the horizontal part of an upside down T and brace the stud that you shortened.

Thanks ODD!


You basically explained what I was planning to do. Only you explained it much better than I did in my original post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi728 /forum/post/14239289


Thanks ODD!


You basically explained what I was planning to do. Only you explained it much better than I did in my original post.

You'll need to put some 3/4" plywood between the 2x4s if you want the piece to be the same width of the vertical 2x4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi728 /forum/post/14239289


Thanks ODD!


You basically explained what I was planning to do. Only you explained it much better than I did in my original post.

By the way, as long as you're going through all that trouble, make sure that the speaker you're putting in is the type that has a backer box, otherwise you're losing a lot of sound with the inside of the wall absorbing it.


One more tip - buy a RotoZip on amazon.com (an amazing tool first invented for cutting drywall but has evolved into a multi-function tool with all sorts of adapters). This tool is INVALUABLE for custom HT A/V work and drywall. I used to sit with a drywall hand saw sloppily cutting squares to install electrical outlets or for threading speakers through studs, and making a big mess. With that RotoZip I just zip-zip-zip and have a hole with VERY minimal drywall material removed by the sawing process, which means the patching will be easier because when you put back the piece you removed, the gap is much smaller than using a sloppy drywall saw. I f'ing HATE patching drywall so $100 for a rotozip has saved me thousands in nerves.


I also bought the Rotozip vacuum adapter which means that as its cutting, there's practically no drywall dust kicked back into the rest of the room.


Hate to sound like a fanboy but its one of those gems where if my friends see it in action they get a little glimmer in the eye. Check all the 4.5 and 5 star reviews on amazon

 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top