AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy was talking about movie theater DLP's in reguard to how much better than film they are? And this is his statement... "It's not 1080p -- it's way better than that. A DLP projector uses three Digital Micromirror Devices (DMD), each with an array of 2048x1080 mirrors. For comparison, the imaging mirror array is within 1 mm of the size of a film print image. Another advantage is the print does not loose resolution in the transfer process."

·
Registered
21,578 Posts
Just saw "The Chronicles of Narnia" DLP movie at the Harkins Arizona Mills DLP theater in Tempe, Az. Looked nice for what I've seen of theater DLP movies.

Harkins has another digital projector for some years at Arrowhead Mall but frankly, that picture never looked near as sharp or clear to me as this one.

But still - I find DLP theater to be artificially sharp especially as it outlines people,

the color pallette just ain't as infinite as film (especially faces), and colors aren't fully accurate - the grass in the movie was way too bright green. Still, this movie was enjoyable in digital.

I have a habit of frequenting local theaters that know how to project film correctly and it shows in outstanding pictures. I am comparing the best digital (this projector is a pretty new Christie at this theater) to competent film.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
The guy was talking based upon poor understanding of how the whole thing works. It is a huge discussion.

Film has a far higher resolution (smaller pixels than the mirrors) but degrades as you show it more and more.

In reality, DLP has the POTENTIAL to look better in a commercial theatre due to the fact that the "print" does not break down and there is no gate shake, but in reality, it is all about the transfer. And film usually looks better. However to my eyes, the film noise and gate shake and such bug the crap out of me, so i lean to Digital..

Any one film can look better in either application. But neither compare to a pristine 1st generation print in a proper theatre.

·
Registered
21,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman
Any one film can look better in either application. But neither compare to a pristine 1st generation print in a proper theatre.
And usually I see a pristine 1st generation print in a proper theater.

·
Registered
412 Posts
4K resolution is where you're finally starting to get close to film, but even then you're not quite there. 35mm film is effectively 10-15MP, 4K being a little less than 9MP. 2K is good and all, but we need 4K before we can start playing taps for film. And, of course, resolution isn't everything. We also need to see a minimum of 36-bit color and projectors that can really display the full range at once. Things are getting better, and I'm hoping it won't be long before we can say goodbye to scratches and jumps.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Comparisons of 1080 3-chip DLP vs film in a theater had most people favoring DLP. 4K is essentially perfect at a 1:1 width to distance ratio, so it is likely to be around for quite awhile. Greater resolution may simply not be noticeable. But the improved quality of each pixel and the consistency and freedom from judder, burns, lint, what I would call "grain shift", and other problems are already a huge improvement over film. I'd rather lose resolution to have improved image. IMO, the color from DLP already blows away film in a theater. As does the real contrast ratio. Digital is already better in about every way *but* resolution. And resolution is only one piece of the puzzle.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I think TAPS will be playing for film before we surpass film quality with digital. If you want the best quality then you would be running 70mm or IMAX but we see how rare that is.

Digital is the wave of the future, the writing is on the wall. It is just a matter of getting all the existing film projectors out and replaced with digital that is the problem. There will also have to be a lot of screens getting replaced for moire at the same time as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.