AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the following (from the ReplayTV website) intended to discourage users (should they elect to discontinue the service in the future)?!......

or are they so poorly informed about how a typical ReplayTV unit is actually being used (in conjunction with cable/satellite boxes or OTA converter boxes)?!......

Who's using a ReplayTV unit these days to record (the very few) analog channels??

"As we have said previously, the analog programming that the ReplayTV units are capable of recording is in fact likely to be converted to digital signals in the very near future at which point the ReplayTV units will no longer be able to record such programming. We encourage our users to consider digital video recorders that have this digital recording capability as well as additional technological advances which are not a part of the ReplayTV units (all of which were end of lifed by 2006). For monthly subscribers of the ReplayTV service, we are exploring options by which you may continue paying for and receiving such service going forward. We apologize in advance should there be any minor disruptions in the ReplayTV service while we implement the continuation of the programming guide. Thank you. ReplayTV"

The addition of OTA channel guide listings (including subchannels) and IR codes for OTA converter boxes would be very helpful for many subscribers.....(just in case they're continuing to monitor our thoughts and concerns)......I know.....good luck with this!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I still don't understand this doublespeak. Replay TV is capable of recording the digital and Hdtv programming, however the output will be sd quality. For now that suffices for most of us. However I would appreciate updated cable box controls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"We encourage our users to consider digital video recorders that have this digital recording capability as well as additional technological advances which are not a part of the ReplayTV units"

This statement makes it clear to me that they want people to switch to DirectTV.

·
Banned
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobe32 /forum/post/20764138

"We encourage our users to consider digital video recorders that have this digital recording capability as well as additional technological advances which are not a part of the ReplayTV units"

This statement makes it clear to me that they want people to switch to DirectTV.
......Ditto!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobe32 /forum/post/20764138

What's really funny is that at least to most of the people I talk to, DirectTV isn't the first thing that comes to mind -- Tivo, cable company DVRs, and HTPC's are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my household a HTPC records HD programming from clear-QAM cable or OTA, analog cable and SD OTA digital is recorded VCR-like using Philips HDD equipped recorders (also withdrawn from market). The 20-series ReplayTV has been handed down to another family member. More low-end fully bundled choices are needed. HTPC works, but is costly and complex for non-technically inclined users. For many people it is overkill. Other non-subscription choices would be appreciated. Where are the entrepreneurs looking for niche markets? Has American ingenuity been crushed by our current overly regulated and litigated marketplace? Is there still opportunity for small business startups, or has the door been slammed shut?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time User /forum/post/20773635

...HTPC works, but is costly and complex for non-technically inclined users. For many people it is overkill. Other non-subscription choices would be appreciated. Where are the entrepreneurs looking for niche markets?

In most cases you're referring to recording from cable. Many areas use digital schemes, some are even all digital, some (NYC, and surrounds) are full digital only with every single channel encrypted as well. So on most of these systems you need a Cable Card- which means your 2nd party equipment must be certified by CableLabs. Who funds CableLabs? The Cable co's fund it. So they do everything they can to delay, stall, and prevent 2nd party developers releasing any equipment that would compete with their own DVR offerings.

Quote:

Has American ingenuity been crushed by our current overly regulated and litigated marketplace? Is there still opportunity for small business startups, or has the door been slammed shut?

American ingenuity has been bought and sold off by Cable co lobbyists years ago. Don't make the mistake by thinking that the current American Cable TV system is even remotely related to free enterprise...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

Quote:

...analog cable and SD OTA digital is recorded VCR-like using Philips HDD equipped recorders (also withdrawn from market)...

Funai (Philips, Magnavox, Sylvania, etc...) still makes a Magnavox 515 HDD DVDR (previously a 513, then a 2160 - 500GB / 320GB / 160GB respectively). After the "$40 Coupon CECBs", my next 'Digital' purchase was an open-box Panasonic EZ17-DMR (NTSC, ATSC, QAM) DVDR (no HDD). Better than the RadioShack (Funai) 'Clearance Sale' Presidian DVDR (NTSC, no HDD) for transferring VHS tapes to DVD but the HDD on my Magnavox 2160A really makes things much easier. Prior to the 6/15/11 'EPG Announcement', if I lost my ReplayTVs, my plan was to revert to OTA with 3 HDD DVDRs (CBS, NBC, ABC) since there's no IR Blaster to control any STBs. Now, with WiRNS 3.x, I'm back to OTA with CECBs and ReplayTVs.

Quote:

...HTPC works, but is costly and complex for non-technically inclined users...

HTPC is still a daunting task for technical, but 'not-so-peppy-anymore' users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.