AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Showstopper 2000 which has been working great until a few days ago. Now when I turn it on, I get the blue screen with "Please wait a few moments..." But this message never goes away and the system does not finish booting.

Does this seem like it is just a bad hard disk (which I could "repair" by upgrading to a larger hard disk)? Or does it sound like something more serious?

Assuming the answer is, "could be", is there some way to diagnose the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yep... sounds alot like a hard drive failure. The only way to be sure is of course to open the box and install the drive in your PC, where you could run tests on it (not sure if the SS2K has Maxtor disks, but, assuming it did, you could download the utilities from them).

You should also familiarize yourself with the RTV Patch program
http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/

If the drive passes all tests you could just "repatch" the drive as you would a new drive and reinstall. Of course, you could also just take this opportunity to through an 80 or 120GB drive in as well. Either way, you lose all your shows and "channels"

If you were hesitant to open the case, then I would disconnect all connections to the unit and leave it alone for a least 1/2 hour. Then, connecting only the TV out cable, try to start it up again. If you get it up, reconnect things one at a time.

Having said all that, someone else here who knows the SS2K series better than I is likely to chirp up real soon, but I just wanted to give you some advice quickly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I replaced the hard disk and everything is working fine again - so it was, indeed, just a hard disk problem.

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Problem reported and fixed with only two posts.

That may just be an AVS record!

Congrats!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.