AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder should this setup/layout be good for the sound?

See attached image.

I use a 4channel Stereo Receiver and use all 4 channels whit 2 different type speakers. One pair consists of real big towers assisted by smaller rear surrounds whit switched out tweeter and mid drive, sounds quite different from the non modified pair rear surrounds that they originally were(have 2 lying around which I've tested also(eltax, Universe Rear, item no. 1491, but the ones I use are modified(says "Boston Accoustics. Inc. 19mm polymer diaphragm ferrofluid cooling" on the tweeter I think it is))

Well anyway the smaller speakers are for the mid and higher frequencies. The big towers is for the mid levels and lower whit their big 9-10" bass and slave-bass. The tweeter is busted in one tower so I blocked the other tweeter on the other tower for more uniform sound, didn't know if disconnecting it would be safe.

I'm not all that happy whit the setup I have. Can't buy new stuff as I have no job or income and real low on cash. Just trying my best whit the stuff I have around.

I've settled whit their current locations after much experimenting moving them around, back and forth and whatnot. It's decent, well acceptable when sitting on a chair in front of the lcd but so much better on the couch/sofa though.

The desk has drawers below in both edges hanging down kinda blocking the bass when sitting on a chair in front off the lcd, this doesn't happen really that much sitting in the couch. It's good all things concerning then. But there is a odd sound area, a third location. Just stand up in front off the lcd in chair location or standing on the sofa gives a lot more lower frequencies. You can more feel the bass standing up. I reckon they are reflected off the 45degree roof, my head is basically at that level standing up but below the angle sitting down anywhere. I kinda like the sound there best off them all. Basically the drummer stuff stand out a lot clearer but high frequencies are though slight muffled as the tweeters are below ear level significantly (are level when sitting on a chair infront though, and above ear level in the couch by 10cm I would say)

But can't really have that. Can't be sitting 150cm off the ground lol...

You guys have suggestions how I could improve sound in the chair in front of the lcd but not destroying the couch location? I tried rising the speakers higher but that wasn't any good. Moving them closer together doesn't really work as the desk is so big (receiver and computer on top of it). Should I try to move them a little more further apart from the desk? Though the bookshelf and bed are kinda in the way on the right side, but moving them further apart I would need to point the speakers inward more than just straight forwards.

I did have the speakers in the right and left side room corner before(ontop the left side drawer and raised above bed on right side), but after testing at about current locations it was actually better in new locations and directly on floor for the towers. But I feel there are still work I can do to improve sound, mainly the chair location in front the lcd/desk.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well seems not many interested in the above.

To another topic concerning this all then.

Is it recommended at all to use 2 different receivers to get surround sound? I have a second 4channel Stereo receiver also but currently not in use though, I have extra speakers so I could hook up 4 more speakers for a total off 8speakers for 4.0ch Surround Sound. I could also steal another 3rd 2ch. Receiver from the next room for 2 more channels/speakers. The second 4channel Stereo receiver doesn't work that well all the time(shuts down etc sometimes so I would be more inclined to use the 2channel stereo receiver for the 4channel Surround Sound(then whit 6speakers all total)).

Is there anything bad by using 2 different receivers to get the different channels for the surround?

Sure sound wont be 100% uniform really all around as the receivers surely have different sound properties/characteristics, adding you use different speakers for each set/pair. But wouldn't it be worth testing to see just how it would work? Shouldn't 4ch be better than 2ch if I really try my best whit positions and eventual equalizers to try and get more uniform sound all around?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
"nightdog" Dolby digital surround sound is a codec, or said another way, a patented signal processing system that masters 6 discrete channels of sound into one compressed digital data stream (others please chime in here if I got this wrong). The purpose of a typical a/v receiver is to decode the digital data stream and convert it back to 5+1 analog audio streams so they can be amplified and sent to corresponding speakers and a subwoofer.

I know it's hard to give up vintage equipment, hell - I hated giving up a silver Pioneer SX stereo receiver from the 1970's - but it had finally given up the ghost after many years. About the only way you will get Dolby digital 5.1 out of your equipment is if you had a modern DD5.1 pre-amp unit that would feed the 5 analog outputs and the LFE channel to the separate analog inputs on your older 4 channel equipment. In effect you would be using a 4 channel receivers for its amplifiers only.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The receiver is connected to the analog outputs from my computer. I use a 3.5mm Stereo to 2x RCA adapter 0.2m long whit regular RCA cable extention to the receiver. My computer has 7.1 analog sound outputs. So this way I can get the separate channels to different receivers for their amplifiers only and connections to be able to hook up "Real speakers" whit speaker cable.

I don't have any "normal PC speakers" so I have to use a receiver anyway to use any speakers I have around in the house. Well I had one crappy old pair, but they are broken now, didn't just work one day any more.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the 45 degree tilted ceiling. Anyone know if you should place the speakers below that tilt or should you rather place the speakers on the opposite side where the wall and ceiling have the usual normal 90 degrees and then sit below the tilted ceiling?

Currently the speakers are on the tilted ceiling side, I'm wondering should I maybe move them to the opposite wall instead where I currently sit and put sitting location to where speakers are currently? Would it give better sound and whatnot?

Is there some kind of recommendation for layout when you have a tilted ceiling? Stuff I've read all assume rectangular asymmetric rooms.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'm confused by both "I use a 4channel Stereo Receiver" and the multiple whit's (but that's a separate issue).

Is this an older "stereo" receiver, with 4 speaker connections (A+B) or a true multi-channel AVR with a digital decoder?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLKstudios /forum/post/17054420

I'm confused by both "I use a 4channel Stereo Receiver" and the multiple whit's (but that's a separate issue).

Is this an older "stereo" receiver, with 4 speaker connections (A+B) or a true multi-channel AVR with a digital decoder?

What I mean by the 4channel Stereo Receiver is that it's a older "Stereo" Receiver whit A+B speaker connections. I use them both getting "double Stereo" 2channels. Seems I worded myself incorrectly now that I think about it(wrong terminology). It's not a multichannel thing only 2channels whit A+B speaker sets.

And whit's? It should be with. Somehow it got stuck in early years that I always wrote whit when I mean with. Trying to get it right lately but always forget time and time again to check I wrote it correctly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm, the only real question left is then which side off the room the speakers should be. their current location or should I turn all around 180 degrees everything so speakers are on the opposite wall instead where the roof isn't in that 45degree tilt. This far only had them toward the 45degree tilting roof side. So no idea how it would sound if I turned everything around(reflections etc would differ somewhat).

Then there is the question how I should orientate everything when I move everything to the room next to my room. it's 4.20m x 3.10m big compared to my current 4.20x2.66m. I just moved all furniture away from that room, next is removing stains and old wallpapers from the walls, repair holes and whatnot, painting the roof anew which after new wallpapers will be put up. The room is basically identical, a mirror reflection off my room except it is a bit wider than this one and the clothes wardrobe is inside the walls next to the door there instead as a loose piece to move around as in this room. That room was originally my room some years back, but had to leave it as my older half brother moved back home when he got into troubles, just recently moved back out to a place his own.

I'll keep stuff the way they are for now in my current room. But planning on how to orientate everything in the next room will need a little thinking. (there applies the same question about which wall side to place the speakers on, so if I figure out which is best now, would be great) But otherwise I would place the speakers in the same way next to the table and LCD. The sofa can be moved slightly away from the wall in that room as there is a little more room to work with.

To see the other room scheme look into the attachment.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well well...

I've now moved into the new room and have new layout, just a little different from the older room but not much but damn when I moved the speakers closer to the table/desk edges did it improve the sound a lot! Now I basically get same soundstage/imaging sitting in front off the desk on chair and in the sofa further back. Though it's just a bit better in the sofa. But a lot better in the chair position at the desk than I had it in the other room.

And thanks to getting the sofa away from the wall improved stuff somewhat more extra and also having more free space behind the speakers does a difference also, for the better I would say.

Damn could not be more happy whit the current setup now.

I might try a little diffrent speaker angles more soon, but it works quite well the way they are now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts