AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Samsung LED UN556300. Pic quality was awesome until I turned out the lights, watched a blu-ray in letterbox format. The for corners are very noticeably white, especially in darker scenes. It is not noticeable when the screen is entirely taken up, but very annoying in dark scenes. Is this normal with LED or a problem with my tv?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra
I bought the Samsung LED UN556300. Pic quality was awesome until I turned out the lights, watched a blu-ray in letterbox format. The for corners are very noticeably white, especially in darker scenes. It is not noticeable when the screen is entirely taken up, but very annoying in dark scenes. Is this normal with LED or a problem with my tv?
It's a common problem with edge lit LED models like the 6000 series. It's called edge bleed or light bleed, and is worse on some units and models then others. The 6300 and 6400's seem to have a high incident rate then similar models from other manufacturers though. If you don't feel like you can live with it, take it back and explain the problem, and swap it out for a new one. If you take a peak over at the official UN556300 thread, they talk about it quite a bit in much greater detail. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907
It's a common problem with edge lit LED models like the 6000 series. It's called edge bleed or light bleed, and is worse on some units and models then others. The 6300 and 6400's seem to have a high incident rate then similar models from other manufacturers though. If you don't feel like you can live with it, take it back and explain the problem, and swap it out for a new one. If you take a peak over at the official UN556300 thread, they talk about it quite a bit in much greater detail. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
I thought this was a backlit LED. Anyhow I do have a 52 LCD Samsung from last year that doesnt exhibit this issue. I wonder if I exchange the LED for the LN55C630 LCD if those would have that issue?

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
What picture mode are you in? What is your backlight setting? You can ameliorate the effects of flashlighting by switching to movie mode and keeping your backlight below 10 in the dark. Turning down your backlight will also give you deeper blacks, albeit at the expense of duller whites on dim or dark scenes. It will also save energy. Turn it down as low as you can tolerate, without the picture being too dim. This will help reduce eyestrain as well. During the day when it is bright you can crank the backlight much higher and still maintain deep blacks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra
I thought this was a backlit LED. Anyhow I do have a 52 LCD Samsung from last year that doesnt exhibit this issue. I wonder if I exchange the LED for the LN55C630 LCD if those would have that issue?
Nope, it's edge lit. Samsung doesn't have a backlit model in it's 2010 lineup as far as I know. As for the C630, since it uses CCFL backlighting, it won't have this problem. You can also try turning down the backlight brightness in settings, as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker
What picture mode are you in? What is your backlight setting? You can ameliorate the effects of flashlighting by switching to movie mode and keeping your backlight below 10 in the dark. Turning down your backlight will also give you deeper blacks, albeit at the expense of duller whites on dim or dark scenes. It will also save energy. Turn it down as low as you can tolerate, without the picture being too dim. This will help reduce eyestrain as well. During the day when it is bright you can crank the backlight much higher and still maintain deep blacks.
I tried turning down settings all the way, it did helpwith the corners although I could still see it, but it made the picture unbearable to watch. Im gonna call tech support, if they cant help me, Ill be exchanging this for the C630 LCD for 100 less anyhow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, Just got off the phone with Samsung technical support. They tried to tell me that this will go away within 1 month. Just dont know whether to believe them or not according to the research Ive done in these forums.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/19552349

I tried turning down settings all the way, it did helpwith the corners although I could still see it, but it made the picture unbearable to watch. Im gonna call tech support, if they cant help me, Ill be exchanging this for the C630 LCD for 100 less anyhow.

Or a 100 more and get the 60"

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/19552381

Update, Just got off the phone with Samsung technical support. They tried to tell me that this will go away within 1 month. Just dont know whether to believe them or not according to the research Ive done in these forums.

They want you to wait 30 days? That's just crazy. Exactly what is supposed to happen that will change the effects of having an edge-lit LCD?

You are better off with CCFL backlighting. Or, you could get a fully back lit LED with local dimming in the form of the Vizio 55 inch 553 model. Very very highly rated. Really savvy people who have done their homework end up with the Vizio.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/19551602

I wonder if I exchange the LED for the LN55C630 LCD if those would have that issue?

No, they won't. Get LN55C650. This is a conventional CCFL set that has low uniformity issues and has the best CR in the industry today among the CCFL sets. And if you are planning to get a Netflix player, the set already has it.

The edge-lit LED sets belong in the same garbage can of history where the low profile tires should be. Both just look thin and cool but don't do what they are supposed to do very well.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/0

I have been following these issues and although I can't say I have a lot of experience with led lite tv's, I can offer my experience with the 55-6800. This has the additional feature of precise dimming and as far as I can tell, does solve the light leak or flashing or whatever you want to call it. My room is very dark and black scenes exhibit none of the artifacts described here. I'm very happy with this model.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur /forum/post/19553389

No, they won't. Get LN55C650. This is a conventional CCFL set that has low uniformity issues and has the best CR in the industry today among the CCFL sets. And if you are planning to get a Netflix player, the set already has it.

The edge-lit LED sets belong in the same garbage can of history where the low profile tires should be. Both just look thin and cool but don't do what they are supposed to do very well.

I disagree. Edge-lit LED's are a perfectly useful incremental advancement in technology. The first year "B series" models naturally had some kinks to work out. What would one expect? It's new technology. There was some pretty obvious flashlighting, and especially the 55 inchers had darkened corners on bright solid-color screens. There were some annoying dimming fluctuations on dim scenes that drove people crazy.

My 55C8000 doesn't have the darkened corners like last year's B models had, and the annoying dimming fluctuations have been rectified. The flashlighting is almost non-existent if I keep my backlight down in a dark room. This is thanks to precision dimming, which is not a perfect solution by any means, but is an improvement of the tech, nonetheless.

The C8000 is noticeably improved over the B8000.

If flashlights in the corner bother you, you need to pay up and get the superior C8000 or the C6800/C6900 models. Don't expect that you can cheap out with one of the cheaper models and have everything exactly the way you want.

These edge-lit Samsungs are designed specifically to look great in brighter environments. If you want near-perfection while watching films in a dark room, you better expect to spend some time and money tracking down a Kuro. There is none better.

But don't expect to pick up a cheap Samsung edge-lit without precision dimming and be able to eat your cake too.

You get what you pay for. That's how it works.

By the way, my Samsung plasmas (I've bought five 2010's now: C450, C550, C7000's and C8000) don't have off-axis viewing degradation like my C8000 LED, and no flashlighting, but then they don't have blacks as deep as the LED either, so they do not look as good in the dark with the lights off. The C8000 if you can sit front and center looks nicer on dim/dark scenes.

The C8000 LED looks better than the PDP C8000 during the day as well, once again as long as you sit front and center.

So each technology has its advantages and disadvantages.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
Another thing. I had a C630 too. The first panel had nasty vertical banding, so bad, that I had to have Samsung authorized techs come out and replace the panel. Many others on AVS complained of this issue as well. The replacement panel was much better, and did not have the banding. But the blacks on the C630 are simply not as deep as my C8000 (LED or PDP). So you may get improved screen uniformity by going CCFL, if you're lucky and get a good one, but you will have to sacrifice contrast.

There is no free lunch. Instead of a CCFL I would rather just get a Samsung PDP which will have blacks just as deep if not a bit deeper, with nearly perfect screen uniformity. I say nearly, because even plasmas sometimes are not perfect, and you get one that does not have a perfectly even screen in a dark room. In that case I would of course return it. Sometimes you have to go through a couple or a few until you get a good one.

Sometimes that's just the luck of the draw. There is no such thing as a perfect display. They all involve compromises of one sort or another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts