AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm kind of limited with a budget for the whole system as we decided to buy a bigger TV first plus my wife doesn't like any bulky speakers for the living room...

Please critique this setup:

room is 14'x14' (not planning to wake up neighbors, just to watch movies with good quality sound and listen to music).

TV: Samsung UN60C6300

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1120-K

Speakers: Klipsch HD Theater 500 Is there anything else in the same price range but more compact and elegant?

Blu-ray player: ??? Not sure what blu-ray player yet

also Wii and possibly PS3.

I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Have you checked energy speakers. Sound better and cheaper than the klipsch IMO. Or check newegg for some nice bookshelf Polk audio speakers. Maybe the monitor 30s in front witha cs1 center?

Newegg always has sales on them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 /forum/post/19648698

Have you checked energy speakers. Sound better and cheaper than the klipsch IMO. Or check newegg for some nice bookshelf Polk audio speakers. Maybe the monitor 30s in front witha cs1 center?

Newegg always has sales on them

Thank you for promp responce! Yes, I've heard about Energy speakers. Will check them out for sure.

The thing is with our setup that TV is mounted on th wall. There will be a media chest on the floor. Rear speakers will be mouted on the wall (have to be small). The front speakers also will be mounted on the wall unless I put them on the media chest which is not that wide...

Edit: Not sure if Energy speakers can be tiltet on the wall like Klipsch ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse
How high up is the center of the TV?
51" from the floor to the center of TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt
How bout the Def Tech Pro Cinema 60. I'd rather have those than the Klipsch...
How do they compare to Energy ones?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse
Can you use speaker stands for the front r/l speakers? It's not a bad thing to spread them out further from the TV. In fact, it's highly recommended.
I suppose... Don't know anything about stands. Are there any good quality stands and at the same time not very distractive looking?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonik23
I suppose... Don't know anything about stands. Are there any good quality stands and at the same time not very distractive looking?
There are literally hundreds of stands worth looking at. Google Shopping is your friend

I don't use stands -- my fronts are tall floorstanders -- so I'm not much help there...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19653855

this is a broad over simplification, but if you are considering bookshelf units in front on stands, you might as well consider tower enclosures and not fool with the extra expense of stands.

My wife doesn't like tower speakers as they are too bulky unles there are some nice and slim looking ones out there. But again, my budget for speakers around $400-$500.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonik23 /forum/post/0

My wife doesn't like tower speakers as they are too bulky unles there are some nice and slim looking ones out there. But again, my budget for speakers around $400-$500.

Check out Pioneer's new floorstanding FS51's and the matching CS21 center. They're fairly "petite", and they sound pretty darn good at moderate volumes...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19654389

Check out Pioneer's new floorstanding FS51's and the matching CS21 center. They're fairly "petite", and they sound pretty darn good at moderate volumes...

These Pioneer speakers are 6ohm. Will this be an issue with Pioneer VSX 1120-K?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts