AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does such a remote control exist?

I am looking to control a Sony Wega TV, Pioneer A/V Receiver, Sherwood Receiver, Sharp VCR, Samsung HD STB, and JVC SRDVD-100 Network DVD player.

Features wanted:

1. Computer programmable - Ability to specify my activities / macros, and specify my devices on the computer

2. Wireless (such as 802.11) updates / program guide - not have to plug into a USB to get updates for the remote or program guide

3. Rechargable batteries such as NiCad or LiOn

4. Ability to work direct or through my media cabinet (RF & IR)

I know this is a tall order but wondering if such a device is out there? Oh, did I mention I want it for next to nothing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know of a single AV Universal remote that has 802.11 as a feature. Every computer programmable remote uses a USB interface. All the other options are available through Harmony, URC, or Philips Pronto remotes. But you are ahead of your time looking for a wireless network capable remote.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I am always dreaming of new technology. Just seems to me that 802.11 in a remote would be a natural progression to avoid having to make the physical usb connection every 1-2 weeks to keep the program guide up to date.

Guess I will buy a cheaper one now and wait for the big one to be released.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know there's two wireless USB standards working their way through the whole certification process (or they may have just become certified - I'm not really sure and I can't seem to find any clear, definite info). I imagine that would be perfect for these remotes. Using an 802.11-based standard seems to be overkill, so I wouldn't bank on this being a permanent solution. Investing the hundreds of dollars probably won't be worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.