AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the geek that I am, i was wondering if it is possible to setup 2 computers with the Cell and the 360-CPU as processors and then run benchmarks, kinda like what Anandtech and all do for AMD & Intel MPs.

Is there a technical reason it could not be done?

Is there an availability issue? Might MPs be stripped from the respective consoles?
As you can tell, I am not very well up on h/w issues. But I am rather interested in the results of such a shoot-out, instead of comparing MP-power using multi-platform games.

thanks for any inputs

·
Registered
307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanbegan /forum/post/0

Being the geek that I am, i was wondering if it is possible to setup 2 computers with the Cell and the 360-CPU as processors and then run benchmarks, kinda like what Anandtech and all do for AMD & Intel MPs.

Is there an availability issue? Might MPs be stripped from the respective consoles?
As you can tell, I am not very well up on h/w issues. But I am rather interested in the results of such a shoot-out, instead of comparing MP-power using multi-platform games.

thanks for any inputs

The Cell is clearly designed/optimized for specific types of tasks. So any off the shelf program that you choose may not yield much useful in the way of a comparision.

If you want a benchmark, then the obvious choice would be a game common to both the PS3 and the XBOX-360. That's what really matters at this point I would think?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanbegan /forum/post/0

thanks for any inputs

It's a shame that such a shootout would mean absolutely nothing to people who want to play Halo3 (damn, Id love to play Halo3 ...but the shootout tests.. sigh) or Heavenly Sword (damn, I'd love to play Heavenly Sword ...but the shootout results clearly show that I should be playing only Xbox games... sigh). I guess, in short, games are games and the console doesn't matter.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattardo /forum/post/0

It's a shame that such a shootout would mean absolutely nothing to people who want to play Halo3 (damn, Id love to play Halo3 ...but the shootout tests.. sigh) or Heavenly Sword (damn, I'd love to play Heavenly Sword ...but the shootout results clearly show that I should be playing only Xbox games... sigh). I guess, in short, games are games and the console doesn't matter.

I agree with you 100 percent. You gots to own both consoles to benefit all the great games.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
find a good developer and have 'em make a demo on both. will prob have to be limited to dvd9 though.

hopefully one day a company will make separate games instead of porting. but then they'd charge $100 for a game...

but who really sweats the details, get all systems and enjoy like you're supposed to

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point on Cell being optimized for certain tasks. Common games are not quite useful given the LCD approach used thus far. I patiently await a game that is done from scratch for both consoles, but that is not a true benchmark since other components, besides the CPU, also contribute. Thats is why I wanted a PC-type banchmark...

I am guessing it can be done.

If there is anyone into this kind of benchmarking (unlike some here who seem to be either defensive about which CPU will win or "inspired" to rather limited sarcasm
), I would appreciate an educated guess about the feasability of such a setup. thanks

The nearest proxy I know of is the [email protected] project which, if MS ever provides support for it, should give a clear answer.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Then, you have other variables, like the amount of development time games get. A rushed game might have slowdown, for instance, compared to a polished version on another console. How much of Oblivion's improved look on the PS3 is due to the extra development time?

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:

Yes, lots of them. First, they will not fit onto any existing PC motherboards, nor would the support chips know what to do with them if they did.

Quote:

Sure, someone could trash (desolder the chips) a couple of consoles, since that is the only way either company is letting these chips onto the market. But, unless you design a new PC to handle the h/w what's the point?
Quote:
As you can tell, I am not very well up on h/w issues.

Yes ...

I understand your desire to see a somewhat familiar benchmark. But, as others have noted it would be worthless. Every worthwhile benchmark will try to let you know to take the results in context, but that seems to get lost on most of us.

Nice try though

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks AmigaDude, good to know. Appreciate the clear info. I really am curious, as only geeks can be, about raw performance of these processors, compared to each other and to the Core 2 Duos as baseline, if possible.

I guess I will wait for MS to offer [email protected], for a start...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.