Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this successfully?

I have backed up a few of my DVD's onto a media server, using the method outlined in the Ripping 101 thread.

What I want to do, is use Girder to reliably execute the viewing of these movies using TheaterTek. Please, any guidance would be appreciated! I am really lost here!

-L

·
Registered
108 Posts
Absolutly! I am acutally putting together my htpc box for this reason. I plan on timeshifting my dvds onto the harddrive for easy access and to support my extreme lazyness (getting up- getting the dvd- opening the case- walking to the htpc- putting it in- etc etc is just to much for me). I prefer to use dvd decrypter since 1) its free. 2) the amount of options and controll you have over the ripping of the dvd is unimaginable and 3) its free. It timeshifts the dvds to .vob files, so if you plan on making them into any other format youll need to get a converting program (theres a bunch, 99.99% are free as well) but i dont like to use them (85% are the most complicated things ever.). Instead I leave the files as .vob and play them using PowerDVD Xp (not sure if theater tek has .vob support though). The avg. timeshifted .vob dvd size can range from 4-7 gigs. But by using dvd decrypter you can controll what is and isnt timeshifted, for instance I normally leave the extras (behind the scenes, multi langauge support, subtitles, etc.) and just timeshift the dvd to a single file (so it plays through like a vhs persay), the output file size is normally around 4.3-4.7 gigs (still alot get a 250 gig harddrive or two and go crazy). But there is so much controll you can actually have it set to leave some things and not others, as well as having it break the file into various .vob files, based on file size, chapters, etc. I hope I've helped you in some way heh, good luck! For more information, software, faqs, documentation check out: www.doom9.net.

-matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Guys, here's what I do (for now).

I use myHTPC as a front end, dvd decryptor to rip the DVDs to ISO's, daemon tools to mount them, and ZoomPlayer with WinDVD to play them.

In myHTPC there is an option to use an external program for movies. I have that point to a bat file I borrowed from another myHTPC user call dvd.bat. Dvd.bat contains the following lines:

"C:\\Program Files\\D-Tools\\daemon.exe" -unmount 0

"C:\\Program Files\\D-Tools\\daemon.exe" -mount 0,%1

"C:\\Program Files\\Zoom Player\\zplayer.exe"

What this file does is unmount any ISO that might already be mounted, then mounts whatever movie I chose within myHTPC and plays it with Zoomplayer.

The reason why I say this is my setup (for now) is because myHTPC has an option to hide whatever program is launched, in my case dvd.bat. Unfortunatly I can't seem to get it to work so I get this ungly DOS screen popping up everytime I run a movie.

It's a pretty simple idea and once you figure out how what works with what and goes where it's not too hard to implement.

Let me know if you've got any other questions and I'll see if I can't help.

Micah

·
Registered
151 Posts
Micah,

I have used the batch file process you describe, but the second line in your batch file is different. Is the %1 unique to myHTPC: I usually have to make a batch file for every movie. Can you explain your method a little more?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know if the %1 is unique to myHTPC or not. I imagine other front ends use it, or something like it.

If I understand correctly though, myHTPC passes the location of the ISO to whatever external player you select using the %1. So when I go to play Movie1 myHTPC passes //mediaserver/movies/movie1.iso to the bat file and that file is then mounted in daemon tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.