AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, I am begging for help. Okay, I've read almost all the FAQ's again, which were very informative, but not very helpful, and have this setup:

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card (32 MB)

Athlon 1.4 GHz processor

ECS K7S5A motherboard

512 MB 266 MHz DDR RAM (NEC)

IBM Deskstar 40 MB 7200rpm HDD

Toshiba SD-M1612 16x/48X CD/DVD-ROM

ATI MMC 7.6 with 7.5 for DVD

3 meter DVD-D P&D Single Link cable

Infocus LP340-V projector

Now, I have only 2 questions:

a) Is this progressive scan? (yeah, I'm stupid)

b) How do you change aspect ratio and output (480p/720p)?

Once again, thanks to all for any assistance!

Marc Yu

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard that 720p was better looking (and that my projector was capable of that). I don't know - maybe I'm missing something here. Sorry.

-Marc

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Marc,

You want to set the resolution of your computer display to match the native pixel resolution of your projector. That will yield the best results. Your projector will scale 720p back down to what it can handle. Why scale your video signal twice?

All computers are progressive scan.

Mike

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Sorry to sound mean, I was simply summing up something I thought simple.

It will accept 720p, but this tends to be for compatibility with HDTV receivers, not for best results. In some weird situations, the downscale effect can be pleasing to eye and not necessarily look bad, but for the most true reproduction, simply feed your PJ the resolution that is on the panel.

Progressive scan is how, like Mike explained it, how most computers + projectors work. When TV was invented, it was noticed that through some trickery, you could send half the information on the screen and it would still look pretty decent. This worked well with CRT based devices, but not so much with digital projectors.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just to try to be more concise, the vga connection or rgbvh connectors on almost all video cards (including your ati card) will put out progressive signals. If the card had an rca/coax/composite or S-vdieo connections similar to those found on regular TVs, then the output is interlaced.

If this confuses you, then forget it. The information is not terribly important. just enjoy the movie.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Progressive picture + CRT projector = YUMMY!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.