AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure that's one of the new yet-to-be-released plasmas with integrated speakers and tuner. It might be the 50" or even the 42", but it's almost certainly a plasma.

Mark

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I want to know how they get a 42" or 50" screen into these dimensions reported by buy.com.

"11-13/16-Inches W x 2-5/8-Inches H x 8-3/8-Inches D "

If the whole thing is 2-5/8" high wouldn't that make a 3.5" diagonal screen about all that would fit. If so, the $2,799.95 price might be a little high.

O.K., what am I missing?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The real 50LC13 is 80 lbs., 16" deep. It will be joined by a 43" unit. The existing 40 and 45" units will be retired (thank heaven!).

Mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Didnt look right to me either!

htwaits- 3.5" diagonal screen, "price might be a little high" :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Even if it's the wrong picture, a 16-inch deep, 50-inch screen for under $2400 is a darn good deal. (Assuming that price is right.) Any info on improvements over the LC12 line?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MadDogMike
Even if it's the wrong picture, a 16-inch deep, 50-inch screen for under $2400 is a darn good deal. (Assuming that price is right.) Any info on improvements over the LC12 line?
MadDogMike you are an optimist beyond compare. I'm with you. Let's all pray.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is almost no way the new ones could be any worse than the LC12s, which I personally find hideous. Others here, however, have them and love them.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Make that "two" for "hideous".

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
There is almost no way the new ones could be any worse than the LC12s, which I personally find hideous. Others here, however, have them and love them.
Make that one for showing that rogo is seriously and disastrously biased.

The PT40LC12 and PT45LC12 are very excellent sets, except

for two things ... a somewhat lacking black level and the damn

fan noise.

I personally have not found a single CRT RPTV set that I have seen

that was not "hideous" ... mostly due to either an extremely

and unuseably low light level, or being fuzzy. The PT40LC12 is

most emphatically noty fuzzy and is very bright indeed. It is

perfectly watchable with a spotlight aimed at it.

I think rogo actually likes sets that are too dim, an affliction

that may come with seeing too many movies in too-dim

theaters.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
11 Posts
According to the buy.com web site, it has an integrated OTA HDTV decoder. Can this be possible?

Anybody tried to order one? What is the ETA for this model?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobull
According to the buy.com web site, it has an integrated OTA HDTV decoder. Can this be possible?
Every thing else is wrong(picture, dimensions, and probably price) at buy.com. Why should this be any different?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdmcdonald
Make that one for showing that rogo is seriously and disastrously biased.
You know what, Doug, you are seriously and disastrously clueless. Or just nasty. Or whatever.

Bias would be me saying the sets suck and leaving it at that.

Instead, what I did was entirely unbiased. It was the antithesis of biased.

See, what I wrote is this: "There is almost no way the new ones could be any worse than the LC12s, which I personally find hideous. Others here, however, have them and love them."

Others here have them and love them, I said. I also said that the new ones would probably be at least as good as the current ones.

There just isn't a shred of bias, despite my personal belief that they are terrible televisions.

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
rogo,

The use of the word "hideous" might lead some to believe you are biased. I find it difficult to believe a TV can meet the common use of the word "hideous":

hideous:

1. so extremely ugly as to be terrifying

2. grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror

I might not like a TV, but being terrified or offending my morality is not something I have ever come close to.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nobull

Anybody tried to order one? What is the ETA for this model?
According to the links provided by MadDogMike, it does not. But then, what would you expect from buy.com, a company that published the following HDTV "tips" in the May edition of their "News Magazine":
Quote:
To HDTV or Not to HDTV

Keep in mind that the FCC is mandating that all TV stations provide digital cable service by 2006. This means that programming will be broadcast in high definition, which promises amazing image quality and sound to those that have HDTVs or TVs that are ready for the service. The term HDTV-ready means that a television can display analog signals as well as digital signals through an external STB. For more extensive information on HDTV, visit www.hdtvinfoport.com .
I'll leave it to the class to pick this one apart...

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
rogo,

The use of the word "hideous" might lead some to believe you are biased. I find it difficult to believe a TV can meet the common use of the word "hideous":

hideous:

1. so extremely ugly as to be terrifying

2. grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror

I might not like a TV, but being terrified or offending my morality is not something I have ever come close to.
How about just plain butt ugly?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Umr: I admit it was neither terrifying nor insulting. :)

Merriam-Webster, however -- which I believe is a well-known purveyor of dictionaries, offers this:

"offensive to the senses and especially to sight : exceedingly ugly"

That was indeed how I felt about the picture on those TVs. And I continue to acknowledge that others see them very differently, indeed to the point of loving them.

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.