·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres what i have so far:

An Epson 8350

120" Drop Screen

Premier Acoustic PA-8F Titanium Theater System

Now im looking for a reciever. I have a guy here locally that has a Yahama RX-V1 that he wants to sell me for $300.00. I dont know much about recievers but this things big and weighs alot. The last system i bought was a in the box system by sony for $299. I think im going in the right direction here, I just dont know how out dated this reciever is or if i should just go get something new?

My room is 16x20'

Any help would be geatly apreciated!

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
here you go:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=yamaha+rx-v1

that simple search turns up multiple reviews

basically, it is a "flagship" receiver that cost $3K when new, but is now 10 years old. So in other words, it is big and heavy and has powerful amps, but is way out of date in terms of modern HT technology (it's only 6.1, no room correction or HD video switching, older digital processing, etc). But it will certainly have significantly more power than any $300 receiver you could buy new, so for a dedicated HT setup that isn't going beyond basic 5.1 it will still sound great.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
IMO, it's a nice toy, but it's not the best choice for a modern setup with a Blu-ray player and modern game consoles and such. $300 seems like a good price, but the thing could fail any day.

Without HDMI, your wiring will be messier for example. And you will have to switch video from the TV and audio from the receiver.

Heck, for $300 though, if it lasted a few years, I could see using it as a 5 channel amp with a modern receiver
That's assuming it has the proper inputs, and the receiver had pre outs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts