AVS Forum banner

Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) but $500 for 7 speakers?

• Yes, nothing wrong with that- 75% spent on sub(s) and 25% on speakers

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No, you are crazy.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I would spread money evenly: 50% spent for sub(s) and 50% for speakers.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I would spend 40% on sub(s) and 60% on speakers.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I would spend 30% on sub(s) and 70% on speakers.

Votes: 12 25.5%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)? I am planning to drop $2k on a sub or pair of subs. Am I crazy? I know that an awesome sub or sub(s) make a huge difference in movie watching experience. What about the rest of the 7 speakers? Are there a lot of difference on using hi-end speakers that costs thousand of dollars/pair for only movie watching as compare to some cheap bookshelve $150/pair? Thanks for chiming in.

·
Premium Member
11,471 Posts
Unless you scored an awesome deal on some gently-used, quality speakers, $500 for 7 speakers seems pretty cheap. If you drive your system hard, you will likely find the speakers - particularly the front three - quickly running out of steam while your sub is (subs are) barely breaking a sweat.

IMO, you should invest more in the front three speakers. Consider something like the ChaseHT SHO-10s: Impressive-sounding and -performing speakers for $395/ea. They throw a huge soundstage and can be pushed hard without ever sounding strained.

So, basically, I'd start with three good speakers for the front, one good sub and four decent surrounds. And then I'd save up for a second sub (if necessary).

Just my 2¢...

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Eljay, the loudest I ever play is -10dbs below reference. Do you not think those cheap bookshelve pair, center, in wall surrounds (like polk audio Monitor series, Energy bookself) can handle? Audessey probably will set a 80-120hz crossover on them. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,471 Posts
I know that my older Paradigm Monitor 7v4s, when pushed to 10 or 8dB below reference, tended to start sounding a bit harsh, and they were a lot bigger and of better quality than cheap bookshelf speakers. So, while I don't know how well a set of seven speakers for $500 will sound when you crank them up loud - something I think would be likely to happen in a 3,000 cu.ft. room - I suspect they may not hold up well. But I could be wrong and they will sound wonderful, or the OP will never crank his system up so it'll never potentially be an issue.

Although 7 cheap speakers and $2K worth of sub(s) could work very well for someone, I would opt to go with better mains (for music and movies), a better center speaker (for movie dialogue), and better overall balance in my system.

As always, this is just my 2¢ and YMMV.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
The lowest I played my Energy bookshelves was -12db in MY room. Just get a system of speakers that fit your needs. I don't see a need for a "ratio" on how to spend

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
It could be worth it, depending on your speakers. If you got some Infinity Primus speakers on sale, you could still justify the cost of the subs, or some similar deal like that. If you have a larger room and you sit in the middle, you will need a lot of air displacement just to begin to hear the bass, but the higher frequencies don't have that problem.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1417589/is-this-right-to-spend-2k-on-sub-s-but-500-for-7-speakers#post_22168542

It could be worth it, depending on your speakers. If you got some Infinity Primus speakers on sale, you could still justify the cost of the subs, or some similar deal like that. If you have a larger room and you sit in the middle, you will need a lot of air displacement just to begin to hear the bass, but the higher frequencies don't have that problem.
I wouldn't listen to anyone who likes dallas.... hahah jk

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd buy in pieces with that budget. $2000 for a really good subwoofer(s), and $500 for just the front L/R's or center, and save up for the rest.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
+1..

You can live without the surrounds, but never without a good sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopaddiction  /t/1417589/is-this-right-to-spend-2k-on-sub-s-but-500-for-7-speakers#post_22169880

I'd buy in pieces with that budget. $2000 for a really good subwoofer(s), and $500 for just the front L/R's or center, and save up for the rest.

·
Premium Member
12,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys  /t/1417589/is-this-right-to-spend-2k-on-sub-s-but-500-for-7-speakers#post_22168188

Hi guys,

Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)? I am planning to drop $2k on a sub or pair of subs. Am I crazy? I know that an awesome sub or sub(s) make a huge difference in movie watching experience. What about the rest of the 7 speakers? Are there a lot of difference on using hi-end speakers that costs thousand of dollars/pair for only movie watching as compare to some cheap bookshelve $150/pair? Thanks for chiming in.

Please realize that this comes from a Packer Fan... advising a CowGirl Fan...

There is no F'n way I would spend $2K on subs, and then only spend $500 for 7 speakers. There is no way the speakers will ever keep up with the subs. If all you want is BASS, I suppose over-balancing the system towards the subs would be OK, but that's not the right way to design a system..

I would liken it to installing a huge JumboTron in the stadium... and then fielding a team nobody can stand to watch. Good luck with that.

Craig

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys  /t/1417589/is-this-right-to-spend-2k-on-sub-s-but-500-for-7-speakers#post_22168188

Hi guys,

Is this right to spend $2k on sub(s) like Submersive, Captivator or a pair of HSU VTF15Hs, Rythmik FV12s, Outlaw LFM-1 EXs, SVS PB12s, Epik Empires, etc...but $500 for 7 speakers to be used in a dedicated hometheater (~3000'^3)?

Would it be correct to guess that this is your first major HT setup?

If so, then at least start with no more than 5.1 with some more allocation to the speakers, say at least 50/50. You'll end up with a setup you will really enjoy, and then you can have the pleasure of hearing it improve when you add a second sub and second set of surrounds later on. Or start with bookshelves in the front and move them to the back when you buy towers later on. But whatever you do, building up is part of the fun of it
You are like the kid wanting to have all his desserts for the week in one night

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craig,

I have lots of respect for you here and your Packers, but we are still America team
. Too bad we won't face your Packers this upcoming season as it has always been good games. Back to the subject, how about $1k on the VTF15H for 7 Polk Audio speakers costing $500ish? Remember, this system is only used for movie unless music is part of it. Does it make sense to use more expensive speakers ONLY for movies watching? I have watched a few clips of movies with B&W bookshelf speakers costing $1200 each at Magnolia and did not have a wow impresion with them as compare to those cheaper pair there. Perhaps i do not have a golden ear to tell the differences. Thanks all for chiming in and votes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1417589/is-this-right-to-spend-2k-on-sub-s-but-500-for-7-speakers#post_22170154

Would it be correct to guess that this is your first major HT setup?

If so, then at least start with no more than 5.1 with some more allocation to the speakers, say at least 50/50. You'll end up with a setup you will really enjoy, and then you can have the pleasure of hearing it improve when you add a second sub and second set of surrounds later on. Or start with bookshelves in the front and move them to the back when you buy towers later on. But whatever you do, building up is part of the fun of it
You are like the kid wanting to have all his desserts for the week in one night
Actually no. I used to own a much more expensive system more than a decade ago with Lexicon MC1 pre-amp, 7 channels Bryston Amp, Mirage OM6, OM-C2 center, 4 Energy Veritas surrounds, and a HSU TN1220HO sub + 500W amp (I really miss this sub). I bought a new home that the previous owner left all 4 in-wall polk audio speakers for surrounds and Polk Monitor series up front (not even sure what they are, M40 may be). Having own the HSU TN1220 sub which is no longer available, I know for sure that I want some thing as good or better than that as once a person hear some good sub, there is no turning back for a lesser sub. Not sure if a single VTF15H is as good as the TN1220. I guest Dr Hsu would know.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ with shipping cost, it puts the pb13 ultra close to the single Captivator + EP4000 Behringer amp which is much much better according to Archea here and he was comparing a single Captivator with dual Pb13 ultras in his room. Thanks.

Cel, Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
IMO $1k to $2k is fine for you sub budget... I spent about $1k on 2 subs and $1k on 7 speakers........ Also you may want to look into speakers with horn loaded tweeters since its for HT movies. Check out Klipsch Reference series, BIC Acoustech Platinum series, Elemental Designs [C]inema series, and CHT PRO or SHO series.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
In my opinion that's absolutely about right to have the best preforming movie setup. For a music setup you might want to go more 50/50 money split.

I know of no better movie setup for the money than a pair of Jamo 5.0 speakers for $400 from vanns.com and a pair of $1000 range subwoofers, from the likes of HSU, SVS, Epik, Rythmik,etc.

I heard the Jamo set recently and loved them for well above the price even. They have over 100 reviews with a 98%. That tells you something. What heavy shipping product has a 98% score in the electronics realm? Find me another!
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544012176/jamo-s606hcs3?s_c=site_search 3836409

The guy who recently purchased them from KC, avsforum member tatersly, auditioned them for me on a Onkyo SR-805 receiver in full range and they sounded great! He had an older 10" yamaha subwoofer and we just turned it off because it muddied the sound of the Jamo 8" drivers and the Yamaha didn't add an ounce ofvolume or other benefit in his room. A couple of $1000 subs will allow you to use a 80hz crossover and really have some fun, smooth LFE effects for movie watching.

I'd recommend the above combo without a moments hesitation, and I've heard pretty much all the $1,000 subs. HSU, Rythmik, Epik, SVS, CHT, Infinity, Jamo, Velodyne etc ,etc, etc. This would be a darn good movie watcher's combo at

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
If you buy something like the JTR Captivator, (which I wholly recommend) - $2500 isn't your overall budget. A $500 speaker package with a typical lower sensitivity rating will not keep up, so if still trying to remain reasonably on a budget figure on buying something with high sensitivity drivers like the Elemental Design Cinema Pro 8's or 12s --- at more like $400 a speaker. I do think the Jamo speaker package listed above and a couple $1000 subwoofers of your choice is a GREAT choice if your speaker budget is strict $2500.

and yes -- I did prefer a single JTR Captivator over two SVS PB13 ultras in my room when both were auditioned in my room within a couple days time back in 2011 follwing the KC subwoofer meet. (and so did carp, luke kamp, and counsil who auditioned them with me) We auditioned the powered JTR Captivator with 4000 watts, then a couple days later I bought a pair of SVS PB 13 ultras used from forum member counsil thinking how could I go wrong with the highly recommended flagship subwoofer pair from SVS. He was replacing his four PB13 Ultras with four Seaton Submersive HPs immediately after the 2011 meet. I was dissapointed to find I much preferred the sound and power of the single JTR Cap from the meet audition over the pair of SVS PB13s. The JTR got significantly louder too. Within a couple days I was sure I'd made the wrong decision. When I purchased the pair of Captivator pros I sold the SVS PB13's within about a month. I compared the pairs back and forth on multiple occassions during my overlap in ownership and there was absolutely no comparison. Don't get me wrong - the SVS remain excellent subs but they are just outclassed by the JTR's performance. The SVS double stacked in a corner could only hit about 115dB cleanly from my seating position, the JTR Captivator Pro non co-located - each placed about 1/3 distance from opposite front corners ( on each side of my projector screen) --- like shown in my signature picture --- the pair driven by a single EP4000 amp--- could hit 125dB cleanly from my seating position on the SAME material. These number grabbed with a radio shack spl meter on c weighting. That's a huge difference! HUGE. High quality, high excursion 18" drivers with more power, vs. high quality, high excursion 13" drivers with less power. 18"s win.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts