Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just switched from Comcast to Dish and of course my RTV 5040 is not working as a result. I did a lot of reading on this forum and couldn't seem to find an answer. So here it goes and thanks in advance to all helps!

1. I have a Dish 322 in my bedroom upstairs. It's hooked to a TV directly. Channel 3 is the specified TV channel for viewing all Dish channels.

2. I have my 5040 in living room downstair and it's connected to my TV there. The input for 5040 is a coax cable-- the same cable from which my RTV got signal when I was with Comcast. The default TV channel for viewing Dish programs is set to 73 (i.e I have to set my TV to channel 73 in order to view Dish programs).

3. I can view all dish programs on both TVs using Dish's remote controls. I belive the remote control upstair is using IR and the one downstair uses UHF.

4. The problem: replay tv can only be set to get video signal from Channel 2-4. (Menu -> Setup -> Network and Input Settings->Change ANT/CATV), but my downstair Dish programs are playing on Channel 73. So I got No Video Signal Error whenever I try to view dish programs via replayTV. (I have no problem viewing Dish programs via the TV directly by putting it on Ch 73).

5. After reading some of the posts here, I got the impression that in order to have RTV work at all, I'll have to put RTV upstairs and have it connected directly to the 322 dish receiver via IR blast. Is my understanding correct? Furthermore, is it possible at all for my current setup to work? Or, anyone knows a way to change the default channel downstairs to Channel 2 or 4 (ch 3 is already taken by the TV upstairs)?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Using Replay and Dish is easily possible, but I think you are taking the wrong approach. In order for the Replay to control the Dish receiver, it will need to be close enough for the IR blaster to reach. I'm not sure if you can get one long enough to go from the living room to the bedroom.

Instead, put the Replay in the bedroom near the Dish receiver, connect the coax cable from the output of the Dish to the Input of the Replay as well as composite cables from the output of the Dish to the input of the Replay (you'll need to reconfigure the Replay to get the input from Input 1 or 2, but that should be easy). Next connect the output of the Replay via that long coax that runs to the downstairs TV. Get an IR repeater so you can control the Replay from the living room over to the bedroom.

This will elimate the problem of having to setup the Replay to use channel 73 and instead use the composite cables (which give you a better signal anyhow). Also, if you turn off the Replay, you can bypass the Replay all together and control the Dish receiver via the Dish remote while tuning the TV to channel 73.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same situation as you, but I have two replays connected to the Dish 322.

The first is connected to TV1 normally in the master bedroom.

TV2 goes to the second bedroom via coaxle cable, channel 73. As you know, replay coaxle input must be channel 3 or 4. The way I got around this, is to hook the coaxle cable to an old VCR, and put the VCR on channel 73. I then use composite (RCA) connections from the VCR to the replay. The only problem is that the IR blaster is not long enough, so it cannot change channels on the Dish receiver. Therefore, we need to use the time on the Dish receiver to change channels.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your dish receiver should be as close as possible to the Replay so that the Replay can control it through its IR blaster. If you want to watch Dish programming on multiple TVs, it is best to get multiple Dish receivers. I have two Dish receivers and two ReplayTVs; each Replay has its own Dish receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much for the inputs, which are both inspiring and helpful. I think using an old VCR to get to ch 73 is a brilliant idea and would like to give it a try as I don't want to move the RTV to my bedroom (where the dish 322 is). I use RTV primarily for recording shows, so whether I'll be able to use RTV to control Dish 322 is not a big concern. But I do have the following two questions:

1. Dish 322 would have this roaming screen saver came up everyday. I heard that if it's on, then what's got recorded would be the screen saver, not the show. Is there a solution on this yet?

2. When I was using RTV with Comcast, I was able to have RTV record one show while watching a different show. Is this still possible with Dish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btyko
I have the same situation as you, but I have two replays connected to the Dish 322.

The first is connected to TV1 normally in the master bedroom.

TV2 goes to the second bedroom via coaxle cable, channel 73. As you know, replay coaxle input must be channel 3 or 4. The way I got around this, is to hook the coaxle cable to an old VCR, and put the VCR on channel 73. I then use composite (RCA) connections from the VCR to the replay. The only problem is that the IR blaster is not long enough, so it cannot change channels on the Dish receiver. Therefore, we need to use the time on the Dish receiver to change channels.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quote:
The only problem is that the IR blaster is not long enough, so it cannot change channels on the Dish receiver.
You can use an IR repeater to change channels on the Dish. Set the replay IR blaster to send signals to the IR repeater. Set up the receiving one to send IR signals to the Dish.

However, I think the best setup would be to put the dish and replaytv in the living room.

Here's what you should do:

Connect the replay to the dish using composite cables. Connect replay to living room tv using composite cables. connect the dish receiver to the living room tv using another input or the coxial cable.

Use the existing coxial cable to connect the replay to the bedroom tv and view through channel 3 or 4.

Use an IR repeater to control the replaytv from the bedroom.

Good luck.

-mk

·
Registered
912 Posts
What if you moved the 322 to the living room, and used the RF remote/channel 73 to view Dish from your bedroom TV. Then the 322 would be right next to the replaytv, and you could use the IR blaster to set the channel, and svideo cables to connect the video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop
What if you moved the 322 to the living room, and used the RF remote/channel 73 to view Dish from your bedroom TV. Then the 322 would be right next to the replaytv, and you could use the IR blaster to set the channel, and svideo cables to connect the video.
Thanks for the $60 question -- Dish will charge me $5/month if my receiver is NOT connected to a phone line. Because there's no phone outlet in my living room, I can't put the receiver in the living room without being charged . Now I'm in a 12 month contract with dish, so $5x12=$60.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwml
2. When I was using RTV with Comcast, I was able to have RTV record one show while watching a different show. Is this still possible with Dish?
Nope. Your RTV and regular TV can tune normal analog signals. Dish is a digital signal that needs to be decoded. If you want to watch a live show and record something else, you'll need to buy another Dish tuner.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the $60 question -- Dish will charge me $5/month if my receiver is NOT connected to a phone line. Because there's no phone outlet in my living room, I can't put the receiver in the living room without being charged . Now I'm in a 12 month contract with dish, so $5x12=$60.
Run a phone line to your living room or get one of those wireless thingys.

-mk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987
Nope. Your RTV and regular TV can tune normal analog signals. Dish is a digital signal that needs to be decoded. If you want to watch a live show and record something else, you'll need to buy another Dish tuner.
I'm also interested in doing the same setup as this. I'd like to have my replaytv and 322 in the living room and also connect the bedroom tv to the 322. I was thinking of connecting the 322 to the replaytv box via the tv2 composite cable and then connecting the bedroom tv to the 322 via coax. If I also connected the living room tv to the 322 via the tv1 composite, would I be able to use the replaytv to record on tv2 while also watching the living room tv via the tv1 composite cable? I think the only drawback to this would be that I would not be able to watch tv in the bedroom unless I wanted to watch the same channel as what I was watching in the living room.

Also on a side note, I assume the 322 screensaver recording problem still exists or has dish network upgraded the software to fix this?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.