AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this and other forums and bugging you people with questions (;)) I've finally zeroed in on a projector that seems ideal to my needs. The projector in question is the JVC G15. The catch is, I cannot spend the money on it until the end of the year, as there are other bills that need taking care of before indulging in a PJ. The PJ will be a "Christmas bonus" for myself, assuming my customers continue to pay on time (you'd be surprised...) In the meantime, I've gotten so geeky about HT that I'm actually building a real-time 3D demo of what the final product will look like (complete with decor, seating, etc.)

The screen size I'm hoping for is between 12-15 feet, which I'm told is perfectly doable with the D-ILA. However... I'm a greedy $&%#. There's a room in my home with a 25-foot wide, 15-foot tall wall. As you can imagine, It's incredibly tempting ;) Would I be insane to try for a picture of that size, considering 95% of my source material will be DVD-based (the other 5% will be LD and DVHS)? Given that I won't be able to test this for myself for another six months or so, but I'm planning the HT room, I'd like to hear from those who've attempted such large image sizes with DVD sources. I know HD would look stunning, but what I'm concerned with is how a 480p source would fare on such a gigantic screen. Is it possible to project 480p at this size AND retain a quality image? Or should I stick to the more realistic 12-15 foot size I mentioned earlier? Either way, I'll be happy, but it'd be amazing to be able to go for the 25-footer. Of course, I might not be able to use that room (roommates might not be thrilled...) but I'd just like to know if it's possible.

Other details:

The PJ would be run by an HTPC, and I'll be also using an anamorphic lens. Seating will start as close as 1x and continue in 0.25x increases for four rows, so that the furthest row will be at 2x screen width. This is all subject to change, of course.

Thanks in advance for any answers you might have :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
First impression: too big. On my 120" diagonal screen, DVD authoring problems like excessive edge enhancement become pretty visible. I would think that on a 25' screen, this would be essentially intolerable.

Somewhere I have seen a formula which expresses the ideal screen size for a particular seating position. Part of it has to do with how much of your field of view the screen fills, and it's related to both visual impact and also comfortable viewing. You don't necessarily want to have to be constantly looking back and forth to the different sides of the screen just to follow the action.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I would be a LOT more concerned with trying to light up a screen of that magnitude! What projector(s) are you lpanning on using for such a consideration? Have yuo even thought about that aspect? :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The projector I'm currently considering is the JVC DLA-G15U, as mentioned at the top of my first post ;)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
1) HD will look good that size but DVd will not. I'm right at 123" diagonal and DVD looks like crap next to HD.

2) You are really pushing the limit on brightness wiht that large a screen. And remember the DILAs lose approx 50% of their brightness in 500 hours on the bulb.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

I guess I'll plan for a 12-15 ft. screen then. When/if I get to try projecting a 25 ft. image, I'll try to get a screenshot, just for kicks.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I use a 12 foot wide "scope" ratioed screen with my 9015 D-ILA display; it is located along the 16 foot width section of the HT room (30' long).

Have found this size to be nearly ideal for rooms like mine; for wider venues, perhaps 15 foot widths would be OK. The things is, you don't want to overload the room with too big on an image...like most modern cinema megaplexes often do (not a good idea).

You'd be surprised how large a 12 foot wide image can actually be!...

-THTS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently I went to a film festival movie marathon, held in a commercial theater with the regular size screen (how big are these? 40-50'? bigger?) Amazingly, one of the movies was a DVD (you saw them selecting "Play Movie" on the DVD menu just before the film started!) It was a godawful film, probably from one of the low-budget studios and a bad transfer...but it was not unwatchable. The image was noticeably dim, and low-contrast. Not what I would want to see in my HT, but better than I thought 720x480 would look on a screen that size.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frank, you're absolutely right :) I did a quick simulation of a 12-footer and it was pretty impressive.

Lemonski, aside from the contrast/dimness issues, how was the picture? Pixelated, soft, or tolerable?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
1) HD will look good that size but DVd will not. I'm right at 123" diagonal and DVD looks like crap next to HD.
I'm currently @ 61" and DVD still looks like crap next to HDTV. :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 133" diagonal screen, and after watching HD, even a "high bit rate" DVD like Superbit Fifth Element looks pretty lame.

Vas

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm starting to venture off-topic here, but what I have found is that I am pretty happy with even broadcast 480i stuff if that's what I turn it on for and start with. Even going from 480p back to broadcast is ok after letting my eyes adjust to it for a few minutes. But if I've been watching HDTV, it takes too long to get used to "schwag" sources again. It'll sure spoil a guy.:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorus
Frank, you're absolutely right :) I did a quick simulation of a 12-footer and it was pretty impressive.

Lemonski, aside from the contrast/dimness issues, how was the picture? Pixelated, soft, or tolerable?
Soft I guess...definitely not pixelated, which surprises me as that's what I would have expected. Soft and dim.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
I've gotten so geeky about HT that I'm actually building a real-time 3D demo of what the final product will look like (complete with decor, seating, etc.)
Sorry for the off-topic...

What software are you using for the 3D simulation? I've been looking around but aren't quite sure what is best for the purpose. (to get a decent 3D rendition)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm using Conitec's 3D GameStudio . It's a software package comprised of a real-time 3D engine (pretty similar to Unreal's), with its own editors and scripting language. Being a game-oriented real-time engine, it's not capable of the rendering power of a 3D Studio MAX, but it's more than capable of outputting a hi-quality image. Go to the official site and grab the demo. It's good for 30 days, and will definitely let you build some pretty good room simulations you can walk through :) If you get really into it, you can actually place movie clips onto the screen. I'm using static pictures for now, though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quote:
you can actually place movie clips onto the screen
Whoa! That is sick!!! ;-)

Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
What are you using to drive the DVD image? Progressive scan player or HTPC? For an HTPC with your JVC, your image will look massively better than a standard progressive scan DVD, as it will be perfectly scaled.

As scaling artifacts look worse (to me) than the lack of resolution, you may end up ridding yourself much of the problem of playing a DVD that large with HTPC.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jprada, I made a mistake. Turns out the plugin I was talking about allows only to play FLASH movies within the level. Sorry for the confusion.

Mr.Poindexter: I will indeed be using an HTPC to drive the image. I can't wait to try this :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.