AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I've been looking to upgrade my speaker setup. I was going to start w/the mains and had decided on the Energy C-3s but after listening to suggestions on this board and doing a bit more research I came up with what I think is the best setup my money can buy though it might be a bit too heterogeneous. :D

Mains: AXIOM M3ti's

Center: ROCKET RSC100 MKII

Rears: Energy C-1's or Athena AS.B1's

Sub: JBL PB-10(I've had it for 3 years and love it)-I'll upgrade this later

Cost:$600 or 700 depending on the rears.

Is this a disfunctional setup? I think the Axioms and Rocket center would match well from what I've read. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would for sure match the front soundstage. Meaning get your mains and center in the same family of speakers. If you have to mix and match for HT use you normally won't notice a big difference with surrounds. You will if your center is not blending with your mains.

Why not get all Axioms across the front? Or all Rockets?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper0103
I would for sure match the front soundstage. Meaning get your mains and center in the same family of speakers. If you have to mix and match for HT use you normally won't notice a big difference with surrounds. You will if your center is not blending with your mains.

Why not get all Axioms across the front? Or all Rockets?
Well it's a money thing, kind of. My speaker upgrade budget is around $500-600.

I've listened to the RSC100 and was blown away! And now that its on sale, it's hard to resist but I can't afford the $500-600 price tag for the matching mains. I could go with an all Axiom setup. I was just trying to go with the best bang for my buck, piece by piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You may want to look at getting a complete Rocket ELT system. The RSC100 MMKII is basically an ELT center at its core. Right now you can get two pairs of ELT LRS, and an ELT center for $600. If you liked the RSC100 MMKII than you should like this a lot.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser117
Well it's a money thing, kind of. My speaker upgrade budget is around $500-600.

I've listened to the RSC100 and was blown away! And now that its on sale, it's hard to resist but I can't afford the $500-600 price tag for the matching mains. I could go with an all Axiom setup. I was just trying to go with the best bang for my buck, piece by piece.
Question. Have listen to the Axiom speakers?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy
Question. Have listen to the Axiom speakers?
Nope... I'm going on what I've read, lab results, and forum opinions.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Nasser

That is good information to start with, but you should listen to a speaker before you purchase them. AVS Forum is a great place to start, and to narrow a search for product. But, Just because I or someone else tells you that "Product A" is the best, you need to experience this for yourself. Or, there is a good chance that you will be disappointed in that product. Your eye's and ear's will not lie to you.

Cheer's

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
I did that, too. I opted for the Axiom MT22 speakers and the VP-150 center. I had the speakers for about a week and half, but elected to return them. The 5.25" drivers did not impress me. I just wish Axiom would make some smaller speakers with 6.5" mid-woofer drivers. I think it would be a killer product. Then again, maybe it was the aluminum woofer drivers that I'm not the biggest fan of.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy
Nasser

That is good information to start with, but you should listen to a speaker before you purchase them. AVS Forum is a great place to start, and to narrow a search for product. But, Just because I or someone else tells you that "Product A" is the best, you need to experience this for yourself. Or, there is a good chance that you will be disappointed in that product. Your eye's and ear's will not lie to you.

Cheer's
Of all the speakers I listed, the Axioms are the only ones I haven't listened to 'cause there is NOWHERE to listen to them in my area. Knowing that I would have 30 days to audition makes the prospect of purchasing them a 'no big deal'.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Of all the speakers I listed, the Axioms are the only ones I haven't listened to 'cause there is NOWHERE to listen to them in my area. Knowing that I would have 30 days to audition makes the prospect of purchasing them a 'no big deal'.
sounds like you have a plan

·
Registered
623 Posts
Quote:
Axioms all around is the way to go. I have M60s (floorstanders), in a stereo only setup with Rotel separates, which by the way have dual 6.5" woofers, and love them. I plan to get Axioms as well once I decide to build my HT.

As for auditioning Axioms you can visit Auditioning Axioms in your area thread at Axiom Message Board, and see if there is somebody near your city/town. You can also sign up there and ask for assitence, and am sure somebody will chime in. This is what I did, and had a chance to audition my M60 before I got them.

Good luck with your choice!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You don't always have to match brands... In this case, you shouldn't be too bad off with those fronts+center because all of the drivers are metal, though Ti and Al do sound a bit different... I don't think it would be out of the question. I hate metal tweeters, personally, so that's about all I can tell you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would match the front soundstage for sure. If you do the mix and match thing now (due to budget) you will always be wanting to get the correct center channel to match the mains. You will always wonder "would it sound better?" etc. Peace of mind is an important factor in HT I think.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Although you can just get them all black to sorta match, I'll assume aesthetics are unimportant to you, nasser117?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
you really want to match the rocket center to rocket mains if you like it that much.

or get an axiom center to match the axiom mains.

you really don't want to mix and match.

Seth

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Contrary to what is considered the 'right' thing to do, I have ACI Sapphire XL mains with a Polk CS1 center and Axiom QS4 surrounds. In the past I had Onix Ref 1s with the Polks and Axioms.

For HT, not one person has every said "your center doesn't match your main speakers." I can sometimes tell, but it doesn't bother me. I am into two channel music much more than HT which is why my main speakers cost $1500 while my center was $150. It may not be optimal, but it works.

If you are into multi-channel music then you should definitely match all around. If not, matching is nice but isn't a requirement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree mismatched speaker brands "can" work. But for someone just putting his system together from scratch, I believe matching at least the 3 fronts is the wise move.

When you hear a system play a movie with huge dynamic range of special effects along with the musical score, the synergy between (or amongst) all the speakers can really make for a wonderful experience. I think your best chance in achieving that synergy is with a matched system.

Just this weekend, I watched Master and Commander on an all Axiom setup. the speakers were Axiom M3ti's with the VP100 center and QS-4 surrounds. The front 3 speakers are positioned in a much less than ideal manner. Maybe it's jut the movie, but I was blown away at how good this system sounded. Of particular note, system synergy really became a term I will pay more attention to just because of this experience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.