AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My receiver automatically shuts off speaker output when I plug in a pair of headphones.

I just got some basskickers for xmas but they can only be used duirng speaker only playback.

Does anyone know a workaround or way I can maintain the LFE or speaker out put in general while still using my headphones ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
It depends upon your receiver. But unless it has the option to leave the speakers on when head phones are connected; that setup will not be possible without internal modifications to your receiver.

BUT if you are only interested in having the device shake in response to LFE on DVDs, and your DVD player has a set of 5.1 analog outputs, you could connect it there instead of the receiver. The DVD player sends full line level, not attenuated in any way, so you will have to dial back seat shaker to keep from damaging it--or yourself.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. Far as I can tell only one is allowed at a time.

The dvd option is actually a great one didnt think of it. My only issue is much of my "source" material will be coming from an xbox.

Ill have to hop back to the bass shaker thread. Im wondering if any of my audio puts are live during headphone playback. Maybe i can use one of them with some tweaks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you have one of the hi-res AV packs for the Xbox, it has an optical connector plus the RCA left and right. The L and R jacks are full frequency range, but I'm guessing the shaker has some sort of low-pass filter--either naturally it doesn't react to high frequencies or some sort of capacitive filter. So you could just feed the right channel line level from the Xbox to it, and then run the optical connection to your receiver. This would also give you in-game Dolby Digital. Which if your receiver has Dolby Headphone or any sort of headphone surround processing could be really nice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector
If you have one of the hi-res AV packs for the Xbox, it has an optical connector plus the RCA left and right. The L and R jacks are full frequency range, but I'm guessing the shaker has some sort of low-pass filter--either naturally it doesn't react to high frequencies or some sort of capacitive filter. So you could just feed the right channel line level from the Xbox to it, and then run the optical connection to your receiver. This would also give you in-game Dolby Digital. Which if your receiver has Dolby Headphone or any sort of headphone surround processing could be really nice.

Thank you injector. It solved my problem albeit creating a new one.

I tried the setup and it worked. My headphones are on and the bas kickers are active. Ill do osme more tweaking in the morning when I can risk making noise.

My new issue is that when I took the headphones off I still heard sounds. Even when passed through an EQ the xbox output is making the bass kickers play the higher frequencies.

Its very slight but I need to figure out if I can reduce that or if its damaging to the kickers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I really doubt it would be damaging, but no doubt annoying. I am surprised that the kicker doesn't incorporate a low-pass filter, but I guess they just assumed it would only be run from a dedicated sub-woofer output (which includes its own low-pass filter).

So that is what you need: a sub-woofer crossover. Actually not even a full crossover just the low-pass side. Something in the 100-200 Hz range would do well. It should be designed to work with line-level voltages, not speaker level.

You may want to check some car audio places if your normal home theater store doesn't carry such a thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.