AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about ready to "pull the trigger" on my home theatre, and wanted to run it by the community here to see whether or not I've made any serious missteps. Here's my space (finished basement):

The green areas represent where I expect to place the speakers (sub excluded). Here's my component list:

Surround System: Axiom Epic Grand Master 350
  • Fronts: Axiom M22
  • Centre: Axiom VP150
  • Rears: Axiom QS8
  • Sub: Axiom EP250

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V1900

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE3000

Screen: Goo Systems

Sources: Playstation 3, Rogers HD Box (Scientific Atlanta 8300)

Anything I've missed? Do I have something that's totally mismatched? Would you propose something different? My total budget is in the $10K range (CDN) - that's speakers, receiver, projector, and screen. I plan to wall mount the projector behind the seating and runs the speaker and HDMI wires through conduit in the ceiling and walls. I didn't note the screen on the diagram, but it would be on the "South" wall, between the speakers. I'm looking to get 100"-130" diagonal.

If everything passes the sanity check here I plan to start ordering equipment. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
259 Posts
What is your plan for the area on the east wall and at the bottom of the stairs? The reason I ask is my screen wall is identical to yours with the angled fireplace. I have found that when the fireplace is on it can warm up very quickly in the seating area. Is it possible to move the fireplace to the southeast wall? You would still get the visual effect of the fireplace while watching movies and it seems the heat would be distributed more evenly around the entire room. Just a thought, even if you were to leave it where it is it will be a great room. Good luck and have with your project.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm going to guess that the fireplace was a builder install, and not easily moved. Is it going to make your space feel off-center?

B

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Why not just move the home theater over to the right half of the room? The fireplace and home theater wouldn't be in competition with one another, and your seating wouldn't end up against a wall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah yes - I forgot to mention that the right side of the room is reserved for exercise equipment and so can't be used. Is 14 feet really that cramped? One of the things that I was really looking to get out of this setup is "real" surround sound. Am I going to miss out on that?

As for the fireplace, yes it was builder installed. I did consider removing it but I was quickly vetoed on that
. I see I didn't mention this in my original post but I plan to wall-mount the speakers about five feet high and angle them slightly downward (the centre will go higher - over the screen area). I'm hoping that will mitigate any heat issues. I don't expect to have the fireplace on often anyway, but wanted to avoid direct heat near the speakers.

@Craig. Glad to hear you like your Axioms. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Do you think that the Yamaha is a good receiver for them?

@BIGmouthinDC. Good advice. I'm looking at using Goo Systems special wall paint as a screen (mostly because it's cheaper and from what I can gather comparable to a good screen - opinions and other option are welcome though). My plan is to mount everything and run the cables outside the walls until I'm sure that it all looks/sounds ok. Then take it all down and open the walls/ceiling to install conduit and run the cables through them. Then put it all back "for real".

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
14' depth is fine, seating up against a rear wall is less then desirable for sonics.

Further, I think of a fireplace as a room focal point, and wouldn't want it competing with a nearby screen. The fireplace/screen layout just strikes me as being less then desirable, and in competition with one another.

I am a big fan of Goo Systems Goo screen paint. It is an excellent product.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Can't comment on the Goo Systems but you might want to take a look at this.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&highlight=bw I used this stuff and am happy with the results. A couple buddies bought screens and are now upset that they didn't know about this option. $50 to do my 120" screen. If a screen is in the budget by all means have at it. This is an inexpensive alternative so money can be spent elsewhere. And if you are not happy with the results you can paint over it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.