AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I can't take it.

I just purchased a Panasonic PT-61LCX66 LCD RPTV and the Silk Screen is really bad. I was watching Hockey and the sparkelys were everywhere, it made the image lose it's 3-Dimensional-ness. When watching World Trade Center, when they went to an all white screen there is a line of it going through the middle.

I don't notice it bad in Best Buy but when I bring the thing home.. man.

Also, what Calibration software should I use for and LCD RPTV? The blacks are screwed up, really blue.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Yes. The Panasonic RP LCD sets do seem to have noticeably more SSE than other RP sets like the Samsung and Mitsubishi DLPs and Sony SXRDs. As you've noticed, SSE is more evident in the middle of the screen when viewed from directly in front.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Its the nature of the beast. SSE is caused by way the screens are constructed to produce a bright picture with a wide viewing angle and very little glare. OTOH, plasma displays suffer from reflections and maybe burn-in depending how you treat it.

·
Registered
Sony A90J panel; Marantz SR7015 AVR; Paradigm Signature speakers; Oppo 203 and Panasonic 820 UHD BR.
4,333 Posts
Yea, I'll take reflections any day over SSE. You cannot do anything about SSE, but you CAN close drapes and utilize plasma perfectly.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Is there a general consensus on which of the DLP and LCOS tv brands have the least amount of SSE?

Has anyone viewed the various different brands extensively and determined which brand is superior in NOT seeing SSE?

I'm getting the impression from reading that the JVC's are the worst?

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete /forum/post/0

Is there a general consensus on which of the DLP and LCOS tv brands have the least amount of SSE?

Has anyone viewed the various different brands extensively and determined which brand is superior in NOT seeing SSE?

I'm getting the impression from reading that the JVC's are the worst?

I do not see any SSE on my Samsung HLS DLP set.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My JVC definitely shows the sse but the Sonys I looked at did also. I don't remember noticing it on the Samsung but I did see the rainbows. Others have commented that the see it on their Samsung sets. No rear projections set is immune to it if you are prone to seeing it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its on a, say, black and white shirt, or black hair sprinkled grey, it looks like the whites are moving, or the black is overlapping. It's a grainy effect. Really only see it on Vivid mode, but I do see it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did a little eyeball comparison of SSE on JVC, Samsung and Sony SXRD's today at Best Buy. Looks like the JVC's are worst followed by Samsung which is better and the Sony, where I could barely see it. Gotta check the Mits's soon.

Anyone else do something similar?

Unfortunately I've got a new JVC 52" 1080p...who knew?

Once I knew it was there, I find it hard not to look for it, damn it!

I could exchange for a Samsung 50 or Sony 50, but I hate giving up those extra 2" for the same price point.

Wish I wasn't such a shtickler for perfection!

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydam /forum/post/0

Its on a, say, black and white shirt, or black hair sprinkled grey, it looks like the whites are moving, or the black is overlapping. It's a grainy effect. Really only see it on Vivid mode, but I do see it.

Yea thats sse. Most noticable on sky backrounds and white scenes like hockey or sking. The blue blacks also are a eyesore and cant be improved unless you use a nd filter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.