1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have this set, as do others on the board.

The quality seems great to me, I have another RPTV and I prefer this CRT-based one by far. But there have been some posters saying that according to Sony this set handled 720p inputs to its tuner by downconverting to 480p, and my experience with ABC programs leads me to think this might be true. That to me is a pretty significant negative, if it turns out to be true. The line doubler seems top-notch, the color and constrast is top of the line as well. Feature-wise its great, built in tuner is superior to DTC-100's, the DRC circuitry is definitely next-gen stuff. I've had no real bugs or problems to report thusfar. Two HD inputs (component) and the firewire stuff for the future means great connectivity.

I wish the manual was more clear about the technical specs so I would have a firm answer to the 720p issue.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Forgot to mention - $3999 is not really a good price for mail-ordering this set, 3999 is the suggested retail. If you want to mailorder shop around, I've had quotes as low as $3199.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Love mine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Watched the new season on ABC last night. (Well some.) Thought it looked much better than zoomed 480p. If that's a 720 down convert, it's mighty good. I have no complaints!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah - I was trying to figure it out as well. It definitely looked nowhere near as good as the PBS Evolution special from the other night, but it did seem higher quality than the 480p stuff I've seen elsewhere, so I'm still a bit baffled. I was hoping for at least one scene or show that made it really obvious if it was really displaying 720p->1080i converted (as abelectronics shows in their spec sheet) or whether the rumors about 720p->480p were true. The ABC stuff looked great (and there was plenty of it) but nothing jaw-dropping to definitively say that its upconverting it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.