AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty new to all of this and drinking from a firehose trying to learn what's best. I have a budget that I've increased to $1,700 ish (I was told I'd get a lot more than $1,300ish) and I want a 5.1 system right off the bat, and need full specific product recommendations, I want to buy asap. So I'm asking different forums what the best setup would be for roughly $1,700 (maybe give or take a hundred or so) and I'm compiling a list of recommendations so far.

Can you tell me if these are good options, which you'd pick, and if I'm missing any better options? Again, I'm hoping to keep this under $2,000.

AVR/main unit:
Option 1: Denon X1600H, $600 - AVR-X1600H (2019)

Center:

Option 1: Emotiva C1, $250 - Airmotiv C1+ Center Channel Loudspeaker
Option 2: Emotiva C2, $400 - Airmotiv C2+ Center Channel Loudspeaker
Option 3: HTD Level THREE center, $250 - HTD Level THREE Center Channel Speaker

Front left and right speakers:

Option 1: Emotiva T-Zero, $400 - Emotiva Airmotiv T-Zero loudspeakers
Option 2: Emotiva B1, $300 - Airmotiv B1+ Pair Bookshelf Loudspeakers

Surrounds rear left and right:

Option 1: NHT Superzero 2.1, $70 each - Amazon.com: NHT SuperZero 2.1 Premium Home Theater Bookshelf Speaker - Clean, Hi-Res Audio | Sealed Box | Mini-Monitor | Single Unit, Gloss Black: Home Audio & Theater
Option 2: Micca MB42x, $90 each - https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2
Option 3: HTD Level THREE $380 for the pair - HTD Level THREE Bookshelf Speakers

Again, I have pretty little knowledge about these so if I'm missing a better option that still sticks to my sub $2,000 budget, please let me know.

I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
No sub on your list.

You could also save a lot of money and go with a refurb from A4Less. Or go with an Onkyo. Unless there was something specific you needed from the X1600H.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
So I'm pretty new to all of this and drinking from a firehose trying to learn what's best. I have a budget that I've increased to $1,700 ish (I was told I'd get a lot more than $1,300ish) and I want a 5.1 system right off the bat, and need full specific product recommendations, I want to buy asap. So I'm asking different forums what the best setup would be for roughly $1,700 (maybe give or take a hundred or so) and I'm compiling a list of recommendations so far.
Can you tell me if these are good options, which you'd pick, and if I'm missing any better options? Again, I'm hoping to keep this under $2,000.
You have some of the most popular recommendations on AVSF on that list. However... the .1 (subwoofer) is not on your list and it's essential. To give you sub advice and others, you'll be asked about room dimensions and structure, so you might wanna gonna go ahead and post that.
Also note that traditional surrounds in a 5.1 syste, are side surround and not rear. Doesn't mean you can't placer them in the rear if sides is an issue, just that rears are usually the extra 2 in 7.1.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Heard these in a high end store demo and it’s a fantastic setup and comes with a sub.
Add the Denon that you are considering and you are right on budget. I own their Prime elevations for Atmos duty and they sound amazing. They are essentially the same speaker, just designed to be mounted high on the walls or ceiling mounted. They also have a great return policy if you decide you don’t like them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Heard these in a high end store demo and it’s a fantastic setup and comes with a sub.
Add the Denon that you are considering and you are right on budget. I own their Prime elevations for Atmos duty and they sound amazing. They are essentially the same speaker, just designed to be mounted high on the walls or ceiling mounted. They also have a great return policy if you decide you don’t like them.
This can be a good option for a small space, as the SB1000 isn't very powerful and the speakers use small 4.5" woofers.
How does that work though? One of the sats is acting as a vertical center? Only 8.75" so it's not to high.
I wondered too if it's essentially the same speaker as the PE in a different cabinet. There is a $130 difference between them and the PE frequency response is spec'd at 55 Hz vs 69 on the sats.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This can be a good option for a small space, as the SB1000 isn't very powerful and the speakers use small 4.5" woofers.
How does that work though? One of the sats is acting as a vertical center? Only 8.75" so it's not to high.
I wondered too if it's essentially the same speaker as the PE in a different cabinet. There is a $130 difference between them and the PE frequency response is spec'd at 55 Hz vs 69 on the sats.
Admittedly I did not look at the specs, and I heard the sats in the system package with the sub. I own the elevations so I know the6 sound similar. So yes you are correct about the specs. That being said, this little system rocks for its size. Just trying to help him stay within his budget. Also, he never mentioned room size and he didnt have a sub in his proposed setup. I’m guessing the room size I heard them in was approximately 20x20. Quite a big sound for their size in that room. And yes one of the sats acts as a center. So I stand corrected, but still recommend based on his budget. Thanks for the fact checking.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Admittedly I did not look at the specs, and I heard the sats in the system package with the sub. I own the elevations so I know the6 sound similar. So yes you are correct about the specs. That being said, this little system rocks for its size. Just trying to help him stay within his budget. Also, he never mentioned room size and he didnt have a sub in his proposed setup. I’m guessing the room size I heard them in was approximately 20x20. Quite a big sound for their size in that room. And yes one of the sats acts as a center. So I stand corrected, but still recommend based on his budget. Thanks for the fact checking.
It looks like a great recommendation and you are correct, he didn't state the size of his space. It might just be pretty much the same speaker, only the cabinet difference allows for a lower FR.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Option 1: NHT Superzero 2.1, $70 each - Amazon.com: NHT SuperZero 2.1 Premium Home Theater Bookshelf Speaker - Clean, Hi-Res Audio | Sealed Box | Mini-Monitor | Single Unit, Gloss Black: Home Audio & Theater
Option 2: Micca MB42x, $90 each - https://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-Bookshelf-Speakers-Tweeter/dp/B00E7H8GG2
Option 3: HTD Level THREE $380 for the pair - HTD Level THREE Bookshelf Speakers

Again, I have pretty little knowledge about these so if I'm missing a better option that still sticks to my sub $2,000 budget, please let me know.

I can't wait!
Regarding the surrounds, I would vouch for the NHT Superzero 2.1. I had them in my family room and they were great. I used the following mounts with them.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can hunt around and find good deals on Polk RtiA5’s and the matching centers and bookshelves, even better deals if you can still find RTi8’s. They’re nice speakers and work great for movies. Then you can go used and get a couple year old SVS or Hsu sub and probably stay well within that limit.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It looks like a great recommendation and you are correct, he didn't state the size of his space. It might just be pretty much the same speaker, only the cabinet difference allows for a lower FR.
You’re probably right about them being the same speaker. I just remember hearing the setup and being very impressed. They also have another setup with a true center, but I don’t think it has a sub. Given his budget, he can get a very nice entry level setup. Room dimensions would help with suggestions and certainly if he could go somewhere and get a chance to listen to few speaker brands.

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I have a budget that I've increased to $1,700 ish (I was told I'd get a lot more than $1,300ish) and I want a 5.1 system right off the bat, and need full specific product recommendations, I want to buy asap.
AVR/main unit:
Option 1: Denon X1600H, $600 - AVR-X1600H (2019)

Center:
Option 1: Emotiva C1, $250 - Airmotiv C1+ Center Channel Loudspeaker
Option 2: Emotiva C2, $400 - Airmotiv C2+ Center Channel Loudspeaker
Option 3: HTD Level THREE center, $250 - HTD Level THREE Center Channel Speaker

Front left and right speakers:
Option 1: Emotiva T-Zero, $400 - Emotiva Airmotiv T-Zero loudspeakers
Option 2: Emotiva B1, $300 - Airmotiv B1+ Pair Bookshelf Loudspeakers

AVR: if you are a Costco member, you can check in-store for the Yamaha 700 which just recently came out, for $400. (Costco website is sold out.) It's an exact copy of a the RX6 which Best Buy sells for $600.

Front L/R: If you have a cabinet or shelf where you can put the B1+ then that's what I'd get...and you have their price wrong, they are $230/pr not $300/pr. If you will need to buy speaker stands for them, then the T-Zeros at $400/pr would be better since good stands will cost you at least $100/pr.

Center: if you sit within 8-10ft and are not a volume freak, the C1+ will be fine.

Surrounds: they do a lousy 5-15% of the output, so spend as little on them as possible when on a tight budget. Dayton AIR has similar AMT tweeters as the Emotivas and are only $60/pr shipped:

With the remaining budget, I'd get a Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12-F sub for $600 shipped.

If you already have a decent sub, then you can spend a couple hundred more for the C2+ over the C1+ and consider getting the T1+ over the T Zero, as well as the B1+ for surrounds over the Daytons. If you don't have a decent sub, go with the previous rec.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
You might want to take a look at RSL speakers as well. They get great reviews, free shipping and good prices on their speakers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Ascend Acoustics using their system Advisor:
CMT-340SE x 3
HTM-200 SE x2
$1068 + $118 shipping.
A Rythmik LV12F sub can be added for $599 with (I believe) a 5% discount.

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
Every hour is happy hour here ;) Sadly, I don't drink.
Guessing I was commenting on a different thread that a Canadian started.
Damn Canadians. At the crux of every bad thing (at least according to South Park).

·
Registered
817 Posts
How does someone seem Canadian? That might be the funniest thing I’ve seen today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts