AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my first plasma (about six weeks ago), I was looking at it as my "secondary display"... I have a very nice NEC CRT projector which puts out a *spectacular* picture on a 100+" screen, so I considered that my "primary display". But the CRT has been mothballed for awhile and won't see any use until we complete some major remodeling projects. (That could take up to a year to complete.) Even if it was available to me right now, though, I've realized over time that the plasma is going to be our primary display, and the CRT will be for special occasions (like inviting friends over for movies.)

After a month of trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear , my wife and I decided that we may as well spend a little more money and get a *good* plasma...

The 50" displays are simply more than we wanted to spend. I had all but decided on the Panasonic TH42PWD-6UY - it's reasonably priced (not much more than I originally paid for the Akai), and has an excellent picture. But a little nagging voice in my head kept saying, "If you get an ED panel, you'll regret it later. So, I discussed this with my wife, and she agreed - we should spend a little more money and get an HD panel.

I'd seen the Panny HD - looks great, more than we wanted to spend. Found a good deal on a Pioneer 433CMx - had seen it as well and really liked the PQ. I was just about ready to go for the Pioneer when I realized that I'd have to (spend more to) buy extra cards in order to have an S-video input for our DirecTiVo. Not good. More research...

Something (probably the INCREDIBLE PQ we get from the CRT projector) caused me to do a search for threads on NEC plasmas. By the time I finished reading I had discovered that NEC is *very* serious about plasma displays...
  • They make their own glass.
  • They're on their 4th generation of panels
  • They spun off their PDP division into its own company.
  • They're now the 3rd best selling brand of plasma displays, and are rapidly gaining on the #2 spot.

(Why there's not more discussion of these on the forum is a mystery to me...)
  • Their displays have excellent brightness, contrast, and black levels but above all, awesome color (a longstanding NEC trait.)
  • Their new plasmas have 12 bit color processing - 4096 grayscale levels! After struggling with chronic posterization on the Akai, that sounded like HEAVEN! (Can you say, "shadow detail???")
  • The range of supported resolutions and timings is by far the largest I've seen - on par with my CRT.
  • They have a really broad variety and number of inputs, and the connections are on the side - much easier to see and get at than the commonly found bottom I/O panels.
  • They have some very slick features... like "AccuDevice" (which, unlike many plasmas, insures that an analog input, once converted to digital, STAYS digital for the remainder of the processing and display.)
  • The remote is very nicely laid out, has discrete on/off and semi-discrete input source selection. AND, as with my CRT projector, you have the option of connecting the remote via wire if need be. (Sounds counter-progressive, but it's really useful for calibration, etc. - much more responsive and reliable than IR.)
  • AND it's very competitively priced - especially relative to Panny & Pioneer HD panels
On top of everything else, I discovered that NEC just introduced a $200 rebate on the 42XM2! Here's a link to the actual claim form: http://www.necvsd.com/42XM2/Plasma42..._0126_0330.pdf

I'm VERY impressed with everything I've read on this... impressed enough, in fact, to buy one sight unseen. (It'd be pretty hard to be disappointed by it after living w/the Akai for six weeks! :D)

For those who may be interested in this set, here are some valuable links I found:

Product Details: http://www.necvisualsystems.com/appl...Product_id=404

User's manual: http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corp...plasma_MAN.pdf

Specs & supported resolutions: http://www.necvisualsystems.com/corp..._modelinfo.pdf

I'll post a detailed review after it arrives and I've spent some time with it.

Special thanks to audiomikej, LZB and especially wblynch for their posts on NECs and the XM2 - you were instrumental in my decision. (If this thing sucks, I blame you! :p)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's really the utter lack of retail on >>any

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Makes sense. It's pretty scary taking such a "leap of faith"... Easier, though, when one is starting with an Akai PDP4294! :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito

(If this thing sucks, I blame you! :p)
Oh man, I'm not sure I can bear the stress of that responsibility !!

I'm sure it won't suck.....that bad

:cool:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Searching online stores shows the 42XM2 as having 256 gray scale and 16.7 millon colors, not 20 bit. Same with the spec sheet you linked. So, was the model updated recently? How can you be sure you are getting an updated one? The product information you linked indicates 4096 steps and 68.7 billion colors. Somebody is mixed up.

Bill

·
Registered
263 Posts
Elvis:

NEC is a good brand. I've had an 18" NEC monitor for 20 years that still does a great job. The new NEC has gotten some excellent reviews. BUT--NEC does not allow for DVI/HDCP or HDMI. NEC apparently has decided to focus on plasma as a dispaly device at convention halls, news rooms, schools etc. and lets Toshiba take their plasmas, add DVI/HDCP or HDMI and market them to consumers who have to be concerned about being able to view copy protected material in the future.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
The one you want is the 42XM2A/S. That has DVI-D HDCP, and does indeed have 4096 steps and 68.7 million colors. Here's the proper spec sheet: NEC 42XM2A/S Available here: 42XM2S vendor However their spec sheet reads differently for color, etc. Maybe NEC has updated the product but the vendors are still showing an old spec sheet? Best make sure your getting newer stock. This may be what the "A" designates.

Looking at the proper spec sheet for the 42XM2A I see now that model also has the 4096 step w/68.7 million colors and DVI. Don't know what the difference is between the two. However if this is all true, looks to be a great panel. You really can't go wrong with NEC. Looking forward to your report.

The rebate indicates it is for the non-A model. Be aware of that. They may well be wanting to liquidate old stock prior to releasing the A.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Ball
The product information you linked indicates 4096 steps and 68.7 billion colors. Somebody is mixed up.
Yeah, someone screwed up for sure; the 42XM2 is one of their 4th gen panels, *all* of which have 12 bit processing. Do a google search on "NEC 42XM2 AccuDevice" & you'll find an in-depth review that talks about this.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Malachy
NEC does not allow for DVI/HDCP or HDMI.
Malachy- I'm well aware of this, and even happy about it. See the "HDCP-free" link in my sig...

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have been a personal fan of NEC for quite some time. I have always liked their products and their visuals are outstanding but they were not going to add HDCP according to their engineering department. They personally told me " we have no plans of including HDCP in the near future" so , I bought the Panny 50" (Sept 2003)

I was following the NEC 50XM3 for almost a year in hopes they would eventually add it before production but no such luck. They did eventually add it and dropped their price by almost $2000 to compete with Panasonic.

Anyway, I look forward to your report Elvis.

Mark

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Quote:
. BUT--NEC does not allow for DVI/HDCP or HDMI
The spec sheets list DVI-D but not specifically DVI HDCP. There is a post in a thread you have linked in your sig that says it is DVI HDCP compliant. Is that correct for that panel?

This could be the stop gap purchase I was looking for.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Looks like a winner, Elvis. Appears to have all the features I'd want. I'll order one as soon as kitty direct verifies it has received my refused delivery Akai. I got a nice e-mail from them today indicating there wouild be no hassle. Awaiting your report on your new NEC.

I wonder how this compares to an ALiS unit?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by grizzledbiker
The one you want is the 42XM2A/S. That has DVI-D HDCP, and does indeed have 4096 steps and 68.7 million colors. Here's the proper spec sheet: NEC 42XM2A/S Available here: 42XM2S vendor However their spec sheet reads differently for color, etc. Maybe NEC has updated the product but the vendors are still showing an old spec sheet? Best make sure your getting newer stock. This may be what the "A" designates.

Looking at the proper spec sheet for the 42XM2A I see now that model also has the 4096 step w/68.7 million colors and DVI. Don't know what the difference is between the two. However if this is all true, looks to be a great panel. You really can't go wrong with NEC. Looking forward to your report.

The rebate indicates it is for the non-A model. Be aware of that. They may well be wanting to liquidate old stock prior to releasing the A.
So, Elvis, based on the info above, which one did you order??

Bill

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has anyone compared one of these to a Panasonic 42phd6uy? I'd be curious to know what differences were perceived. Thanks for the feedback,

John

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Ball
So, Elvis, based on the info above, which one did you order??
42XM2A. Don't need HDCP. Don't WANT HDCP.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shane Martin
The spec sheets list DVI-D but not specifically DVI HDCP. There is a post in a thread you have linked in your sig that says it is DVI HDCP compliant. Is that correct for that panel?
If this panel was HDCP compliant, I probably would not have purchased it. If you've read the post linked in my sig (and the one immediately following it), then you know that I am boycotting HDCP (and encourage everyone to join me in doing so.) The counterpoint can be read in the dialog between rogo and myself. For those who feel (as rogo does) that HDCP is a "must have" feature, NEC now makes the 42XM2A/S. The $200 rebate also applies to that model. The XM2/S is a brand new model. I can't speak to its availability, but the non-HDCP compliant model is available right now at street prices $300-400 lower (after rebate) than the Panasonic TH42PHD6UY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone had any luck in finding more than the one retailer already mentioned for the 42XM2A/S ?

Not having much luck trying to find them. Seems kinda silly to offer a rebate on something no one can buy yet...

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.