Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an old Toshiba SD9000 and now that I have a projector of course its easier to find faults.

At the edges of strong colours, especially reds, I often get vertical lines of the same colour. I see it on Halle Berry's red leather skirt as she bends over to tee off from Hugh Jackman's trailer in Swordfish. Of course Superman's red cape is another easy example, or even the edges of his yellow S on his chest.

Its like the Toy Story example that Secrets of Home Theater use to demonstrate it, except their example shows the effect with horizontal blue lines. Can the chroma bug give similar lines vertically, or is it only seen as horizontal lines.

Any thoughts? The projector is the Mitsubishi XD200. Maybe its the projector's problem?

Of course I'd like a new DVD player, but I'd want to make sure that solves the problem. As I'm in Australia, I'd like my new player to do PAL progressive, DVD audio, SACD, and be chroma bug free. Of course though there is no such beast.

Thanks

Obiwan

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Want perfection join the Borg from Star Trek 200 years from now they are still looking for perfection. Thank goodness I have ignorance is bliss, I watch the movie not do a post mortem on all the things wrong, it's not HD, But even in HD you will be looking for imperfections.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Also, for the aged among us - time passing brings not only advances in technology, but also diminishing eyesight... The inability to perceive imperfections is almost as good as them not being there!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And you'd like to keep those cataracts so you will always have that Renaissance soft focus outlook on life.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm fairly sure the chroma bug only manifests itself as horizontal gradations.

If it were an LCD, I would check your projector's panel alignment, and for a CRT, convergence. As its a DLP, I don't know what to check, but I don't think you can attribute this to the chroma bug. It could be some slight ghosting in the red signal...check your cables maybe.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Also, it could be chroma delay. If you don't see this artifact with other sources then I would strongly suspect this.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Chroma ringing and/or chroma delay is my first thought. My second thought is scaling artifacts, which ultimately is another form of ringing. It's bad, certainly; it's not supposed to be there.

I'd see if changing the sharpness control on the projector affects it (if the projector has a sharpness control). If there's any way for you to borrow a player with a known clean output, that would be worthwhile. Some models I know are pretty much ringing-free are Sony 7000, the Panasonic RP-56, RV-80, RP-62, and RP-82, and the JVC progressive players like the 723GD and 500BK. This isn't a comprehensive list, and not all those players are equivalent. But if you can get your hands on one, and it makes the artifact disappear, then you know the culprit is your DVD player.

If it's not the DVD player, you might want to look into using a scaler or HTPC to feed your projector its native resolution. The Focus Enhancements CS-1 is a good choice, though there are lots of others.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.