AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen three movies in the past few weeks at local commercial DLP cinemas . These have actually been very comfortable, nicely maintained theaters. I sat about five rows back to get a similar field of view to what I see at home. These theaters did a very nice job with the exit lights very low illumination and unobtrusive with very very little effect on the screen so PQ includingon/ off could be evaluated.

Anyway, at the end during the credits, I went right up to the screen to look at the perfs ,panel alignment etc. Each one I noticed that they all had things slightly defocused so I could not see pixel structure but I could see well enough to make out fringing.

This made sense since I can occasionally see pixels at home but not at any of these theaters.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is how they are supposed to display or just a little sloppy ?

Art

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
yes its also the norm here in germany.

they do it for many reasons.

-short distance to the screeen( less than 1.0 times the screen wide)

-have problems with perforatet screens

-give more film like look

and so on.....................

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Thats a strange coincidence because the last few times Ive been to the cinema, there has been some whack job running up to the screen during the credits.

Each time he was restrained and dragged away screaming....... "The focus, you mother ****ers, what have you done to the the focus. You don't get this **** on an HT5000. Serenity forever"

That aside, yes it is normal. I was told the focus is preset like that due primarily to seating distance, as Wolfgang stated.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Art, next time look around behind you, great no one around, now snap a few pictures and calmly walk towards the exit door and start pegging it before you get nicked mate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts