AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202650462402

I will be using this t.v for playing games and watching bluray. I play in a very dark room and I want very good pq and I want a t.v to be fast for gaming. How is that t.v suited for my needs and how does it rank among the hdtv enthusiasts. I just want to make sure I dont make a bad choice on the t.v I want to get so I would like as much information as I can get. Also I play in my bedroom from about 4-5 feet from the screen.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
That's Panny's entry level 1080p model & you can't go wrong with it but if your looking for slightly better contrast check out the PZ85 or if you need/want a PC Input check Costco's version of the PZ80 which adds one & if I remember right was going for around $900. Do a search on any of these models & you will get tons on info on them.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15439916

That's Panny's entry level 1080p model & you can't go wrong with it but if your looking for slightly better contrast check out the PZ85 or if you need/want a PC Input check Costco's version of the PZ80 which adds one & if I remember right was going for around $900. Do a search on any of these models & you will get tons on info on them.

I believe the actual contrast ratio on the pz85 is the same as the pz80. The main difference seems to be the VGA input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't the Panasonics have some input lag issues with gaming? I thought I read that here from a few people, but it would warrant a search. I saw that TV at Sears and instantly decided I wasn't going to bother with a high end set. I bought the A450 Samsung instead, but only becuase it was [appreciably] cheaper. I'm hoping it doesn't have any major lag issues since it can interfere with games like Guitar Hero and FPSs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't find a review on cnet and what are some other opinions on this t.v. I want to make sure I'm getting the right t.v and not make a bad choice so I want something with excellent picture quality. I play in pretty much pitch black and I hear thats where plasmas really excel at.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just realized it was a PZ series in the original post. I was thinking it was the PX. Sears also has the 720P PX series in 50" for [signifigantly less]. About the same PQ. You can decide for yourself if the 1080p is worth that. Personally, I'd go for (I went for) the larger/cheaper one. I had the Sears guy hook up a BR source to a couple TVs for a real comparison, not that analog signal they alway run to everything on the showroom. That's when I knew for sure what to get.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabshaft /forum/post/15440502

I just realized it was a PZ series, I was thinking it was the PX. Sears also has the 720P PX series in 50" for $900 or so. About the same PQ. You can decide for yourself if the 1080p is worth that. Personally, I'd go for (I went for) the larger/cheaper one. I had the Sears guy hook up a BR source to a couple TVs for a real comparison, not that analog signal they alway run to everything on the showroom. That's when I knew for sure what to get.

From 4-5 feet, I think the PZ series is a better choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is the TH-42PZ80U a good choice. I want to make sure I'm getting the best I can get for the money i'm spending and that i'm not making a bad decision getting this t.v. Again I play lots of games with a little bit of bluray. I play in my bedroom about 4-5 feet from the screen in pitch black darkness. I play multilayer alot so I would like a t.v that is not slow, and pq is the mosst important aspect as I want the games and movies to look their best. So based off my needs would you say to go and get the TH-42PZ80U?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert /forum/post/15440274

I believe the actual contrast ratio on the pz85 is the same as the pz80. The main difference seems to be the VGA input.

According to the Panasonic specs, the PZ80U has 20,000:1 CR while the PZ85U has a 30,000 CR. However people have said that in the real world the difference isn't very noticeable.

And the PZ85U has a more attractive bezel design than the frowny-faced PZ80U

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
The closer you are the more important the added resolution becomes....otherwise you will easily see the pixel structure.

It is all dependent on size vs viewing distance.

At 4' a 720p 50" will easily expose its' pixels for all to see, at 10' that same tv will look seamless to at least 50%+ of viewers.

At 12'/13' it will look seamless to almost anyone including eagle eyes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.