AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to get the television. But first, I believe a post on this forum is in order.

Is this the right time to buy the Samsung plasma? Will there be newer Samsung models coming out soon, and if so, will the prices be comparable as current models?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want the latest and greatest, you should wait a bit because the new panels are almost here. You can read about them in the Samsung Press Release thread.

If you are fine with this years models, the prices are good now and going to get better as the new panels hit the stores.

Of course, with a $3500 panel, I would think money would be less of an issue compared to having the newest...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I say go for it and get the set(63b590). People are always saying wait for the next gen...if one would keep doing that, they would always be waiting for 'the next big thing'. Technology is always changing. I knew that when I bought my sets last year that technology would advance and better sets would come out, but I had to take the plunge. I could have waited, but I would still be witout a tv. As it is I have been enjoying two beautiful sets for over a year and I don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
With respect, you're grossly exaggerating. It'll be a few months at most before the new sets are out. This isn't a "wait a year or two", it's "wait a few months and see pricing on the new models if they have features you're interested in. If not, buy last year's models at a significant discount".

·
Banned
518 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Great set.

You are currently in the period between great sales leading up to the Super Bowl and the great closeout discounts when the new sets start arriving in a couple months. That said, with som many comeptive online pricing options you can probably match the deals you would get at either of those times if you are a good negotiator or just lucky.

If you wait for the 2010 models in a couple months the upsides are they will now have a super-thin 63" inch model akin to the 850/860 this year than maxed out at 58" and it will be 3D-capable. Historically the black levels improve a little too but no one has put this to the real tests yet for the new models so it is entirely speculative whether the picture improves.

Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's begun, the bargains are here. I can see dealers here slashing prices on 09 models of all brands. A great time of year to buy stuff, just as last year's is going out.

With a new generation one never knows if they'll be worse or better til they've proven themselves. Buying an 09 now gives you the knowledge of how they performed this past year and I'd say Samsung had a good year. Many here say that the 09 Panasonics did not have a good year.

Buy the 09 Samsung and get a bargain. This is a perfect time of year to buy. I'm sure you'll find the dealers all set to make deals so do some squabbling. Ask for price guarantees, warranties, etc. My dealer gives a 60 day price guarantee so if prices continue to fall in the next 2 months I get money back on my already great deal. And I'm enjoying the tv without having to wait for prices to hit bottom.

Here's the official Visions line....

"That’s right! You buy your product now, in-store or on-line, and can be confident that if you see a lower advertised price from a Canadian authorized dealer offering full manufacturers warranty within the next 60 days, we will price protect your purchase."

·
Registered
3 Posts
im about to order a PN63B590.. im just wondering if this set has a light right below the bezel under the Samsung Logo.. if so.. can it be turned off when viewing as its kinda distracting when watching a film..

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassik82 /forum/post/18158515

im about to order a PN63B590.. im just wondering if this set has a light right below the bezel under the Samsung Logo.. if so.. can it be turned off when viewing as its kinda distracting when watching a film..

I think it can be turned off in the menu but I've never tried because none of us notice it. FYI, this light is the physical power button -- by default it glows white when on and turns off when off. I think its one of those things (most) people tune out pretty quickly. I actually think it's a pretty cool way to turn the set on and off and its give it something of an in-the-know aura since no one new to it can figure out where the power button is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.