AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung 50 DLP set and not sure what this so called rainbow effect is. What I do see sometimes when the picture changes quickly is a black and white grid that flashes just for a split second in the middle of the screen. It doesn't happen at every quick screen change but some of them. Is that it or is it another problem?? Any help please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Mark. Then could anyone help me with what I am seeing?? Again, it happens sometimes when the picture changes quickly from one scene to another. I see for only a split second a black and white grid (like a large tic/tac/toe board). Is this forshadowing bigger problems in the future? My wife didn't notice it until I pointed out to her. Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
How big are the squares of the grid? Does it happen on all sources/inputs? What model of Samsung?

The closest thing I'd think of is SDE, which could look like a grid, but on a wobulated DLP the pixels are diamond shaped and you'd only see it on certain kinds of motion, not on quick scene changes.

It sounds more like a source issue to me. I recently upgraded my DirecTivo to an HD-Tivo, but I'm running it to a regular tube CRT until the SXRDs arrive next month, so I was feeding it with S-Video. On quick scene changes from very bright to very dark scenes, I would see an electrical interference pattern flash on-screen briefly. I never saw that with my SD Tivo, and when I switched to composite video, it went away on the HDTivo.

Another possibility is there's something weird going on with the de-interlacing, either in the TV if it's being fed 480i or the source if it's doing the de-interlacing. If so you might be seeing the combing effect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Empire. I have a sammy hlp-5063. The squares are relatively small like maybe a 1/2 an inch each but the whole grid that will flash is about 6 inches. Hard to actually measure since it only flashes for a split second. Again, it happens on scene changes and not motion. I don't recall it happening on DVD's just when I watch DirectTV. I have regular D* (still waiting for the Mpeg4 conversion and hardware for HD). My hughes receiver only has an S video cable (no HDMI or VMI) so that's what I'm using. So it sounds like just a source problem huh?? I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something wrong with the TV itself since it's still under warranty. Could you please reply to comfirm? thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well I can't confirm anything since I haven't seen it, but from that description, if you only see it on D* and not DVD (I'm assuming component input for DVD) then it's probably source, or cabling, or connector. Try switching some inputs around. If you've got a composite out on your D* receiver, see if using that fixes it. Or try feeding s-video to a different s-video input on the TV, it could be a bad s-video port. Also try feeding s-video from DVD and see if you can reproduce it with DVD. If you can narrow it down to a specific input or source, then you'll know what needs to be fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.