AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Toshiba DST-3000 automatically "upconverts" all incoming signals -- not just 1080i but 480i as well -- to 1080i. The result, the writer claimed, was a picture significantly softer and more artifact-ridden than his ordinary cable signal on the same set (the second-gen. Panny 34-inch).

Can someone reassure me that there is a way to defeat this auto-upgrade "feature" on the Toshiba? If there isn't, I'll have to pay the extra cash for the Sony STB despite its many annoying flaws as reported elsewhere in AVS Forum. Unless there is a third, more affordable alternative (besides the DTC-100) that someone can recommend.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Andrew Marvick

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you are in the market i would suggest checking out the Panasonic TU-DST20. As far as i know it has native 480p, 480i,720p, and 1080i modes that you can pick and choose from. In the case of a 720p(less) display I think it has a sideconvert mode that slides it to 1080i.

if you don't go with the toshiba, i would strongly suggest checking that one out at least, it's got the directv plus built in too. And it's all geared for terrestrial as well as satellite DTV reception. good luck

------------------

-coop
my dvd list

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yes, the Toshiba "upconverts" all signals to 1080i when viewed through componet output. The only way to defeat this is to change the setting in the user menu to 480i and use the S-Video ouput of the STB. You cannot view native 480i through componet out. Yes, this is a flaw in the design. From my experience, some channels look better "upconverted" and some channels look worse. IMO, the worse the original signal, the worse it "upconverts." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help, AgtCooper and bmello. Does this mean, bmello, that if I just connect my TV (a Philips 30PW9815 "digital widescreen") to the DST-3000 twice (via the component, and also via an S-Video connection -- my TV allows both easily), I could just switch between inputs on my TV's remote when watching 480i channels? Is this possible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, Andrew, that is the exact scenario I use.... I switch from Video 1 (for 480i via S-Video) to Video 5 (for 1080i or 720p via component). This is a feature I like as I have a Sony KP53HS10, which is a 4:3 HDTV.

·
Premium Member
7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Marvick:
I could just switch between inputs on my TV's remote when watching 480i channels?
Yes, you switch from HD to SD on the STB and switch inputs on your set. Works fine, though the upconversion like 540p on the DTC-100 is very good (just makes you yearn for more HD content). If you have a pronto or a macro remotes it's an easy affair to switch back and forth (even on my Tosh which does not have discrete inputs).

Tim

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, all DirecTV can be scaled to be outputed at 1080i (even SD ones).

I myself have a macro remote, but I still don't like the fact these STBs don't output 1080i and 480i at the same time! This means I have to remember to switch the STB back to 480i (non-component) when I do VCR/TiVo recordings. This additional step is likely to be forgotten many times over, thus leaving me with a blank recordings. I really don't see why the STBs cannot output 1080i on component and 480i on composite at the same time. Even the new forthcoming Zenith won't be able to do this (although it can output 480i on it's component outputs). Why are STB designers/makers doing this? It seems like a major design flaw to me!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I agree it would be nice to hav 480i and 1080i output at the same time. I don't know about the Toshiba, but my DTC-100 automatically switches its output to 480i anytime I set it up for timed recording. After you set the timer a warning box comes on telling you it will automatically switch to 480i at that time. Then you have to manually set it back to 1080i after it is done.

SMK

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks for the info Roy! I wasn't aware of that feature, but it makes sense. Can anyone tell me if the DISH6000 or Tosh DST-3000 does this (or something similar)?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.