AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Cable companies often do not compress their HD signal. This results in high picture quality."

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Sometimes. Although, until recently, the same claims were made about Dish Network. As cable companies start adding more HD channels (including locals), there's no guarantee they won't further compress their HD content (just like Dish is now doing, and DirecTV has been doing for a while...)

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC-P
"Cable companies often do not compress their HD signal. This results in high picture quality."
Often being the key word.

Some cableco's do, some don't. Comcast doesn't.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
TWC does not compress their HD signals currently. However, they are in the process of 'simulcasting' their analog SD channels digitally. This means they'll be sucking up some more of their bandwidth and nothing says they won't start compressing their HD to compensate and to get more HD channels on and supporting digital SD simulcasting.

If they start dropping their analog SD stations all together that would free up a lot of bandwidth to get several decent digital SD feeds for every analog SD feed they had.

You also have to take into consideration cable modem usage is up. The more users with the higher data rate demands means that cable companies need to allocate more bandwidth to the cable modem users.

CCourtney

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I don't know where in Brooklyn you are, but I don't think that Cablevision compresses their HD and they have one of the best HD lineups out there.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1courtney
You also have to take into consideration cable modem usage is up. The more users with the higher data rate demands means that cable companies need to allocate more bandwidth to the cable modem users.

CCourtney
Not necessarily. Downstream bandwidth for HSD is generally segmented node by node, and can sometimes be even further segemented within the node.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldenpat
I don't think that Cablevision compresses their HD .
You are quite correct.

·
Registered
18,175 Posts
Quote:
TWC does not compress their HD signals currently. However, they are in the process of 'simulcasting' their analog SD channels digitally. This means they'll be sucking up some more of their bandwidth and nothing says they won't start compressing their HD to compensate and to get more HD channels on and supporting digital SD simulcasting.

If they start dropping their analog SD stations all together that would free up a lot of bandwidth to get several decent digital SD feeds for every analog SD feed they had.

CCourtney
Simulcasting will not take anymore bandwidth as they are rolling it out with SDV (Switched Digital Video). The plan is to leave the relatively low number of actual analog channels alone and put all digital and HD channels on a switch. This will "theoretically" allow room for hundreds (yes hundreds) of uncompressed HD channels.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I can't see any difference between what I get OTA and what Comcast digital cable gives us, so I'd say they aren't compressing HD here.

Tim

·
Registered
132 Posts
I too have HD cable, and have been trying to figure out where the distortion or "noise" is coming from. I have Insight HD and just moments ago bought a Terk T5 HD OTA antenna and got the same noise in the picture. I also just bought a new Samsung HL-R6168W 1080P set. While at the store for the antenna I noticed the Sony showing the same noise...... Im a bit disappointed. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mediacom cable here in Dead Moines is just like the city...dead. They offer nothing in HD yet. Now it's either D*, which I have had for 4 years or E*...the one I was going to switch to before I found out they are just as bad as D*. I was hoping a cable switch would solve my programming problems but noper.

Guess I'm off to E* for the better selection. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
cox in bryan/college station texas does not compress..... but it varies by location. you really need to ask this in your local thread as they will have better info for you.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldenpat
I don't know where in Brooklyn you are, but I don't think that Cablevision compresses their HD and they have one of the best HD lineups out there.
Pat, very true about the lineup but unfortunately they use VBR encoding on almost all programming and has for quite some time. Actually, I think they do a decent job in this regard but it is most definitely a re-encoded stream.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDPnNJ
You are quite correct.
Have a look at their bitrates. I think. you'll find otherwise.

·
Registered
273 Posts
kurajo, from what i know, the Samsung HL-R6168W is not a 1080p TV, as you say it is. Isn't it just 1080i?

I'm curious, as I'm considering buying one.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliff
Pat, very true about the lineup but unfortunately they use VBR encoding on almost all programming and has for quite some time. Actually, I think they do a decent job in this regard but it is most definitely a re-encoded stream.
Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't sure which is why I said "think", but I remember others showing bitrates for the movie channels that were quite high. I guess that was a while ago.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Quote:
I've been told directly by the head network engineer for my TWC division that they do NOT compress the HD channels at all. They pass them to us as they receive them (other than doing whatever they have to do to put them in their "system").

As for digital simulcasting, as already mentioned, I think the intent of this is to actually free up more bandwidth, not use more.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Often being the key word.

Some cableco's do, some don't. Comcast doesn't.
I find that interesting. My brother has Comcast, I have DirecTV. We both purchased an Optoma RD50A during the past year.

I spent the Christmas holiday at his home watching his Comcast HD, and I've got to tell you: If anything, I thought it was at best equal to, but perhaps even slightly inferior to, my DirecTV HD. I realize that there can be a lot of factors that alter picture quality, but I was expecting to have the world of "true HD" opened up to me via Comcast. No dice. I guess I'm just satisfied with HD-Lite, because -- to me -- it looked either as good as or slightly better than Comcast HD.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcliff
If VBR for video is anything like VBR for audio, then it should result in a higher quality end-result. I encode all my MP3's using VBR and they're noticeably better than using a constant bit rate.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.