AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UTV unit's first tuner is ok, however the second tuner was having the picture going black, then comming in again, then going black again or heavy pixelization.

So I check the signal strength, and low and behold the signal for tuner 1 is mid-high 80's, and tuner 2 goes 85 to 0 to 80 to 0 to 89 to 0 and just keeps yo-yo'ing between 0 and the 80's. (So its not weather)

So I tried to switch lines comming in from the dish (since the line plugged into tuner 1 is ok, so I switched them, and the same problem continues. So the problem is the receiver. Now I'm guessing this is either tuner failure happening, or a software issue somewhere.

Anyone have any sugestions, should i try the reboot that deletes everything, or is this definitely a hardware issue? If so where can I possibly get it fixed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched it at the utv. 2 lines comming in from LNB (no multiswitch). 1->Tuner 1, 2->Tuner 2. So I switched it to 1->Tuner 2, and 2->Tuner 1. Is this not the same as switch the wires at the lnb? If not I'll go do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What you did is fine. It demonstrates the issue is with the receiver. If you switched the cables and the problem stayed on the same tuner (2) then it has to be an issue with the receiver.

If the problem had moved to tuner 1 when you switched cables then it would be a cable/lnb issue.

Slick

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi iammenotyou,

You should test the cables one at a time.

Just swapping cables doesn't really narrow down the problem. UTVs have been known to "hide" tuner problems.

This isn't to say that one of your tuners hasn't failed but it may mean that one of your cables or your LNB (or multi-switch) are the real culprit and the UTV is hiding the problem by making it always seem that tuner 2 is failing...

(making you think it is just the UTV and not the Sat setup)

Check each cable for poor connections, wiggle the cable a bit on each tuner...

Check each cable on both tuners by themselves... give each cable a minute or two on each tuner to notice any large variation in % and lock .

As a side note:

Be sure your UTV is staying cool. (Fan is working, vents are open and clear on all sides, feet are elevated, unit is unplugged/cooled down for a time (overnight is great))

It may not fix a bad tuner but if it comes back alive then you may be able to extend it's live a little longer. For anyone still stuffing their UTV into closed spaces or stacking them on top of hot spots without allowing for proper cooling take note now.

UTV Tuner failure can happen to any of us... but if you treat your UTV right ,from the factory you may avoid any heat related UTV issues.

Later,

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

After rereading your first post.

What does your History Log say about tuner status?

Does the constant 0-89% changes in tuner (2?) change the tuner status from 1to2, 2to1 regularly...

If you're still able to get OK PIP use out of the UTV on occassion I'd strongly suggest you cool down your UTV ASAP.

Assuming there are no cable/lnb/multi-switch issues here, a tuner that is still working on occassion is a live tuner. DEAD is still DEAD after all.

Give your UTV an overnight nap (unplug and get it into the open if not already) to cool off and see how it feels in the morning.

:)

Good Luck,

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's exactly what my first UTV receiver did when it died - one of the tuners would bounce between 0 and 80+ signal strength. Did it just out of warranty, too, which is why I bought the extended warranty when I replaced it.

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
In addition to allowing your UTV to cool off, make sure you have nothing sitting on top off it. It's also better if you can raise the unit up a bit off it's rather unsubstantial little feet. The bottom is intended to act as a heat sink and will work better if more air can get underneath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.