AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sceptre X23BV-Naga. I have a PS3 via HDMI and cable hooked up. Is it Worth it? Where can I get it done?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Worth is relative.

What is the cost of your time spent learning how to do this versus paying someone to come and do it for you?

Typical pro calibration costs run in the $250 to $350 range depending on what you want done.

regards

·
Registered
298 Posts
given the size of the TV and the contrast ratio, getting it professionally calibrated may not be worth it if you are only 13.

what I would do if I was you is pickup Digital Video Essentials HD Basics Blu-ray it's under 25bucks and will help you get an understanding of what a calibration entails and is easy enough for you to follow along and do a basic calibration yourself

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Small, cheap, LCD TVs, such as yours, typically don't offer much in the way of adjustments a professional calibrator will require. Most likely, in-depth calibration is not even possible for your set. 'Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics' will offer you plenty of valuable learning about what you should do with the available picture controls on your TV. Definitely start there.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Usually I don't push our disk, but the PS3 will play the AVCHD at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 The only thing you would need for basic settings is a blue filter. There is a mention in how to get a blue filter in the description of the flashing color bars. You could also get a blue filter that way and rent DVE if you use Netflix. Primarily what either disk will allow you to do is to set black level, color/tint, sharpness, and to check white level.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried that and It wouldn't even recognize it had a disk in it. Thanks for the tips, on my way to buying the DVE HD.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
You will learn much more about home entertainment systems in general from 'DVE: HD Basics.' It's also presented in a more entertaining manner, and is designed specifically for consumers who are relatively new to all the technology.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Every TV benefits. Pro tuning the grayscale is excellent and satisfying knowing you got the colors looking the way they should look. Once you get use to how colors should look it's tuff to settle for anything else. That aside on you TV I get started right now with the THX optimizer on many DVD's, Star Wars DVD's have look the the THX logo in the DVD menu.

·
Banned
889 Posts
It's great to see someone at that age interested in this field. At thirteen I wasn't allowed even to turn the family TV on or off(!) let alone find out what the 5 user controls did.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther179 /forum/post/14179895

I tried that and It wouldn't even recognize it had a disk in it. Thanks for the tips, on my way to buying the DVE HD.

you may have burned the disc improperly or had a bad DVD or something.

I use a PS3 as well and downloaded the AVS709 BLU-RAY disc and it works perfect.

as much as I love that DVD for someone like yourself the DVE HD disc will be better for you right now since it includes the filters as well as a step by step set up instructions.

it will tell you why things are done a certain way and what effect each setting will have, whereas the AVS709 is more for intermediate to advance users

good luck, let us know how it turns out for you and if you have a questions be sure to post and ask for help but if you do please be as detailed as possible in your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/14186667

It's great to see someone at that age interested in this field. At thirteen I wasn't allowed even to turn the family TV on or off(!) let alone find out what the 5 user controls did.

same here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know this isn't in the right category, How would I choose my audio? My tv has 4 defaults and custom.

The defaults are movies, speech, music, and standard.

Also, any Idea what my native resolution is?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do but it says 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i(scaled), 1080p(scaled). I'm guessing 720p. When I scan for resolutions on my PS3, it supports them all. or 1366x768.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
More likely the native resolution is a computer resolution like XGA (1024 x 768) or WXGA (1280 or greater x 768). So, 720P is likely also scaled, even though the manual doesn't say it is.

Doesn't your manual offer any guidance for sound options? It sounds like the presets would be suitable for built-in speakers. If that's the case, they are so small and poorly designed that it wouldn't matter much what mode to set the sound to. Toggle through the options and pick what sounds best to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts