AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Radioshack has the Dish 508 (receiver only) for $200 bucks if I increase my programing to the Top 150 for a year. I have an old 3000 box, but I want the Dolby and UHF remote ( he says it comes with two remotes)

I thought I saw a post where someone received the upgrade for free by talking to Dish representatives?? :confused:

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The current deal from Dish is $199 with a 1 year commitment to AT150 and CC Autopay. Off the top of my head, I don't remember reading about someone getting one for free after talking to a CSR.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Don't think so buddy - they aren't even offering them to NEW subs for free, much less us old-timers. The $200 + AT150 + CC autopay for a year is the cheapest I've ever seen them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I'll pick one up. He claims the're two uhf remotes in the box. I looked on Ebay and there are several 508's for sale but, with only one remote.

Regards, Rich

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
When the 508's first started shipping they included 2 remotes, never understood the reason why, but no one's complaining :)

OT- Not that it makes a difference, just curious Rich, is the 508 Echostar/Dish branded or RCA branded. RS has Dish because of a deal with Thomson, but the 301s are the only RCA E* boxes I've seen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I wanted the additional uhf remote as I've got the coax piped into the bedroom and don't need two receivers. Being able to controle the receiver in the living romm is a +. The young man at Radio Shack didn't have the receiver for me to look at. He ordered it and it's supposed to be in Friday.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I believe there is no commitment for the 508 at Costco

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out the Radio Shack 508 had only 1 remote (they offered to sell me an additional remote for $50.00) :mad: The salesman said they were packing two remotes until mine came in. Traveled on to Costco ($269 w/ no commitment) again only one remote :mad: I bought it, bought a fiber optic cable and headed home to enjoy some 5.1. Turns out my minimal programming doesn't offer much in the way of digital audio:mad: I guess I'll have to upgrade my programming. QUESTION, is there any programming on Dish that will even come close to the audio and video quality I get from a good DVD using component video and toslink??

Regards, Rich

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
If you want DD5.1, HBO E+W, SHO E+W, some of the PPV, and I think Starz E+W.

DBS isn't going to be close to a good DVD.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Rich, also keep in mind a lot of the programming on the channels that Scooper mentioned above, are in DD2.0 rather then 5.1. Except for PPV, all 10 or so PPV channels with DD audio are in DD5.1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll still be renting lots of DVD's. An aquaintance of ours does busines with a co. in San Jose that mails DVD's for viewing. You pay a flat monthly fee (I believe $30.00) and they supply all you can watch (I think 3 at a time) When done you mail 'em back. Save a trip to the rental store, and It could be economical if you watch a lot of movies. In the mean time perhaps it "placebo" but I think the 508 box is providing a better picture than the old 3000 box. I didn't change the dish or wiring. Is this possible, or just my imagination?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Quite possible - I've heard other people make the same observation. The theory is that dish is putting better D/A convertors in the newer series receivers (and PVR's).

Enjoy !

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It's possible, the 501 and 508 are supposed to be using a better graphics chip then older Dish boxes. When I replaced my 2800 with the 501 I noticed no difference though.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Steve - do you still see some "Red Jaggies" on the 501 ?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I don't think I ever saw the red jaggies, I've seen them mentioned at DBSTalk and DBSForums, but I haven't noticed any myself. Maybe the problem was fixed before I got the 501, I got mine at the end of July.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.