AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RX-V795a AVR.

While doing a phase test for the first time, I've noticed the rear surrounds in my 5.1 setup act differently than the mains do during their test.

While playing the 'noise' testing 'in phase' I can hear the 'noise'. While playing the 'noise' testing 'out of phase' there is silence.

I'm testing with both the old Avia disc and the disc I burned available here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=742969 and I get the same result.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I not providing enough info?

Is my question a dumb one?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
You have 272 views and no replies, probably means that nobody knows the answer or there is lack of understanding to your question.

Sorry, I'd love to help, but I don't know the answer.

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts
Try posting your question in the thread you linked to above. If you're using that disc, the author of the disc should know how it's supposed to work. Or, PM him directly.

Craig

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

My questions has been posted in that forum for about a week now.

I guess my question is a very ambiguous one. I believe I've described the symptom adequately. If not, please let me know that and I will try and clarify.

There must not be as known solution.

I'm a little stunned at that with all of the experts that use this forum.

Perhaps I have an issue with my AVR.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/20871040

Try posting your question in the thread you linked to above. If you're using that disc, the author of the disc should know how it's supposed to work. Or, PM him directly.

Craig

Ah man, Lancaster PA and your a Greenbay fan??? jk

·
Registered
241 Posts
When my speakers and sub are out of phase, they sub effects cancel out and I lose the low notes. I have to set my phase switch on my sub to 180 degrees and there is a dramatic difference. much more bass. you are doing the test correctly.

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro /forum/post/20871413

Ah man, Lancaster PA and your a Greenbay fan??? jk

I grew up in WI during the Lombardi era. Been a Packer fan all my life. That ain't changin' based on where I live.

Craig

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 /forum/post/20856654

I have a Yamaha RX-V795a AVR.

While doing a phase test for the first time, I've noticed the rear surrounds in my 5.1 setup act differently than the mains do during their test.

While playing the 'noise' testing 'in phase' I can hear the 'noise'. While playing the 'noise' testing 'out of phase' there is silence.

Do you mean at the listening position you can't hear anything, or do you mean that there is absolutely no sound emitted from either speaker?

Quote:

I'm testing with both the old Avia disc and the disc I burned available here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=742969 and I get the same result.

If two different media disks produce the same results, you need to look at your AVR.

Quote:

Is this normal?

Depends on if the surround speakers are completely shutting off or not. If they are shutting off, then no it's not normal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed!

We recently had some work done in my home theater room. When I reconnected everything I had two devices connected to the same input on my AVR (one optical & one coaxial).

One of the two devices was my BD player (the other being sound out from my TV). We had not watched a Blu-ray disc or DVD until last night. When we stuck the BD version of Blazing Saddles into the BD player last night, all I could get out of it was Pro Logic. That caused me to look at that wiring and see the error.

Until then I had checked the polarity of my wiring for what seemed like a 1000 times, and never looked at that section of my AVR. When trying the two calibration discs I have, I never looked at the display on my AVR either to see what was being decoded. I must have reset my BD player 3 or 4 times to change the sound output settings of it!!

Isn't it always the least likely place you look after you commit a series of stupid errors?

Thank you to all who tried to help!
I'm posting this in case someone with a similar issue else finds this thread in the future.

·
Registered
29,304 Posts
The settings on your blu ray player are wrong. Make sure it is set to output bitstream and Dolby Digital, DTS through the digital output. And also make sure you select the correct audio track on the movie.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Uh, thanks - but as I said earlier all is good now. My settings were correct all along.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.