AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across a role of 75m of this speaker wire a couple years ago when a store was closing out. Paid $4 for the role.

Just wonder if it will be ok for my home theatre. I have a 5.1 system, with the Infinity Primus 252 towers ( http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HSUZ1xVs5Nt/p_108P252/Infinity-Primus-P252-silver-grille.html#details-tab ), and plan on getting the Yamaha RX-V675 amp.

This speaker wire is in a black rubber coating, looking like an extension cord. The role says: Dual balanced type audio cable. 0.2mm x 16 twist. PE foam O.D. 1.6mm. 2 conductors (red/white). Nylon/cotton filling. 0.2mm x 7. Foil. PVC O.D.6.0mm.

Then printed on the cable it says High Performance Directional Balanced Cable, and then it says 'signal path' and has an arrow.

I find it weird that would be directional... sounds like a gimmick.

Would this wire suffice? My longest speaker run (to front tower) would be 20-25 feet. The sales guy (for amp) suggest 16 awg, but not sure how the above numbers translate to awg. I think 0.2mm is 32 AWG?

·
Registered
663 Posts
if there is a foil shield over the two conductors, this sounds more like microphone, or line level audio cable. Trust your eyes, do you have other speaker wire of known gauge you can use to compare?

A single pair of 32 AWG isn't really appropriate for use for speaker wiring. I would look at 16 AWG as a minimum, depending on what kind of power your amp is capable of.

Assuming your aren't thinking about installing this inside a wall, since it doesn't sound like a properly rated outer jacket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts