AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Onkyo HT-R540 that I got from a HTIB as my receiver. The only upgrade I have done so far is replaced the sub with a Bic H-100.

The TV I have now is a Philips 60pp9202 rear projection. It only does 1080i over component with no HDMI inputs. I am looking to upgrade televisions this year to perhaps a Kuro or a large DLP depending if any new ones come out this year.

My only experience thus far with audio or receivers is Onkyo and I've been pleased so far, except for the sub which is why I replaced it. The speakers I have now are okay, but I'm seriously considering upgrading at least the front 3 soon. If I do the budget would be roughly $1k or maybe a little over for the 3 speakers. I am not opposed to buying used either. I will post on the speakers forum looking for ideas, but if you have any ideas for speakers feel free to share.

I've never done anything with an amp, but I would not be opposed to going separates if it is warranted. That being said, I would like to upgrade my receiver to something with HDMI for when I get a new TV. I do not want passthrough as I want both audio and video transferred. I do 30% tv 40%movies and 30% gaming currently. I use a ps3 for blu-rays as I have a decent size collection. I would love to be able to use the best audio codecs possible that my ps3 can send for audio.

I am an audio noob so I need a lot of hand holding I guess you would call it. I have read here on the forums quite a bit, but unlike televisions which I can tell differences in rather easily, speakers and receivers are a whole new thing to me that I would like help learning more about. I don't have any stores to audition speakers or receivers without driving probably 3 hours away so I need some up front information.

I currently have a 7.1 setup.

Knowing all this, what receiver would be best for my use? My budget would be around $300-$400ish for the receiver and I noticed someone selling a 706 on here for about my top range. Would I need that or would the 606 or even a different model/brand be sufficient for what I use? I thought the 706 might be good as it upconverts to 1080i over component which would be nice for regular television and/or playing regular dvds.

Sorry about the rambling, just trying to give as much info as possible so you can help me better. Feel free to ask any questions or direct me to threads to read about. I know some of the basic differences in the receivers, but like I said the amp thing is new to me and if I upgrade my speakers which I'm sure I need to do I may need to use one.

TIA!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092513 ) is a good recent discussion on receivers in the ~$400 range.

Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, and Harman Kardon all make fine receivers with the feature set you mentioned at or near your price range.

Quote:
Knowing all this, what receiver would be best for my use?

There is no best. There are several closely competitive products with varying feature sets, compromises, and trade offs. Unfortunately, as you are finding out, it is hard to say what differing features are important to YOU.

If you've owned Onkyo and been happy with the brand, then buy another. The user experience, amp character, and such should be similar. If you've been reading on here, you'll notice that many people think Onkyos run hot. If you'd rather have a cooler running rig, then try another brand.

Once you narrow things down to some broad requirements like price, number of inputs, HDMI processing support, number of channels, and power, you should come up with 3 to 5 contenders that will all have their supporters here. Since you don't have a store nearby to audition at, I suggest downloading the user manuals for the contenders and browsing through them. You should come up with some differentiators that will help your decision - and be thoroughly overwhelmed and confused as well.

The easy answer here would be: Buy the Denon AVR-789 ( http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4560.asp ). It's a competent receiver from a well-known, trusted brand.

Your question could then be: Why that over the Pioneer 1018AH ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...VSX-1018AH-K)? Answer: Audyssey is better than the Pioneer's room tuning. Counter: But the Pioneer has a direct iPod connection via USB. Answer: Fine, buy the Pioneer.

Again, there is no "best". You have to determine what "best" means to you and then pick from the few choices the people on this board can direct you to.

- Jasen.

P.S. Yes, it is a slow day at work and I do have other things I should be doing.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Jasen for the response, I will check out the threads you mentioned.

Do you think I would benefit more by upgrading my receiver and speakers now or waiting until I purchase an HDMI equipped television? I ask because if I wait on the receiver I would be able to spend a little more on the speakers. Most people on here seem to say spend more on speakers as receiver tech changes quite often.

I'm assuming if I spend say $1k or a little more on a set of front 3 speakers then I would need a separate amp to power them in which case I would have to upgrade my receiver now. I wish there was someone I could pick their brain with over lunch or something. Too bad I live in rural America. If only AVS had a chatroom between all the forums lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.