AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought THX was a sound thing....


I'm trying to decide between the 42S1 and the 42G10. There is about $80 difference in the price.



Is the 42S2 better than the s1? I'm not so sure yet.


Thanks for any tips!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGrooves /forum/post/18262763


I thought THX was a sound thing....


I'm trying to decide between the 42S1 and the 42G10. There is about $80 difference in the price.



Is the 42S2 better than the s1? I'm not so sure yet.


Thanks for any tips!

The S2 has so far demonstrated that it has MARGINALLY darker blacks. Shadow detail (Gamma) is better on the S1. With the whole black level issue thing, I'd go S2 for a more gradual rise in black level. But if you can catch a closeout deal on the S1, thern by all means go for it. Forget the G10. THX is a picture mode, and only applies to that specific mode. The THX mode is for videophiles only, and seems dim to many. And unless you contact a technician to apply an update, then the THX mode has a green tint.


Go for either a closeout S1 or get an S2. Its really pretty much the same set overall though, with the exception opf the bezel.


S1:



I own an S1, it has a really glossy bezel. Fingerprint magnet, but looks nice


S2:



The S2 bezel is a harder, smudge resistant bezel. "The S2 series also feature Clean Touch bezel (not on the 58 and 65 inch) designed to keep the TV bezel looking its best with less fingerprints. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome... just the type of information I was looking for.


I found the S1 for just about $710. The G10 for $787 and the S2 for $796!




So, with that in mind, what do you recommend? By those price options, it seems the S2 is ruled out.


So, the S1 or G10?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I'm not familiar with the "black level issue thing".


I want a nice TV, and refuse to get some crappy brand, but is this black issue something that I'd never notice unless I read about it here first?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGrooves /forum/post/18262855


Awesome... just the type of information I was looking for.


I found the S1 for just about $710. The G10 for $787 and the S2 for $796!




So, with that in mind, what do you recommend? By those price options, it seems the S2 is ruled out.


So, the S1 or G10?

I'd go S1. I think you'd be wasting $77 dollars for the G10. Again, the mode is very dim, so videophiles only. And if you were to go with the G10, its only 11 to the S2.


S1 definitely, unless you want a blue strip on you TV, and want to say you have the latest model
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGrooves /forum/post/18262864


Also, I'm not familiar with the "black level issue thing".


I want a nice TV, and refuse to get some crappy brand, but is this black issue something that I'd never notice unless I read about it here first?

Really depends. Are you picky about black levels. For the record, the black levels will still be better than 80% of TV's out there just not better than 95% like at the beginning, and will still blow away any 720 dollar TV. The blacks do triple through 2,000 hours, but MOST people don't notice. Do you watch TV in a pitch dark room? It isn't noticeable at all in a lit room.


All indications are that the S2 has the exact same amount of rise within 2,000 hours, but the rise is broken up into many smaller "adjustments".


And fwiw, the S1 has the same black level as the flagship V10 and Z1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Forgot to mention, there is also a 48HZ mode on the G10, which eliminates judder in movies, but in turn adds flicker. You'd have to step up to the V10 to have this feature worth the money. MOST people dislike the 48hz mode.


Also, G10 Bezel:



And ignore anything you hear about breaking in the set. Don't waste your time. You won't notice a thing unless you're a videophile.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGrooves /forum/post/18262855


So, with that in mind, what do you recommend? By those price options, it seems the S2 is ruled out.


So, the S1 or G10?

The G10 is definitely worth the extra money over the S1. I have a lot of viewing time under my belt on both models in similar environments with the same sources and content. The G10 has better colors and more accurate skin tones, the ability to download firmware updates over the internet, some of the Viera Cast goodies are nice (i love Pandora radio and You Tube), and has a thinner and nicer looking cabinet. Plus the other dozen or so additional features the G10 has over the S1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18262984


The G10 is definitely worth the extra money over the S1. I have a lot of viewing time under my belt on both models in similar environments with the same sources and content. The G10 has better colors and more accurate skin tones, the ability to download firmware updates over the internet, some of the Viera Cast goodies are nice (i love Pandora radio and You Tube), and has a thinner and nicer looking cabinet. Plus the other dozen or so additional features the G10 has over the S1.

You really think anyone but a videophile will care about these features?
Five Color Temp choices: Cool 2/Cool 1/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 (S1 only has the usual 3: Cool/Normal/Warm)


THX mode


48Hz mode


Sub Pixel Control


Viera Cast IPTV


Analog Audio Output


Can play AVCHD/MPEG2 video from the SD card slot


Bass Boost: Enhances bass sound and provides powerful sound. (On/Off)


x.v.Color: Provides the appropriate picture when images corresponding to “x.v.Color” are input via the HDMI input of this TV. (Off/Auto)


LAN Port


VGA port


Nicer Pedestal Stand



Sure, the internet is a nice kick, but I get the impression that this guy just wants a nice picture. $77 dollars later and I don't think most would notice a difference.


Again, THX mode is too dim unless you are in a pitch dark room. Sure, you get a more accurate picture, but again, most will NOT notice. And he would have to schedule a service appointment to update THX mode to be accurate. It isn't download-able over the internet.

S1, G10, V10, Z1 all share the SAME EXACT panel. Yep, thats right, same exact TV with a different firmware that drives and supports different features, and a different bezel. The picture is 95% the same throughout the line.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18263011


You really think anyone but a videophile will care about these features?

Five Color Temp choices: Cool 2/Cool 1/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 (S1 only has the usual 3: Cool/Normal/Warm)



THX mode


48Hz mode


Sub Pixel Control


Viera Cast IPTV


Analog Audio Output


Can play AVCHD/MPEG2 video from the SD card slot


Bass Boost: Enhances bass sound and provides powerful sound. (On/Off)


x.v.Color: Provides the appropriate picture when images corresponding to x.v.Color are input via the HDMI input of this TV. (Off/Auto)


LAN Port


VGA port


Nicer Pedestal Stand


Sure, the internet is a nice kick, but I get the impression that this guy just wants a nice picture. $77 dollars later and I don't think most would notice a difference.


Again, THX mode is too dim unless you are in a pitch dark room. Sure, you get a more accurate picture, but again, most will NOT notice.

I'm not a videophile but i can tell when skin tones look accurate or not. A lot of people really like THX mode for watching movies. I don't prefer it, but my "wife" and a few friends love it.


Since i have direct experience with both TVs i was just giving my opinion and giving some info that would help him see some of the advantages of the G10. I paid an extra $200 back when i was shopping, and i'm still glad i spent the extra dough. $77 is not that much of a premium - it's less than a half-day's pay spread over the life of the TV. I'll leave it up to the OP to determine if he thinks the extra $77 is worth getting the G10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18263052


I'm not a videophile but i can tell when skin tones look accurate or not. A lot of people really like THX mode for watching movies. I don't prefer it, but my "wife" and a few friends love it.


Since i have direct experience with both TVs i was just giving my opinion and giving some info that would help him see some of the advantages of the G10. I paid an extra $200 back when i was shopping, and i'm still glad i spent the extra dough. $77 is not that much of a premium - it's less than a half-day's pay spread over the life of the TV. I'll leave it up to the OP to determine if he thinks the extra $77 is worth getting the G10.

+1. Sorry if I sounded arrogant. End of the day, it is up to the OP to weigh the options. I just didn't see any benefit when viewing both TV's. Picture looked identical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18262984


The G10 is definitely worth the extra money over the S1. I have a lot of viewing time under my belt on both models in similar environments with the same sources and content. The G10 has better colors and more accurate skin tones, the ability to download firmware updates over the internet, some of the Viera Cast goodies are nice (i love Pandora radio and You Tube), and has a thinner and nicer looking cabinet. Plus the other dozen or so additional features the G10 has over the S1.

I bought a G10 over an S1 for the same reason. It looked better than the S1 & to me it was easily noticeable. I like the THX too but the internet stuff didn't matter to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18262906


And ignore anything you hear about breaking in the set. Don't waste your time. You won't notice a thing unless you're a videophile.

+1 on that, don't waste your time.


I couldn't care less for this "THX" certification, or the marketing spec bumps. That said, I'll pay the extra $80 for the G10, this is less than 1/2 of price difference based on MSRP, so if anything you get better resale value. If nothing else for the PC input.


If you know anyone with a certain EPP access, a 65" S1 can be had for a hair more than the MSRP of the 50" S1 right now. 58" S1 less than the MSRP of the 42 S1!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I got the G10, glad I did just for the features like the network access and the fact some people "report" it's better than the S1. It was barely $100 more, hardly a big deal over the lifetime of the set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangs1 /forum/post/18262885


Really depends. Are you picky about black levels. For the record, the black levels will still be better than 80% of TV's out there just not better than 95% like at the beginning, and will still blow away any 720 dollar TV. The blacks do triple through 2,000 hours, but MOST people don't notice. Do you watch TV in a pitch dark room? It isn't noticeable at all in a lit room.


All indications are that the S2 has the exact same amount of rise within 2,000 hours, but the rise is broken up into many smaller "adjustments".


And fwiw, the S1 has the same black level as the flagship V10 and Z1

IF that's the case then wouldn't it be better to just get the LED LCD?

After 2000 hrs LED LCD would be better than Plasma?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa /forum/post/18536646


IF that's the case then wouldn't it be better to just get the LED LCD?

No. LED LCD TVs have too many other various issues and problems and complaints from owners. And they still suffer from motion blur and poor off-angle viewing quality.


Quote:
After 2000 hrs LED LCD would be better than Plasma?

The only thing about an LED LCD that may be better is that some of the higher-end models may have the same or better black levels than a "risen" Panasonic plasma would, but you have to watch that LED from straight on. And the blacks on a good LED LCD get crushed and they don't have good shadow detail like they do on a plasma. And the better LED LCD TVs tend to cost more than double what a same-sized Panasonic plasma goes for.


I am attracted to the pop and unrealistically bright white levels of a good LED LCD TV, but in the real world the plasmas still have a more realistic and natural image than any LCD based display due to the nature of the screen technology.


The new/current Panasonics (S2, G25, VT25) have better black levels than the S1/G10/V10 and even after they rise, they're still overall better than any other TV you can buy.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top