AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at going out and buying a 42" tv locally tonight

as I'm in canada tvs are really overpriced to begin with so I want to save money if possible. I'm either going to buy a 42s1 or 42g15

the extra girth of the S1 doesn't bother me so is it worth spending $300 more just for THX mode? what exactly does it do? is it something that you cant' replicate by calibration?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
THX mode alone isn't a good reason to pay the extra money for the G10.

Though I enjoy it, most people find it too dim. However better color accuracy, better blacks, 1080/48 mode (which a lot of folks don't like), and viera cast ARE good reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Love THX and don't find it dim at all, but thats me. I use it exclusively for bluray and dvd's and now that I have it, couldn't do without it. I'm Canadian and live in Chicago and I do have to agree with you that prices in Canada on electronics are horrendous compared to the States. I can't say that I would have purchased the G10 if I lived up there, but I'm glad I have it down here...

·
Registered
272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram /forum/post/16983049

THX mode alone isn't a good reason to pay the extra money for the G10.

Though I enjoy it, most people find it too dim. However better color accuracy, better blacks, 1080/48 mode (which a lot of folks don't like), and viera cast ARE good reasons.

I read the G and S threads. How does the G have better color accuracy when it's the same panel as the S? Do you mean out of the box perhaps?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I think it only has better color accuracy in THX mode. And many people don't even like the 48Hz mode as it's too low of a refresh rate and causes flickering.

With that said, the price difference between the S1 and G10 is not very much.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/17009811

What level contrast in custom mode would be equal light output to THX mode on g10?

I just experimented with my Custom mode and i ended up with Contrast at +39 and Brightness at +40 to get the picture to look like the default settings in THX mode (comparing various freeze frames of a recorded HD Nascar Race).

My normal Custom setting is Contrast at +81 and Brightness at +45. THX is unbearable when i watch DVDs in a completely dark room, so i use another Custom mode instead.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The THX mode is the only mode I use on my 58 800u. All the others are pure junk on that set. That being said If i had to do it all over again, I would ignore all sets that claim as a selling point THX, I find Samsungs that dont have it look better than Pannys that have thx! But I bought a Panny because they are well built and last a long time.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 761-honda /forum/post/17010179

The THX mode is the only mode I use on my 58 800u. All the others are pure junk on that set.....

But IIRC, it's been said numerous times that the THX mode on the current G10 and V10 is much dimmer than the THX mode on last year's 800U.

·
Registered
553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/17010193

But IIRC, it's been said numerous times that the THX mode on the current G10 and V10 is much dimmer than the THX mode on last year's 800U.

Thank God, I didnt buy the 65 V10 when my local store had it for 2699. It was the end of the run for the V10. THX mode

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
For the majority of us, an accurate color gamut and grayscale results in what some would say makes your 2010 HDTV look like it was made in 1967. (ok maybe thats a stretch)

When a tv has user menu controls, it really all boils down to taste. I also use custom on my S1, and my father in law uses Custom on his G10. He cannot find a good use for THX mode, even in a dark setting. It is simply too dull, muted, lacks contrast, and seems greenish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.