AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an lp350 and a little while ago bought a dalite HC screen 1.85:1 92" wide. Without thinking I mounted it over a scrren that I had made with curtain blackout. It mounted over it easily because the old screen was a little smaller and the new screen is on a fixed frame.

There doesnt seem to be a big improvement on black levels, in fact Im not sure that I ever noticed any improvement at all.

I have since seen that some level of light is coming through and hitting the old screen then presumably bouncing back on to the dalite screen. Has anybody been in this position and found that the light reflecting back does have anyy effect on the image? I suppose it does but it will be a real hassle to fix it right now. Of course I will if I have to, possibly you can save me some experimentation?

Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
774 Posts
Jason,

Yes, light reflecting off the old screen will come back through the main screen and reduce contrast as well as cause some light haloing around bright objects on a dark background.

I had this problem many times when trying to demo projectors using many of the DaLite FastFold screens when I had a light colored wall behind the screen.

Replace the old material with a matte black cloth of some sort to absorb the light that passes through the screen.

Almost, if not all, Stewart screens and some of the other Draper and DaLite materials have opaque backing that eliminates the problem.

Regards,

------------------

Tom Stites

Director, Business Development

Digital Systems Division

JVC Professional Products

"My opinions do not necessarily reflect..."

·
Registered
835 Posts
Tom is right, all Stewart screens can be made completely non-transparent as an option and the Greyhawk is already naturally non-transparent. It's worth noting that the option is free of charge, it's nice to know all the money you pay for the screen gets you something! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.