AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Toshiba 56H80 and I'm pretty happy with it. But I'm wondering what it means to be "HDTV compatible"? I have a Dish model 6000 and normally have it set to 1080i. But I decided to try switching it to 720P to see what it would look like on the Toshiba that can't do native 720P. It just went blank. I had to switch to the S-video input to switch the model 6000 back to 1080i mode.

I would have thought that to be "HDTV compatible" then then set would have to be able to accept all 18 ATSC formats and be able to display them in some format. I.e. I thought the Toshiba 56H80 could do 720P->1080i upconversion. But as far as I could tell, it couldn't.

Can the Toshiba 56H80 do 720P->1080i upconversion? If so, what did I do wrong?

What does it really mean to be "HDTV compatible" or "HDTV ready"?

What is the standard STB -> HDTV-compatible/ready set connector? (Or is there such a standard? We've seen VGA/RGB, RCA component, BNC component, etc.)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
HD compatible just means that it can, with the aid of an external decoder, display 720p or 1080i, i.e. one of the HD formats. It is assumed that the external decoder will accept all ATSC formats, and convert them to the format(s) supported by the display.

Very few RPTVs will do 720p.

------------------

Dean Roddey

The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
[email protected]
www.charmedquark.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.