AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading the software on my new HTPC and trying to boot off of a CD in a Toshiba 1502 DVD player. Can't get it to boot off of the CD. Is this drive bootable? Or is software required to be loaded to boot off of the Toshiba?

Thanks,

-Jym-

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
it works for me. I have a SD-M1502.

If you are talking about installing Windows, yes.

If you check your BIOS and make sure that you have the boot priority set to CDROM first then you should be able to boot with a Windows ME or higher CDROM in the drive. Maybe Windows 98, but I can't remember.

Windows then comes up with option to boot from hard disk, boot with cd rom support, or start windows setup.

should work for you. also check your motherboard manual, if you have it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The BIOS is set to boot from CD drive.

I have tried a bootable Windows 95 R2, Windows 98 and a ME. Don't know what is up.

This is really aggreviating.

Going to have to create a floppy and then get to the DVD drive and install.

Someways it does not matter. I am really trying to install Win2k and they are never bootable. I usually install Windows 98 first so I can get to drive and then install Win2k fresh.

This way I will really just remove a step but have to create floopys.

-Jym-

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
only other things I would think of is connect it as a Master device, make sure the jumpers on the back are set correctly, remove any of the other devices from the BIOS boot priority, remove any other CDR/CDRW drives or ATAPI devices.

good luck.

and Oh, you're lucky, trying to figure the steps to install on a RAID system with no other HDs was a little brainteaser for myself.:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jym:

In addition to setting your BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first,

set also wherever your DVD drive is (primary or sec. master) to "auto" instead of "none" in the BIOS.

Then your DVD-ROM will be automatically recognized at bootup during the POST, and it should boot from it properly.

My older 1202 boots up fine, so there is no doubt that yours is also capable.

BTW, does your motherboard have an AWARD BIOS?

Alex

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Also, there are known problems with some older 440BX chipsets boards that have the option in the BIOS, but will not actually work.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.