AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own 2 Axiom M60Ti's for my fronts and I like them, have had them for 8 years I believe...just wanted to try a different sound out of boredom and to see what else is out there. For the very cheap price the JBL ES90s keep catching my eye, especially since the UHF tweeter, and I listen to lots of SACD/DVD-As and want to experience sounds "outside our hearing range". But since they are so cheap, would I be disappointed you think? Are they in another class compared to the M60s? The Axioms are very flat with decent bass output when I do stereo pure direct analog listening, slight drop around some highs I believe. Again, I wouldn't be getting rid of the Axioms, just want to try some different speakers since its been years and countless models I missed experiencing to further refine my tastes, any input from people who have personally heard both would be appreciated, since searching here and the web yields no comparisons.

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
If you want to experience a good JBL speaker step up to the Studio line. The L890 would probably be a step up from your Axiom speakers. The ES90 is cheap for a reason. Harman can't hardly give them away.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking into the L890s now, look tremendous and still have the UHF tweeter I wanted to have to toy around listening to and final experience, thanks for heads up. Yea its hard to believe the ES90S/80s are that bad, first glance they seemed very cool for the price but I don't hear any good input about them from anyone. Like the Klipsch speakers I heard at best buy once, ugh... bottom of line Klipsch are atrocious

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Also look at the JBL Studio 2 series - and even better, the JBL Studio 5 series.

They can do with only 1 tweeter, what the other designs are tryin to do with
them 2 tweeters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also look at the JBL Studio 2 series - and even better, the JBL Studio 5 series.

They can do with only 1 tweeter, what the other designs are tryin to do with
them 2 tweeters.

Thanks Zie, all choices look very good and along the lines of what I want from my fronts. Those MB Q speakers you have in your sig... bookshelves right? I remember looking into them a while back I think, just impossible to find. When I got my license and was into car audio around 12 years ago I always remember MB Quartz being the best components I had in my car at least, how you like them for home?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
One thing I have learned from going to events and hearing lots of different things is that is you never judge a speaker by it's price! I have even learned that most recently as I heard a set of DIY speakers that cost about $200 bucks a piece and they winded up being a fantastic speaker. They really blew me away. I would say those speakers sounded on par with speakers I have heard in the $3 and $4K range.

Below is a pretty cool video from Harman just about this subject. Double blind is the way to go!!

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Thanks Zie, all choices look very good and along the lines of what I want from my fronts. Those MB Q speakers you have in your sig... bookshelves right? I remember looking into them a while back I think, just impossible to find. When I got my license and was into car audio around 12 years ago I always remember MB Quartz being the best components I had in my car at least, how you like them for home?
Those are the high-end MB Quart that were bought on close-out pricing,
they are some serious good sounding speakers - transparant and clean.
My subjective review
http://forums.audioholics.com/forum...shelf-speakers-my-take-and-impressions.89820/

Some former MB Quart towers can be found here - sold by the pair and
new - I would really think about them
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-Quart-QL...835?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e0001a6b

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's cool reef, I always wanted to a/b speakers in my same environment with all other variables being the same, because you're right that is the ultimate test! Obviously its just near impossible to snap fingers and have two different brands in my room, boy I wish I won the lottery because I would spend months testing them all lol. I do love reading and researching about speakers, but in the end your ears will tell you how well the speakers are manipulating the air pressure, not words on some article.

Thanks for that Zieg, I have never heard them in home audio and would really love to, like I said back in my car audio spending days I was all about JL Audio for the woofer and MB Q for other components and crossovers. Checking out your review now, and I will continue to keep an eye on ebay and the second hand market, can't believe I haven't seen these before for the home market!

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Thanks for that Zieg, I have never heard them in home audio and would really love to, like I said back in my car audio spending days I was all about JL Audio for the woofer and MB Q for other components and crossovers. Checking out your review now, and I will continue to keep an eye on ebay and the second hand market, can't believe I haven't seen these before for the home market!
This is a review of the higher-end Vera speakers
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/mb-quart-vera-vs-1f-speaker-system

This is a picture of what my bookshelf speakers look like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts