AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this site: http://www.usdtv.com/index.html .

It looks like they are selling a service to deliver OTA broadcasts -- what everyone else calls free OTA broadcasts.

It looks a whole lot like they're trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge. I'm I missing something, or is this a complete scam?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... maybe you're right. But they keep calling it a "service," which would imply monthly payments to me. Maybe they throw in installation or something.

This quote seems suspicious, too: "Additionally, viewers will receive USDTV’s live video program guide, that displays thumbnail feeds of live HDTV programs. As the USDTV service develops, future programming will include exclusive TV programs, news, weather, sports, and video games, all in digital or HD quality." [emphasis added]

USDTV's program guide? I thought the broadcasters sent that out. Exclusive programming? How're they gonna do that with an OTA STB?

Maybe this is just marketing. Maybe it's a scam. Who knows, maybe it's legit. Sure smells fishy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It does seem odd. Looks like they are selling an OTA only Samsung HD receiver and a $30 antenna. Their "service" is only available in parts of Utah.

Call them. See what they are up to.....

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Could be the locals in that part of the country are selling some of their bandwidth to this company, which will do gemstar kind of thing by providing commercial funded program guides.

If usdtv has access to the bandwidth they could provide alternate programing, possibly even some PPV type things.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. . . is it possible to do PPV with an OTA signal? I guess they could scramble & sell descrambler boxes. . . . OTA boxes don't have any way to do PPV on their own, do they? Would the FCC allow broadcast PPV? I thought all OTA was supposed to be free.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
All the law requires of a commercial OTA DTV station is a least one program stream of SDTV service for free. The rest of the data payload may be used for free or pay HDTV or SDTV or any combination thereof. So far, most commercial DTV stations offer SDTV and/or HDTV for free as a commercial sponsor-supported service but they are not prohibited from creating SD or HD pay services so long as there's at least one free channel available, too.

Some members of Congress like to refer to "gentlemens' agreements" that networks, O&Os and affiliates "promised" the Congress that they'd provide "some" free HDTV in exchange for the spectrum required to do so but, oddly it was never codified.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.....right?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My sources tell me that the previously-planned interactive stuff is out.

They plan to sell a "mini-cable" service, of several of the most popular cable nets, together with a program guide, for just a few dollars a month. This would operate in conjunction with the free OTA stations, giving people an option to having to still subscribe to cable.

·
Registered
22,259 Posts
Seems like a scam, but IMO, I think not. Their 'sales pitch' is no more vague (deceptive?) than Comcast's or D*'s advertisements!

They are just capitalizing on the DTV potential to the majority of folks that are technically challanged (in the Utah area).

Pretty smart! Re-sell 'em a Sammy STB and a crappy indoor antenna, then provide a service for installation and setup (for an additional fee). If the indoor antenna doesn't work (which in many cases it won't... as many of us know!), they are guaranteed an outdoor/attic antenna installation (parts and labor, perhaps $300?). Easy money...

It's got me thinking about early retirement!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.