AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in an apartment complex and want to maximize the volume for the full theatrical experience, but don't want to disturb neighbors. Will listening through headphones still give me good enough sound quality and have enough impact, or is it not even worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Headphones won't give you that kick in the chest feeling when your sub is working overtime, but being that you are in an apartment complex and concerned about your neighbors, a good pair of "surround" headphones is a great option. And no, surround headphones do not have 4 earpieces, 2 for your ears, one for your forehead and the other for the back of your head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I did that for years. I'd rather listen through a good pair of headphones than an average pair of bookshelf speakers. In fact I still choose headphones over $4000 speaqkers once a week or so if I really want to tune the rest of the world out. You will obviously not get chest pounding bass, and some will argue it's a big problem that music is mixed for proper imaging through speakers not headphones. But you can get flatter response over a broader frequency range, and as you mentioned, you can crank up the volume to your heart's content without disturbing the neighbors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts
When I lived in an apt I used headphones more often than not as to be able to enjoy

my music at the level i preferred.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14331754


Headphones won't give you that kick in the chest feeling when your sub is working overtime, but being that you are in an apartment complex and concerned about your neighbors, a good pair of "surround" headphones is a great option. And no, surround headphones do not have 4 earpieces, 2 for your ears, one for your forehead and the other for the back of your head.

Lol, yeah I have been considering getting some lately. The speakers I have are nice, although only pro-logic - 2 in front and 2 behind (Infinity and Onkyo respectively) and I have no subwoofer. The Infinitiys have strong bass punch, but the rear don't make much difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
no headphone will give you that "OMG" kick that a good speaker system will give you, but the one thing that headphones can give you is very good detail and that's what is needed when you are trying to understand the speech of the actors.


I'd consider headphones to be a very important part of an apartment system. For $300, you can score some very nice sounding headphones like the Denon AH-D2000 which is my top recommendation for general use headphones. Unlike some other "audiophile" headphones, this headphone has decent bass kick without going overboard, and will sound balanced for music also.


I don't recommend the "surround headphones". I'd rather have good single driver "stereo" headphones than trying to jam a bunch of poorer quality drivers into one earpiece to simulate surround sound. Most of them don't sound very good. There are some very promising developments in the world of headphone processing circuitry to mimic surround sound properly (like the amazing Smyth Virtual Surround system) but right now, the technology is expensive and new, but even someday we may actually prefer listening to headphones for surround sound material.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/14332743


no headphone will give you that "OMG" kick that a good speaker system will give you, but the one thing that headphones can give you is very good detail and that's what is needed when you are trying to understand the speech of the actors.


I'd consider headphones to be a very important part of an apartment system. For $300, you can score some very nice sounding headphones like the Denon AH-D2000 which is my top recommendation for general use headphones. Unlike some other "audiophile" headphones, this headphone has decent bass kick without going overboard, and will sound balanced for music also.


I don't recommend the "surround headphones". I'd rather have good single driver "stereo" headphones than trying to jam a bunch of poorer quality drivers into one earpiece to simulate surround sound. Most of them don't sound very good. There are some very promising developments in the world of headphone processing circuitry to mimic surround sound properly (like the amazing Smyth Virtual Surround system) but right now, the technology is expensive and new, but even someday we may actually prefer listening to headphones for surround sound material.

Yeah, I am going to get a pair of solid stereos event. I just bought some Koss deep bass stereo headphones used for portable DVD players, spent about $30. They should hold me over until I can spend over 100 on some good stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
I have a pretty good speaker setup (Monitor Audio GS60/GSLCR/GS10 + Martin Logan Depth) but I still find time at least once a week to enjoy my 8 yr old Grado RS1..

It's true that headphones won't offer you the chest pumping bass and sound image usually isn't quite as good as well..

However, a good pair of can can offer you lots of detail, really good treble & mid, especially vocal, and sound quality matching really hi-end speakers..

I would like to think the 2 can and should co-exist in any audiophile's home..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinking /forum/post/14333767


I have a pretty good speaker setup (Monitor Audio GS60/GSLCR/GS10 + Martin Logan Depth) but I still find time at least once a week to enjoy my 8 yr old Grado RS1..

It's true that headphones won't offer you the chest pumping bass and sound image usually isn't quite as good as well..

However, a good pair of can can offer you lots of detail, really good treble & mid, especially vocal, and sound quality matching really hi-end speakers..

I would like to think the 2 can and should co-exist in any audiophile's home..

They do at my house and with my Mac and I-POD on the go.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top