AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get an open box VRP1200 at Circuit city for $79! They've been clearing them out for a while I was lucky to find one.

I was initially looking at a BIC H100 for my 15 x 13 room, but is it worth the price difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hary /forum/post/14214025

I was able to get an open box VRP1200 at Circuit city for $79! They've been clearing them out for a while I was lucky to find one.

I was initially looking at a BIC H100 for my 15 x 13 room, but is it worth the price difference?

Thanks!

While I feel there are plenty of better choices out there for subs in the $350 range (normal street price of VRP-1200), for $79 this is too good of a deal to pass up. Snatch it up and enjoy it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I guess I'll keep it! You may also be able to find an open box at CC. They are $100 in their system (whatever price is shown on the model), then they give you another 20% off for the display...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Hary, that's how I got the DPS-10. It was listed in the store at $171 on clearance, but I guess they lowered that by another $20 online since then, so I got the open box discount of the lowered price. They didn't have the VRP1200 in the store that I went into but I wish I could listened to them side by side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jim,

I've been to some other stores and they did have the DPS-10 but not in such good shape (I'm in Chicagoland)! Are the VRP1200 and DPS-10 supposed to have the same SQ?

I tried mine yesterday, so far so good, except I don't have the Y cable that they recommend.

By the way, my current sub is a Sony SAWM40 (modded) I had bought 5 years ago!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I paid two much! Just bought at CC 12" for $100 and a 10" for $75. Had to buy warranty for 12", didn't work. Velodyne wanted me to pay shipping to them, guessing it would have been 25 to 30 dollars. warranty was $40 to get circuit city to repair it. it was the last one they had. what bothers me is that many people are saying it is a low end sub and will not reach low frequencies. Oh! mine where not open box, new in the box.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron /forum/post/14224713

I paid two much! Just bought at CC 12" for $100 and a 10" for $75. Had to buy warranty for 12", didn't work. Velodyne wanted me to pay shipping to them, guessing it would have been 25 to 30 dollars. warranty was $40 to get circuit city to repair it. it was the last one they had. what bothers me is that many people are saying it is a low end sub and will not reach low frequencies. Oh! mine where not open box, new in the box.

The VRP-1200 is not a high end sub, but in the

·
Registered
19 Posts
You made me feel better about my buy. I have spent way to much time reading about subs. I felt it was a good buy and I will keep it. What will I achieve by setting up two subs?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
For $140 still a decent sub. 2 subs will sound louder. So if one sounds good you will like 2. But if your not sure if you like it save your $$ and buy a better sub later. If the $500+ range is too much another would put you @ $300. That would save you $$ if you don't buy another for a few years

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hooked up the veloldyne vpr 1000 and my sony subwoofers today. it rocks. I sent the vpr 1200 in for repair today. Should be getting it back, ? when it gets back? will be hooking the 1000 and 1200.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Hary,

I suppose that being a 12", I would expect the VRP to go deeper, but not too sure. I would expect the sound quality in these subs to be more similar than different though. I also think that the normal price difference between these two models have to do with the onboard DSP modes of the DPS-10. Haven't played around too much with mine as I set this on jazz/classical (which I hear is the "flat" setting). Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase since the price was so darn low! I was going to buy an AV123 X-sub (8") which was really nice looking, but even that was over 200 shipped.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I don't think this is a matter of "is this a good buy for the $$$" really if its made well from a company that understands subs (velodyne) has an amp, box and driver ready to go, for $80, you CANNOT go wrong. Sure there may be other insane deals that pop up (that Shifter character may go nuts some day and sell all his X subs for $80
) but I would not worry at all about buyers remorse. Even if you had a lot more to dump into a sub, someday, you can give that one to a friend who has nothing or move it into another room of the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts