AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plasma does not have any DVI or VGA input but I'd like to use my HTPC that have a DVI and a VGA output for dual monitor (split screens). But my dumb plasma only have 3 HDMI inputs... I know that it's possible to get a DVI to HDMI cable but is it possible to get the VGA to put the signal for the HDMI?

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannieboiz /forum/post/0

My plasma does not have any DVI or VGA input but I'd like to use my HTPC that have a DVI and a VGA output for dual monitor (split screens). But my dumb plasma only have 3 HDMI inputs... I know that it's possible to get a DVI to HDMI cable but is it possible to get the VGA to put the signal for the HDMI?

Yes, it is possible (you could get a VGA to DVI-D converter and a DVI-D->HDMI adapter), but that would cost you more than a new video card.

If you really don't want to use the DVI on your current card, you're better off getting a new card with dual DVI.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
No there isn't any real cheap way of converting analog vga to digital dvi/hdmi. Is there a reason why do don't want to just get a DVI to HDMI cable?

Also when you said you want to do split screens, are they going to be showing the same picture (cloning?) or doing expanded desktop?

- Josh

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing expanded desktop. One side is going to play music/karaoke video while the other side have the folders and directory for my guests browse through the 1tb or so have DVD collection. A cheaper way woud be for me to put a 15" or 17" LCD by the plasma and use the VGA there and DVI on the plasma but then my entertainment center would look too busy.

Have a Diamond Stealth S85 @ the moment.... I guess my cheaper option is to get a dual DVI Card.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
yea I'd say just find a dual DVI video card.

- Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.