AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start a discussion about Voom, which is a sat service that is supposed to cater to the HD market. I would like to find out if anyone has signed up with them and how they like Voom's service, quality of signal and also how they like their customer service. I now have Comcast, which supplies me with the HD channels of ESPN, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, WB, Discovery ND Thtr, INHD and INHD2 and my local sports channel Comcast Sportsnet (I know that I would lose the last of these).

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Use the search function. There are countless threads about Voom.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Do a search. VOOM has been discussed here for over a year, even prior to it's inception.

It's rare that right now there are no current VOOM topic on the first few pages of the forum.

Also, read the HDTV Programming Synopsis and US DBS providers topic for a lot more info.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
In a nutshell, IMHO: Fine service - Lousy receiver.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Voom doesn't retransmit the major ota networks on satellite: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, WB, UPN or PBS. Your reception of the local affiliates of these nets will depend on your location. If local reception is not a problem then Voom is a good option.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by golem
receiver works well for me :)
It is just not user friendly. Just about impossible to surf. No problem with PQ or audio.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually, I'd like to second this thread. I've done the searches but I haven't turned up many VOOM centered threads at all, mainly an assortment of threads that mention VOOM once or twice. I think this thread is a great idea for people like me who are trying to make THE decision. And, while I appreciate the references to the satellite guys site, that site appears to be sponsored by VOOM. Thus, I would prefer to hear comments about it right here.

If other VOOM users could chime in, anything you would like to relate about recent issues with VOOM (good and bad) would be greatly appreciated! The idea behind this thread would be a sort of owner's thread like they have for TVs, something that's particularly relevant given that satellite services change a lot more over time than hardware!

I'd like to start off by saying that, as a non-VOOM user, I've read reports on the newstand right now and throughout 2004 in the AV magazines, talked to current users, and read these forums, and these sources seem to present the following picture:

1. VOOM HD is at least as good as DirectTV and Dish HD PQ, and many claim it's better, with less signal compression, etc

2. Some claim all non-HD VOOM channels are actually better quality than in competing services

3. Reception issues seem to be a persistent but minor problem, and owners have told me once these issues were cleared (either with a larger dish or with repeated technician visits to the home), things were great.

4. There seems to be agreement that the VOOM specific channels can be a bit limited and hokey at times but by and large are actually more worthwhile than skeptics might at first assume, making the overall HD offerings of VOOM more or less live up to billing.

5. The costs of VOOM seem at least competitive, if not slightly ahead of the competition in some ways.

6. VOOM has done things that make many question the long-term business viability, like cut employee salaries earlier this year. Also, they don't yet offer an HD tivo-like device.

7. VOOM has some shortages in SD channels compared to the competition that irks some, but their channel lineup is increasing constantly.

I don't work for VOOM and don't have the service yet, but this is what I've gathered from my research so far. I'd love for current users to comment on any or all of these points?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I just canceled VOOM today after having it for three months. Here are my feelings (and please remember that all of my views in regards to pricing are based on the old, zero dollar install program)

1. Pricing- Good. Not anything super spectacular, but very very competitve. Give and take.

2. PQ- Excellent. This is one area where VOOM really shines. Of course, I live just a few miles from the OTA locals, so I had no problems there either.

3.Programming Guide-Excellent-to-Most Excellent, almost perfect! This is the best feature of the voom box, in which you can reall have control of seeing whats on and sorting by HD.

4. Reliability and Service- Well, I started this post by saying that I just cancelled VOOM, so there had to be a reason, right? Well, here it is. ESPN HD and ESPN2 and ESPN Classic all died on me, and after my first call was told that it would be back soon. One weekend later, no HD college or sunday night football and I placed another call to them, at which time they said that they needed to send a technicition out. Well, they then hung up on me before scheduling, then never called me back.

I went on to call my local time warner cable (who recently added ESPNHD) and they told me that they now have their HD DVR out, and the total with everything is cheaper than VOOM. So I switched. The decrease in PQ ended up being worth the switch, much to my dismay. Hope this POV helped.

·
Registered
23,805 Posts
I'd agree with 1 and 2, but disagree on 3 and 4. I never had a problem with service or reliability (once they stabilized the STB with the last upgrade). But I'd rate the guide interface adequate - to - poor when compared to Hughes or even E*.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_in_L.A.
I don't work for VOOM and don't have the service yet, but this is what I've gathered from my research so far. I'd love for current users to comment on any or all of these points?
You're points seem well researched. I switched from D* to V* about 5 months ago. I found the HD picture quality to be on par with each other. Now since then both services have added more HD channels but haven't increased their bandwidth so I can't give you current comparison. However, I am pleased with my current PQ on both HD and SD channels for my 64" TV. There are a few problems such as "sparklies" on certain channels but that has been acknowledged and has improved on some of the channels.

The hardware has gotten alot better and now has the ability to scan for OTA local channels not in your guide. It does not add the guide info for them though. I never have lock ups but some people do. I think this is because I surf using my guide instead of the CH UP/CH DWN button.

As for the Voom exclusives check them out for yourself. You can look at the program guide online here . It's getting better all the time. As far as channels missing, the main two seem to be Food Network and HGTV (at least at my house).

As for their future prospects, I'll have to quote HobeSoundDarryl in this thread . I think you need to base your choice on which provider best fits your needs and if they stop fitting them you should re-evaluate your decision.

If I didn't answer all of your questions ask away and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GrantMeThePower
ESPN HD and ESPN2 and ESPN Classic all died on me...
GrantMeThePower, this problem is usually caused by bad LNB, diplexer or multiswitch. Let me know if you need further help.

As for original question, I've been VOOMing for almost a year and can't imagine going with anything else at this point. For me, it's all about HD and being able to watch HD almost 100% of the time. I love VOOM's exclusive programming, though not everyone does. This is an important factor too. PQ varies from program to program, but overall I am happy with it. Can't compare with other providers, since for the past few months VOOM is my only source of TV. Customer service is good, though not very technical: Internet forums are usually more helpful. The biggest shortcoming is the absence of HD DVR, but it is expected to be released soon, plus with 40+ HD channels delivered via VOOM box, it's less of an issue, since there is always something to watch in HD.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Excellent replies all, keep em coming!

Quote:
Well, they then hung up on me before scheduling, then never called me back.
I forgot to mention that I actually called VOOM myself last week and had a less than satisfactory experience. The salesperson was obviously not that knowledgeable and under time pressure (seemed uncomfortable answering more than 2 yes or no questions), and mid way through my call for info I was cut off mysteriously. I was about ready to chock it up to a random glitch, but now I'm not so sure. Any similar experiences? I definitely don't like the idea of paying out $200+ only to find once they have you on the hook that customer service is that bad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I pretty much agree with dparker, except that VOOM does integrate my locals guide info here in Iowa.

I got VOOM in July when there was no up front fee and no commitment. I'm very pleased with the programming, the PG (better than my RCA D* box), the PQ and the reliability since the 6.20 upgrade.

Customer service has been no better/worse than D* which is so-so. VOOM did provide a free OTA antenna upgrade which was a great deal (two foot tripod, eight foot mast and 92 inch antenna). The installer did hit me for a $40 fee which I was glad to pay but I don't know if it was VOOM's fault. Either way, a good deal for a service call and two man crew for one hour.

The biggest knock against VOOM seems to be in multiple box installations; each box is $10 per month. More than two of those may be hard to justify. I plan to add a 2nd box and discontinue D* (except NFL-ST) soon.

VOOM works for me! Check for new install tips/deals at the satellite guys site.

BC

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've been with V* since last March and my experince has been very positive. No problems with customer service. Like Ilya said, the best thing about VOOM is that there is always something to watch in HD.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I'm on the fence about cancelling my Voom sub:

They have several channels that are ridden with "mosquito noise" and drive me nuts!

Watching the baseball playoffs via local OTA Fox HD and comparing the PQ on the Voom stb and my Dish 6000 yeilded this:

VOOM stb: widefield shots make the grass "dance" and appear smudgey, as if out of focus in spots.

Dish stb: same shots, the grass had a bit of noise but was stable.

Both stb's were receiving the same OTA signal and displaying on my pj via component inputs.

And on January 1st, the price goes to $49.90 for the basic package, that is probably my jumping off point if they don't improve PQ by then.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Been Vooming since December 1st and would not consider another service.

Great PQ, great audio.

SD PQ MUCH BETTER than DISH or Comcast

Exclusive channels have outstanding content and the vareity is getting better every month.

We now are watching nearly 100% HD. The only exception is a soap and occasinally CNN. Other than those exceptions, we have happily left behind SD.

VOOM...while not perfect, is the best choice for the most and the best quality HD service (unless sports is your main interest).

As for the box - no problems surfing here. It does lock up once in a while but it's not often and a reboot fixes the problem. The guide is good, surfing is fast.

To sum up...

We'll be VOOMing until either they, or we, go dark.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.